Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 06:57 PM

250 posts, read 1,246,251 times

Advertisements

I thought it would be nice to have a thread in which people could share pictures of their homes outdoor living spaces (e.g., patios, porches, landscape designs, etc.).

I am currently trying to develop a landscape plan for our home, which is in a new home community on a corner lot, with the entire backyard basically exposed to the street. We have a lovely screened porch which we use all the time, but no patio or deck. The lot slopes to the rear so I'm interested in slightly tiered patios.

So, if y'all don't mind sharing, I'd love seeing. If you paid for profesional installation of your spaces and were pleased with your landscapers I'd love a learning more about them and their pricing as well. Thanks, all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 07:48 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cary_nc View Post
I thought it would be nice to have a thread in which people could share pictures of their homes outdoor living spaces (e.g., patios, porches, landscape designs, etc.).

I am currently trying to develop a landscape plan for our home, which is in a new home community on a corner lot, with the entire backyard basically exposed to the street. We have a lovely screened porch which we use all the time, but no patio or deck. The lot slopes to the rear so I'm interested in slightly tiered patios.

So, if y'all don't mind sharing, I'd love seeing. If you paid for profesional installation of your spaces and were pleased with your landscapers I'd love a learning more about them and their pricing as well. Thanks, all!
I wish I had some to share. I have a small lot, but am on a corner as well. I plan on doing a lot of landscaping planting work this fall to improve the overaall appearance and create a bit of privacy. I hope some people post pictures in the meantime. Your screened in porch sounds nice. We only have a patio, but a screened porch is a "must have" for the next house. I think screened porches are one of the best things you can have on your house in this area!

Old 08-07-2007, 09:20 PM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cary_nc View Post

We're just in the process of tackling our backyard - it sounds similar to your yard: corner, exposed to street. Phase I was getting a fence up (we have a dog). The before and after pictures are below. The next phase is landscaping along the outside of the fence as well as staining the fence. Then some aeration and over seeding of the back in hopes of getting some more grass in there. We hope to start on all of that once the heat breaks. We're still getting quotes for the landscaping.

I've included a rough sketch of what we'd like to do over the next few years. We're planning more flowers than the sketch includes - the program is a bit lacking in plant materials.

Like you, I'd love to see what everyone else has done (or is planning).

Before Fence

After Fence

Medium Range Plan

Old 08-08-2007, 05:00 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,863,920 times
bta, Where do you live if you don't mind me asking. Your backyard looks nice and big. I also like your screened in porch. Your house looks a little more spacious than we are looking for, but I like the lot for sure.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:20 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,603,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
bta, Where do you live if you don't mind me asking. Your backyard looks nice and big. I also like your screened in porch. Your house looks a little more spacious than we are looking for, but I like the lot for sure.
I second that... very nice yard and house... What subdivision is this located in?

Old 08-08-2007, 06:38 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,011,415 times
We are right in the middle of doing our landscaping. ABout 75% done. Our yard sloped off the back of the house and we had a series of terraced patios done. It looks awesome! I can't wait until the finished project. sadly I have no pictures at this point and have had issues (my own I am sure) trying to load pictures on here in the past. I just can't get it to work. Otherwise I would love to share!

Old 08-08-2007, 06:59 AM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fester600 View Post
I second that... very nice yard and house... What subdivision is this located in?
Sandycat, fester600

Thanks. We live in Weycroft in NW Cary. Here's a thread I started back when we first moved in.

Finally moved into Weycroft in Cary (Pictures - bandwidth warning)

There are quite a few more houses now than are shown in that thread. They've been busy building.

It's location:

Old 08-08-2007, 07:00 AM

We have a small yard in Cary. About .1 acres. Probably the main reason why we cannot sell :-(

Anyway, here is an example of what we did because we could not grow grass in the backyard.

Before:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1186577903

After:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1186577934

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Examples of Outdoor Spaces in Triangle Homes-fence3.jpg   Examples of Outdoor Spaces in Triangle Homes-patio1.jpg  

Old 08-08-2007, 07:01 AM

hmm... I guess I don't know the trick of embedding images

Old 08-08-2007, 07:15 AM

250 posts, read 1,246,251 times
[quote=bta;1232485]We're just in the process of tackling our backyard - it sounds similar to your yard: corner, exposed to street. Phase I was getting a fence up (we have a dog). The before and after pictures are below. The next phase is landscaping along the outside of the fence as well as staining the fence. Then some aeration and over seeding of the back in hopes of getting some more grass in there. We hope to start on all of that once the heat breaks. We're still getting quotes for the landscaping.

I've included a rough sketch of what we'd like to do over the next few years. We're planning more flowers than the sketch includes - the program is a bit lacking in plant materials.

Like you, I'd love to see what everyone else has done (or is planning).
QUOTE]

bta, love the pictures! I really appreciate them. Your lot is very similar. Mine's sloped more to the rear so I'm really excited to see CAKD's photos when she is done with her project. I have a natural area in the rear of my yard (no houses behind me). My screened porch is also on the street side of the lot Unfortunately I can't find a good aerial view, but I'll try to take some pictures soon and post them here.

I've also had problems trying to load pictures, but am going to try to add the photos when I have some time this afternoon.

Thanks to all for your examples. Keep 'em coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary