Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 02:14 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post
We still need for parents to have choices, so I'm not for a strict neighborhood school plan with no other options.
Need? Want, maybe ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 08:29 PM

906 posts, read 2,382,302 times
Thanks for the kind comments!

Yes, I am unaffiliated but as UNCMetsGal said, I've said before that I'm a liberal who considers myself to be a Democrat. I just never felt the need to register as one. But to me, I don't care what party anybody is when it comes to the BOE.

CHTransplant--I will take your 'want' vs 'need' comment into consideration. :-) You make a good point.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:37 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
Good luck! You are not representing my area, so I can't vote for you one way or another. I know you and I have debated WCPSS for years now and haven't necessarily agreed on everything, but compared to some of of the other board members, I'm sure you'll provide a reasonable voice.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:55 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
You are in my district! I will be very interested to see how this all pans out (as far as candidates go), it should be a good time for a some changes.

I do have a question about the proposed plans.........is there a reason there is nothing on their regarding middle and high school? I have a daughter close to middle school, and my elementary options really did not change, but I have no way of knowing what will happen with the middle school, thus cannot vote on either plan!

Leigh

Old 05-25-2011, 11:46 AM

906 posts, read 2,382,302 times
Leigh--glad you're in my district! I'm also disappointed that they didn't release any info on the middle and high schools. I think it was a mistake but from what I understand, they were really hustling to get out the info they released. I imagine that it took a lot longer to do this than they imagined.

Lamishra--yes, we don't agree on everything but I've always felt like we probably agree on more things than we disagree on. I always enjoy discussing the issues with you. We need the school board and the community to place as much emphasis on where we agree as we do on where we disagree. I think that would help move things forward. Won't make the disagreements go away, but would build trust and further the dialogue in a positive way.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:37 PM

91 posts, read 180,959 times
Im a district 9 person, but I hope you win. From what I have seen on the N&O Blogs you are an excellent candidate that can bring a whole lot to the table. Best of luck to you in your campaign.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:48 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,568 times
Here's my issue... there are too many "choices"
What I mean by that is, there are too many choices between schools that *ostensibly* offer the same thing. How does THAT build community?
I like magnet choices (!) calendar options, schools that offer special programs, options to go to 1 or 2 nearby schools... but SIX "neighborhood schools" per family from which to choose?
Why?
How? (logistically speaking)

They need to pare down the choices among the "neighborhood schools" and bulk up the "real choices"- i.e.- magnets, schools with band, foreign languages, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary