Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2011, 02:30 PM

10 posts, read 32,837 times

Advertisements

This is not an advertisement.

Like the title says, I'm trying to rent out my townhome in Chapel Hill. From my experience looking for rentals in the town we are moving to, I don't have a lot of trust of these property management companies. A quick google search brings up a bunch of companies with terrible reviews and a few "planted" reviews.

I'm not looking to find a company that will allow tenants to destroy my house, then take their security deposit, and not repair anything.

That said, does anyone have any recommendations on a good company? I'm looking for the renter's side or the owner's side.

For what its worth, this would be geared more towards professional school/grad students or young families/professionals, not college kids.

Thanks!
TigerXJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 11:56 AM

169 posts, read 574,903 times
I would appreciate this information as well. I have a house in Chapel Hill that has been on the market and hasn't sold. I want to look into renting it out and would prefer to use a property management company, but have seen many bad reviews. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Old 05-04-2011, 12:36 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,923,935 times
From everything I've seen and read, "reputable" and "property management" are oxymorons. I manage mine myself, but it's not something everyone wants to do. I wish you good luck in your search. It's going to be a hard thing to find IMO.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:37 PM

77 posts, read 206,010 times
You might check with established and reputable real estate companies. Some of them do rentals too. At least they have some sort of track record.

We are giving our Brentwood Raleigh home 6 months, then I will be asking the same question, sigh.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:07 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,923,935 times
The big questions for people who use companies like this is not whether you've had problems or not, but if you did, how were they handled, how much did you pay for repairs or damages, etc.?

That's where the true measure of a rental management company will show itself. If everything goes smoothly, we don't know as much as if something goes wrong with the tenant or property somehow.

I advise anyone trying to find a company or individual to trust with your precious asset to do a thorough amount of research and speak to various clients, both new and old, and ask specifically about how issues like that are handled when they come up. If you want someone to simply collect a rental check and take 8-10% off the top, I'm sure there are lots of choices, but what will that person or company do when the tenant doesn't pay, or the roof leaks, or the neighbors call with complaints, or the city sends a notice of violation for the lawn being too tall, etc.?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-04-2011 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: Edited out reference to deleted post

Old 05-04-2011, 03:34 PM

915 posts, read 2,383,244 times
Our neighborhood has had some pretty good luck with Apple Realty being a property manager. They seem to take care of trouble tenants when contacted. They also seem to keep an eye on their properties.

They're based in Durham, though, so I don't know if the same treatment would happen in CH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary