Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 07:47 PM

57 posts, read 188,141 times

Advertisements

Doing a little of preinvestigating.

What is the cultural difference and character/demographics of Raleigh vs. Durham (Durham is more undergrad or tied in with students and college oriented and Raleigh is more working professionals)?

Also for those who have been to Raleigh, Durham and Charlotte -- what is the difference -- character and 'culture' of the people -- I head Raleigh Durham area was more college and university like and Charlotte was more families/professionals.

Any ghetto or not good sections/fringe or areas to avoid for both Raleigh and Durham would be helpful, as well as character/style of the surrounding areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 06:11 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,193,019 times
you're going to find every kind of person in each city. but the way I see it, Durham is funky and weird with a recovering reputation, Raleigh is soccer mom suburbia, and Charlotte doesn't want you if you don't live for golf and shopping. this is a broad stroke generalization--sprawl is overtaking Durham now, and there are lots of fresh and funky things in Raleigh. you will find a mix of families, professionals and students in all three places.

yes, there are areas to avoid in all cities.

you can use the search feature to learn more. there are a good many threads about what's different between raleigh and durham.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:56 PM

103 posts, read 157,555 times
dcgrl pretty much nailed it. You're going to find a lot of people saying Durham is ghetto which is just how people down here say black. You're the only one who can decide how that affects your choice. If you are young, I would strongly recommend avoiding North Raleigh.

Kudos for not even considering Cary .

Old 05-21-2011, 04:21 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,398,069 times
So newcomers would have to ask, what's wrong with Cary? Note, I have no idea.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:28 PM

915 posts, read 2,381,988 times
I see where this is going....

Depending on where you're from, I've heard Durham described as a mini-Brooklyn or Brooklyn described as a larger-Durham.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:18 AM

675 posts, read 1,832,908 times
Charlotte has the money, RDU has the brains.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:50 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,674,038 times
you're asking what the difference between a lime, a pomegranate and an apple.

search feature is your friend. You will find more threads about all the cities you asked about and have weeks worth of reading material.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:46 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
Depending on where you're from, I've heard Durham described as a mini-Brooklyn or Brooklyn described as a larger-Durham.
That's absolutely wrong, though I know back in the 90s, when Durham was earning its (now obsolete) "crime reputation", it was said that Durham had a "beeline" to Brooklyn and Bronx drug lords, thanks to 85/95.

Southeast Durham still has some very scary parts, but "Durham" as a whole is a really upcoming city, "gritty" in a good way. And the most diversity (defined almost any way you define it) in the Triangle)

Old 05-23-2011, 05:42 AM

75 posts, read 124,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
That's absolutely wrong, though I know back in the 90s, when Durham was earning its (now obsolete) "crime reputation", it was said that Durham had a "beeline" to Brooklyn and Bronx drug lords, thanks to 85/95.

Southeast Durham still has some very scary parts, but "Durham" as a whole is a really upcoming city, "gritty" in a good way. And the most diversity (defined almost any way you define it) in the Triangle)
peperoberto lives in Durham so he probably knows best.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:19 AM

487 posts, read 890,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post

You might be right economically, but isn't Cary by far the most internationally diverse place in the triangle?

chwboy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary