Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 10:54 PM

5 posts, read 7,649 times

Advertisements

Looking into moving in the triangle area. I have been told that Cary, Apex, Hollysprings areas..... are great places to raise small children with low crime, great schools, nice, quiet neighborhoods, good jobs. Would love to hear some feedback from some of you who currently live in these areas, and help me way out my options. I am a Full time Culinary Student, will be seeking employment and training in a 5-star restaurant/hotel or catering banquet facility. I am a country girl, laid back, very polite. Looking for a nice quiet housing development that is FREE of "hood", drugs, and crime. I have children ages 12-9-6-and 1 so I will also need to be in an area near nice clean schools, with great staff, great teachers. ( elem.& middle ) Also a preschool close in the area. (preferably a YMCA program) So if you will please, please, please help me out, I will greatly appreciate it. Thank You in Advance. Blessings~

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-30-2011 at 07:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 04:19 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
There aren't any 5-star hotels/restaurants except for The Umstead in Cary and The Fearrington House in Chapel Hill: Fearrington House Country Inn earns prestigious 5-star ratings from AAA and Forbes Travel Guide | Chatham EDC

And somewhere I heard that the Umstead received a Forbes' 5-star only because the owner of the hotel (and SAS Institute, a software company) knows Mr. Forbes personally, and so the hotel/restaurant were allowed to be reviewed over and over and over again until they got it right. I stayed there, and they did a lot of things WRONG, and I would never consider it "tops" -- either in the hotel or restaurant. I don't think they offer training.

You might call the Empire Restaurant in Raleigh and ask about training opportunities in the area. I recall seeing some slickly produced, early-morning infomercial about local culinary training, but I can't recall the details, but I think the Empire Restaurant was mentioned in the infomercial.

It doesn't do much good telling you all about the areas you mentioned if you don't know where you're going to work. You can find details of all the areas by doing an Advanced Search on this board. (Yes, they are all good areas.)

Good luck!

Old 05-29-2011, 05:46 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Your housing opportunities also will depend on your budget since you will most likely need at least 3 bedrooms.

The job outlook here is not that good at all. In addition, public transportation is next to none in many areas.

You need a job or a large deposit to rent an apartment or single family home. Rents are OK here compared to some areas, but salaries in many areas of work are on the low side.

With your family to consider, please don't come here until you secure a job.

Best of luck to you and your family.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:55 AM

820 posts, read 2,787,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmae81 View Post
Looking into moving in the triangle area. I have been told that Cary, Apex, Hollysprings areas..... are great places to raise small children with low crime, great schools, nice, quiet neighborhoods, good jobs. Would love to hear some feedback from some of you who currently live in these areas, and help me way out my options. I am a Full time Culinary Student, will be seeking employment and training in a 5-star restaurant/hotel or catering banquet facility. I am a country girl, laid back, very polite. Looking for a nice quiet housing development that is FREE of "hood", drugs, and crime. I have children ages 12-9-6-and 1 so I will also need to be in an area near nice clean schools, with great staff, great teachers. ( elem.& middle ) Also a preschool close in the area. (preferably a YMCA program) So if you will please, please, please help me out, I will greatly appreciate it. Thank You in Advance. Blessings~
Are you planning to rent or purchase and what is your price range for either? Without knowing at least those criteria it is kind of hard to say. Based on what you've said so far, I'd say Apex. There are great schools in each town you mentioned, but a country gal might feel more at home in Apex; they are growing but still have a lot of rural land. The hike to Fearrington would be better from that area as well, but that is getting ahead of ourselves. I also believe your housing costs will be lower in Apex than Cary.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-30-2011 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 05-29-2011, 07:52 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Contact Wake Technical College's Culinary Program faculty (not admissions) for advice on post school in-service training and to discuss your readiness and where they think you'd be a fit.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:57 PM

2,616 posts, read 3,144,625 times
Hi, I'm from Pikeville, just down the road. Moved to Durham in 1981. Goldsboro used to be my stomping ground.

Durham Technical CC may have a culinary instructor, who would have contacts around. Washington Duke is probably the closest Durham has to a 5 star, not sure what it is rated. Very expensive though. I think Governor's Club in Chapel Hill has an elegant restaurant. There are several good steak houses around the Triangle, I don't know if they would fit your interests. Brightleaf Square has Brazilian Steakhouse, nice Italian and Greek places.

North Durham has some decent neighborhoods, but some of the schools are getting real bad; see my posts on them. A few schools are better. Madison Glen, on my street is fairly nice, starting about 160's. We walk through there & meet lots of good people with kids. Kids ride bikes & scooters all around. You would like the folks there. Ashfield Place, other end of my street is nice too, starts about 225, I think. Crime in this part of town is very low, a few somethings now and then.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:13 PM

205 posts, read 487,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmae81 View Post
You'll get lots of help on this forum, but there's no need to specify that you're "black." We don't have a separate answer sheet for those of color as opposed to caucasian or hispanic. Best of luck with your move!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-30-2011 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 05-29-2011, 06:23 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,148,805 times
Yea, I found that strange that you needed to state you were black. Who cares about race? I sure don't I answer questions fairly for everyone.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:16 AM

2,616 posts, read 3,144,625 times
I just recalled that Duke has a catering division that does a lot of in house catering for the various events there. NC State or UNC may have similar.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:58 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,955 times
Sorry to say, but she has a reasonable expectation that there might still be some areas of this country where people of color aren't welcome. I met one landlady in Raleigh who probably would not rent to a black family although she would never admit it. So I'd like to think that the OP wont have a problem, but it's possible.

The importance of identifying as a person of color has been studied. If you ask a white person to list five adjectives about themselves, they won't mention ethnicity. Almost everyone else will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary