Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 03:26 PM

70 posts, read 129,768 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the recommendation! I will look into it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbny2076 View Post
Call Dale's Honda and Acura at 919-673-6586. I use him to service our Honda's. Great to work with. I have given his info to several others and they have been nothing but satisfied...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 03:29 PM

I have heard of Tao Auto. I'll check them out! Thanks for the rec.

I'm pretty sure that the timing belt/water pump needs to be replaced because I've put about 60K miles on it since I've had it and there is no documentation of it ever being changed before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
Tao Auto on Capital Blvd has always done great, affordable work on my car. Having said that, I had my timing belt and water pump done before I moved here, also at a great, affordable place and it is expensive! Not something you can cut corners on unless you find some mechanic willing to do it at his house and charge you less labor (if that's even legal or whatever). Are you actually noticing any signs that they need to be replaced, other than just knowing it's way overdue?

Old 05-31-2011, 03:31 PM

I agree that it's wise to change it soon because I commute about 30 minutes to work M-F and I really don't want to be left stranded on the side of the road one of these days.

I wish I had the skill to change the belt/pump, but that kind of thing is way beyond me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Just have a mechanic on speed dial because there is a chance it will go. If you require your car to be reliable, it would be wiser to change it now. FWIW I changed the belt/pump/rollers out on my own car, turned a $600 service into a $220 service + 4 hours, so I reckon I "earned" $100/hr for the time spent doing it. Well worth it .

Old 05-31-2011, 03:33 PM

The first mechanic I've been to pretty much suggested the same thing. It's probably way overdue based on the miles I've put on it and the fact that I have no idea if it's ever been changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs555 View Post
...If you are not the original owner and have not had the timing belt changed since you owned it, you should assume that it needs changing. The interval is usually 70-100k miles and 6-8 years so if it has never been changed it is way past due. It will usually run with no signs of trouble until the belt breaks and then it is usually too late...

Old 05-31-2011, 03:35 PM

Haha, I would try that, but I think I've been pushing my luck with this car a little too much lately.

Seven months of crossing my fingers every time I drive the car is too stressful for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyselec View Post
Since u only need the car for 7 months , take a chance and just drive it easy

Old 05-31-2011, 03:36 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,081,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagarian View Post
I agree that it's wise to change it soon because I commute about 30 minutes to work M-F and I really don't want to be left stranded on the side of the road one of these days.

I wish I had the skill to change the belt/pump, but that kind of thing is way beyond me!

Just to be clear ... It is an interference engine. So besides being stranded you will most likely have internal engine damage - think bent valves as a start.

Frank

Old 05-31-2011, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the recommendation! Durham might be a little too far for me, but your suggestion might help another member on this board!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
Too bad you're in Raleigh. Wasp Automotive is great & Very fair prices!

Home

Old 05-31-2011, 03:40 PM

Thank you! I will look into it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC gal (aka Oregon gal) View Post
Call Wayne - he owns Oliver's Mobile Mechanic. If u don't want to drive to his shop in Selma, he'll come to you. He is extremely well priced and very knowledgeable. His number is 919-333-1312.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary