Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 08:15 PM

374 posts, read 1,599,031 times

Advertisements

My anniversary is in the fall and I was thinking of finding a cabin overlooking the mountains, and wondered if any one has a suggestion on what town to look at. I dont want to drive any more than 4 hours from Wake Forest. Is Asheville pretty much where everyone goes?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 08:31 PM

233 posts, read 860,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfamilyof4 View Post
My anniversary is in the fall and I was thinking of finding a cabin overlooking the mountains, and wondered if any one has a suggestion on what town to look at. I dont want to drive any more than 4 hours from Wake Forest. Is Asheville pretty much where everyone goes?

TIA
Boone is beautiful in the fall!! Lots to do up there, great Main St. with shops and restaurants. Grandfather Mountain, etc.... I love that area!!

Boone Convention & Visitors Bureau [ www.visitboonenc.com ]

Old 08-07-2007, 09:31 PM

5 posts, read 22,918 times
I love going to the mountains, and find myself at a little bed and breakfast called Sugar Hollow Retreat <www.sugarhollowretreat.com>. It's a quick drive from Raleigh--around four hours. If you want something secluded and beautiful, that's the place to be! Best of luck to ya.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:41 PM

381 posts, read 1,326,101 times
Default Little Switzerland

Go to Little Switzerland. Beautiful area, and cute little chalets. Perfect for a nice anniversary getaway.

Little Switzerland, North Carolina: Switzerland Inn

They also have neat little a-frame cabins.

Enjoy,
Mike

PS: If you want to go to the mountains any time in October of this year, you need to make those reservations NOW. October is the busiest time of the year for hte NC mountains, and many places are already completely booked.

Last edited by Mikeheel; 08-07-2007 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: added note about timing

Old 08-08-2007, 05:26 AM

336 posts, read 1,495,987 times
i used to live in boone, and that entire area is beautiful, with lots to do. there is an adjacent town, blowing rock, that is also very charming. both areas have a lot of bed and breakfasts, cabin rentals, nice hotels, etc. LOTS of great restaurants too. i highly recommend the "high country". also, it's closer than asheville. boone is about a 3 hour drive from the triangle area.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:09 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,359,291 times
Asheville is quite nice, but it will be tight to make it there in 4 hours. The mountains are really nice in that part of NC, with the tallest mountains in the Appalachians. That also means fall foliage comes a little earlier. Lots of nice areas nearby where you can get a cabin rental, and there is of course the Biltmore House. It may be a little farther than 4hrs away, though.

A little closer to home is the area near Blowing Rock and Boone, which is around 3-3.5hrs away depending on where you are heading. The mountains are really nice here as well. Lots of nice parks, like Moses Cone and Julian Price, and plenty of easy-to-moderate hiking trails. Blowing Rock is a nice touristy town in the mountains with lots of small shops. There is also Valle Crucis, which I like a lot and where we rented our last cabin. It is about 10 minutes from Boone, and you can get to Blowing Rock in about 15 minutes or so.

Either of these, as well as several other places, would be a wonderful vacation spot. Check out VRBO for cabin rentals - there are some really nice ones.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:51 AM

101 posts, read 466,813 times
Try looking at The Mast Farm Inn website. wwwmastfarminn.com

We stayed there back in May and thought it would be a beautiful place to spend an anniversary or honeymoon. Food is very different to 'normal' american fare. They use organic produce and the meals are works of art! You can also rent a porsche for a day or so to drive down the Blue Ridge Parkway. All part of the family business.
It's somewhere I've put on my wishlist of places to go and visit again.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:59 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,524,468 times
We have stayed here in Banner Elk and loved it. It's at the top of Sugar mountain.

Sugar Ski and Country Club - Great Accommodations on Sugar Mountain

Grandfather Mountain and Linville Falls are great things to do around there.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:30 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,726,363 times
Can you do some hiking in Boone or Swizterland? I want to do this in early Jan when the family comes up. I would imagine that driving to those places in wintery weather would be somewhat scary. Is that the case?

Old 08-08-2007, 06:00 PM

374 posts, read 1,599,031 times
awesome!! thanks everybody. we are in luck that our anniversary falls AFTER the last peak weekend so rates go down and availability goes UP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary