Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 03:56 AM

823 posts, read 3,922,255 times

Advertisements

I looked into Camelot and it's one of the less expensive priviate schools in the area. They also offer merit based scholarships starting in upper elementary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 07:53 PM

2 posts, read 7,723 times
Default Relocating with Kids-where are best schools?

If you are interested in high scoring school districts, than the WCPSS is great; however, please keep in mind that you should NOT buy a house thinking that the schools you are currently assigned to will be your school forever. Kids are constantly being reassigned. They are starting one school, making friends, and then either they get reassigned or some of their friends are getting reassigned. It is very sad actually. I know a lot of people are saying that you should expect this when the towns are developing so fast. The overcrowding issue is understandable, and I understand the trailers are needed with such a large student population. My issue is with the children forming friendships and then being reassigned every couple of years. I think children need to have some sense of stability. So thin very hard. If you want to move from California and blend well with other transplants, the the Cary area is your place. But if you are looking for dependability with the schools (in terms of reassignment), then Chapel Hill schools are for your children. Good luck.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:12 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,102,359 times
I was forwarded this article today through Wake PAGE and thought some of you here participating in this thread may enjoy reading it. it's a LOOOONG article though, not a quick read!
Failing Our Geniuses - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Old 08-19-2007, 10:10 PM

21 posts, read 57,396 times
I also read this article...very interesting with many good points of view. The good thing about the Davidson's is that they scholarship kids from lower socio-economic backgrounds into their school as well as private "gifted" schools in their areas. My family is stuck in the middle - we don't qualify for any financial aid or scholarship funding, however, we can't quite afford the private schools in our area that would best serve our kids. Not poor enough, but not rich enough. Unless we spend all our college savings on private secondary education, we are at the mercy of the public school systems.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:20 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,102,359 times
I'm with you. We're right there too, financially.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:10 AM

847 posts, read 3,522,441 times
Did anyone see that there is a new gifted & talented middle school in Durham this year? It matches up with the Pearson Elementary G&T. Admission is lottery, not based on tests, and it serves all abilities.

Anyone have experience with this kind of curriculum? Is it a good place for academically gifted kids?

We'll be looking for something come 6th grade. Durham has such a diversity of programming; I can't wait to see what's available then.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,582 times
Liliping,

I Am New In The Area And Would Like To Know The Name Of Your School. I Also Do Not Know How To Send You A Pm. Pls Send Info To Me

Old 01-08-2008, 01:40 PM

439 posts, read 1,748,372 times
Default I feel your pain

I totally understand where you're coming from.

My daughter is in her first year at a gifted school in our area. I was very happy that her 1st grade teacher recommended that we get her tested. Otherwise, she'd be bored to tears about only learning correct test taking strategies for the FCAT (the Florida version of the EOG/whatever it's called for NC). In my area, if a child tests as gifted, they're in a different school altogether. I like it that she's in a class with others that have the same needs. We just can't afford to stay in this area any longer (see family guilt thread).

Her school that she was in previously did wonders for her. She was reading EXTREMELY well at age 4 and started to write at age 3. She was learning multiplication in 1st grade (they only went to 1st grade, hence the change). Now in 2nd grade, she's done stuff on her own time in learning multiplication and division. I didn't even learn this stuff until 3rd grade myself! I'm not sure how they handle reading, but they section them out for math based on ability. She was placed in the highest class. I purposely didn't tell her this because I didn't want it going to her head. But she knows and informed me as such.

Now I'm in a panic with our upcoming changes. At least she'll be in 3rd grade, so she'll be able to do extra things. But I'm not sure I like the idea of her being pulled out of class 1-2 days per week for the enrichment. It singles her out and makes her a target for being picked on.

I was nodding my head in agreement when I saw the statement about how gifted children aren't always organized and such. That would be my daughter to a tee. Even her teacher has said she's a perfectionist. I could only think to myself, "She is her mother's child," because I'm the exact same way. When I was in school, the running joke was that my parents could figure out which desk was mine because it was usually the messiest.

We're looking at the Clayton area...therefore, Johnston County schools. Does anybody have any experience with their kids being pulled from class for enrichment? How's it working out for everyone? And what do they do with the kids when they're not in enrichment? Throwing extra busywork at them? I'm really curious about all of this. My biggest fear is that she'll become a target. She's already the youngest in her class and I don't want to add to the burden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tndshaver View Post
Thanks JAC for this thought...just what I"ve been thinking ever since our son began public school two years ago. Our biggest problem, as you can guess, is the lack of support from both the administration and the other parents at our school. Resource dollars are literally thrown at the bottom 5% of the students - those with special needs - and the top 5%, those who test very highly on cognitive tests - are basically ignored. The state of CA spent 1 billion dollars last year on special education and only a paltry $400,000 on gifted education!!

It's amazing how hostile so many people are towards bright kids - we've been told so many times how our problems with our son's education are "good problems to have." Give me a break. It's not a good problem to have when he comes home from school feeling so frustrated with the work, the boredom, the feeling that he's powerless, and unmotivated to go back. The pressure he puts on himself, at 7 years of age is tremendous and far outweighs any pressure we've ever put on him! (mostly to use manners, be a good friend, etc.) This is typical of bright kids too....(perfectionistic tendencies..)

Trust me, if I were trying to help my son get into a good gifted school purely for bragging rights, I wouldn't be considering leaving my home of 20 years to find the right education for him....I'd do something simpler here, like leave him where he is and let him simply be a part of the GATE program next year.

Yes, all kids have special gifts, but can we all agree that there are some kids who are gifted in academic ways that necessitate special accomodations just like learning disabled kids? Seven hours a day in the chair without any special program for my son is just as difficult for him as it would be for a kid who is dyslexic, with no one helping him out either.

Everyone has been extremely helpful with the recommendations for schools, links, etc....so for that, THANK YOU!

Any other parents of gifted kids out there? Nice to know we're not alone in this....

Old 01-08-2008, 02:19 PM

24 posts, read 96,022 times
slightly off topic....anyone have anything to say about St Patricks School in the Fayetteville area?

I have their website but cannot find any information on the quality of the education.

thanks

Old 01-08-2008, 07:29 PM

413 posts, read 1,255,048 times
Have you looked into private schools? I fear you will experience similar situations here. The best PUBLIC schools in the country are in Fairfax VA, but CHCCS has ranked right up there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary