Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 09:09 AM

596 posts, read 1,240,083 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever had Banfield spay or neuter thier puppy or kitten, if so did all go well with the procedure? We have always brought our previous dog to Banfield for preventive health care, but never for a surgical procedure and wanted to get some feedback if possible. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 11:33 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
I can't answer for the neutering but we went to Banfield (in Apex) for the first and last time just over a month ago. It was just for check ups and shots for our 2 Shih-Tzus. The Vet tech was very nice and attentive...she weighed our 2 dogs, took their temperatures, did a cursory check. The Vet arrived about 5 minutes later. She NEVER introduced herself and after she realized we were not going to purchase the pet health protection plan/insurance, she had no use for us or our 2 dogs. She barely made eye contact, NEVER smiled nor did she even make any attempt to interact with our dogs. We will never go back there, not even for immunizations.

Last edited by ljd1010; 04-25-2011 at 12:27 PM..

Old 04-25-2011, 11:51 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,745 times
Banfield is really hit or miss based on who you get vet wise and the majority of vets are just out of school and have no real world experience. They always tried to push unneeded tests on me the few times i took my dog because we had a small emergency. They are also much more expensive than private practices because they apart of this organization thingy that im trying to find the name of.... and pay for all the marketing that comes with them being in petsmart.

There are so many good vets around here, it would be a crime to take them to banfield. Try Jordan Lake Animal Hospital in Pittsboro. Dr. Weston is amazing and worth a bit more of a drive. Also: think about this, petsmart isn't a quiet place so its not going to be a nice place for your pets to recover at for a few hours, and do you really want to drag a dog who just had surgery through a busy store?

Last edited by saucystargazer; 04-25-2011 at 12:05 PM..

Old 04-25-2011, 12:00 PM

892 posts, read 3,161,630 times
I would suggest looking elsewhere as well. SNAP-NC: Spay Neuter Assistance Program of North Carolina is mobile and dedicated. Home and/or Cleveland School Animal Hospital : 919-662-7387 are other decent options.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:15 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,028,326 times
I have had bad experiences with Banfield in the past, including giving my cat shots that were completely unneccessary. I also find their prices VERY high. Many on here, myself included, feel so lucky to have found Magnolia Animal Hospital. Great hours, amazing veterinarians, and stellar prices!

Old 04-25-2011, 06:15 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I too had bad experience with Banfield, tho not in N.C. One thing which ticked me off was some kind of "specimen disposal" fee. I was charged for them to throw away a blood sample after it was tested or some such nonsense. I vowed never to go back to a Banfield.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:32 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,874 times
i used SNAP for spay/neuters of all 11 of our cats

actually 3 were done through magnolia but the others were done through SNAP.

awesome team and vet! love love LOVE them!

Old 04-25-2011, 06:36 PM

748 posts, read 1,376,146 times
Wow...we just had a great experience at Banfield today. Our dog has a tumor on his chin and they actually suggested the lower cost treatment first, didn't push any treatment on us and never brought up the pet plans. Our total bill including medicine was $56. I expected at least $200 for the first visit. Gotta say I was very pleased.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:08 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormnc View Post
Wow...we just had a great experience at Banfield today. Our dog has a tumor on his chin and they actually suggested the lower cost treatment first, didn't push any treatment on us and never brought up the pet plans. Our total bill including medicine was $56. I expected at least $200 for the first visit. Gotta say I was very pleased.
Yikes. Not to hijack this thread, but I hope they did an aspiration to find out what kind of tumor it was first? Because mast cell tumors, the most common type of skin tumor, need to be removed ASAP due to the fact that they are cancerous and can't be treated with any medication.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:32 PM

351 posts, read 632,798 times
Our Zoey goes to Banfield at White Oak, Garner. She's on the yearly health plan they offer. They did the neutering and all went well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary