Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 01:05 PM

3 posts, read 8,077 times

Advertisements

Hello, my wife and I just moved to Raleigh because my wife got a job offer but I can't seem to find a job but that's just part of it. Here's our story and it's crazy. We had lived in Columbus Ohio and had to move to Orlando back in January to help my wife's family, which was suppose to be for one year. After only three months our services were no longer needed (much bigger story and very stressful). We didn't want to stay in Orlando and we always thought Raleigh would be a nice place to live so we started looking for jobs there and back in Columbus. My wife got a job offer in Raleigh and took it. She's really regretting it as things are not as good as she hoped at this place, she is a vet assistant. I can't seem to get a hit on any jobs I apply for which are general business jobs specifically Inventory Control type jobs. I wish we never took the leap and stayed in Orlando where we were living with family and did not have many expenses. I wish we just waited for a job in Columbus where it feels like home and we have friends and family. We had most of our stuff in storage in Columbus and my parents paid to have it moved down here and my dad came down to help us move into an apartment and I feel that was all for nothing now. We're both so stressed out and at our wits end. Now I'm looking for jobs in Columbus too but I can't imagine the possibility of moving for a 3rd time in 4 months! It just feels like our lives are spiraling out of control. I just want to find a job that pays somewhat ok and not some retail or customer service job. It just feels like we will never catch a break. Raleigh does seem nice but I miss Columbus so damn much and our friends and family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 01:17 PM

447 posts, read 1,620,072 times
If you want emotional support, then I suggest you move to Columbus to be near your family/friends network. Moving to a new town just so one spouse can take a low-paying job and no family/friends network is not a good idea. Try the ESC, the newspaper, job fairs to find a job. As for asking for job assistance on here, I don't think you'll have people wanting to recommend you if the first impression you give is yourself stating you regret your past decision-making abilities and feel your life is out of control.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:19 PM

6,454 posts, read 9,816,761 times
Here you go!

U-Haul: Your moving and storage resource

Old 04-21-2011, 01:35 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,167,647 times
No offense, but you need to decide which is worse: (a) stay in Raleigh and take any job you can get your hands on & suck it up or (b) admit you made a mistake, annoy your family who helped you, move to Ohio & suck it up.

No point in bashing you. Obviously you made a mistake not realizing that the recession is happening here too. Jobs are not easy to come by. Now you need to decide for yourself which is worse.

Note to those who slam the "don't move here without a job" posters: this is why we say that. If you don't have a job that pays you enough to live on (or the resources to make it without one), don't move here. You'll be broke and without a support system. This is exhibit A.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:03 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,812 times
Sounds like you know the answer already.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:17 PM

892 posts, read 3,161,897 times
Missing friends and family after a move is normal. Having second thoughts seems normal too. Toss in the job search stress and your old places and people seem even more familiar. Try to keep your chin up and a positive attitude. It sounds like the two of you got here for some good reason - maybe it will be revealed before too long.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:49 PM

82 posts, read 224,312 times
my husband and i moved here 2 months ago, both without jobs and a newborn in tow. it was scary, to say the least, especially since my husband had a job in CA and quit to come here. the reason we decided to move was to be closer to my parents and give our child that family network.

before the move, we both mentally prepared ourselves to spend about a year looking for jobs in our profession, especially since neither one of our professions (marketing and HR) are in huge demand here, an area known for technology and medicine. NOW, that doesn't mean we were just going to sit on our butts in front of the computer until that job came along (not saying that's what you're doing). we were both very much open to:

- entry level jobs or positions that were lower than our experience
- jobs outside of our profession
- part time jobs
- waitressing/odd jobs...

in order to pay the bills until something full-time or our "ideal job" came along.

now... as far as resources for the job hunt... i used simplyhired.com and indeed.com primarily... then linkedin and craigslist. i would recommend broadening your search to positions outside of what you may have experience in. good luck!

Old 04-21-2011, 05:26 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,689,217 times
Have you tried temp agencies? Sometimes that is a good fit for someone with inventory control experience. I did many many inventory jobs when I was a temp. And temping can lead to something more permanent. Pays a bit better than retail also.

I agree with the person who said to keep your chin up. I don't think that you should cut and run just yet. Even a job in retail for a large chain could lead to something in inventory control....

Believe me, I've been un-or under-employed for almost 2 years. It is the best way I know to give your ego and confidence a bashing. I have been at my lowest during this time. Of course you are struggling with self doubt! and therefore the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

Look on the bright side, it was 54 and rainy in columbus today.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:57 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,222,412 times
Calm down...it's gonna work out. It always does if your resilient and relentless.

use indeed.com
use simplyhired.com
use monster/careerbuilder/linkedin/craigslist/linkedup/jibe.com
Temp
Recruiter
Raleighires.com

I see adverts for a ton of pharmaceutical mfg's in the area needing inventory control staff...so go to their website...for novartis, gsk, merck, silax...look for the small pharm mfg's out their as well...

You may have to take a job you don't like until a better offer comes...but don't stress and go crazy..make it happen..

Their is absolutely nothing wrong with taking risk in life...things didn't work out so move on to the next opportunity..

Old 04-21-2011, 06:12 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Quote:
Their is absolutely nothing wrong with taking risk in life...things didn't work out so move on to the next opportunity..
But moving here without having a job in hand is not a good risk to take, regardless of the level of position. I know at least one person who moved waaay back east (New England) while his wife and family remains here. He couldn't find a job here, but he found one there. She has a job here. They love each other. I don't know how long they'll go like that. It's very sad.

But to the OP, hang in there, change your expectations, apply for everything. Do your best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary