Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:19 AM

84 posts, read 142,878 times

Advertisements

Moderator note: Split off from another thread

If you work in Healthcare and/or higher education...jobs are plentiful in the area. My wife and I are relocating to the area next month. We explored the healthcare and higher ed jobs and felt assured about the job opportunities. If you are looking in higher ed, let me know, I may be able to help.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-01-2011 at 05:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 11:37 AM

18 posts, read 31,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csbjornstad View Post
If you work in Healthcare and/or higher education...jobs are plentiful in the area. My wife and I are relocating to the area next month. We explored the healthcare and higher ed jobs and felt assured about the job opportunities. If you are looking in higher ed, let me know, I may be able to help.
There are a lot of *job openings* but there are also a lot of people vying for the same jobs. Competition is fierce for everything. For example, there a lot of jobs for software engineers, developers, etc, but only the best are being hired. Why would a hiring manager take anyone less from a huge pool of applicants? People from the rest of the country read all the nice articles about the Triangle and think this is the promised land. We have +/-10% unemployment too, do we not? Obviously higher in some sectors and lower in others, but still, we're not sitting at 4% while the rest of the country wallows at 10%. Take our advice.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:41 AM

Yes, the competition is strong. I learned first hand when I moved to Las Vegas 7 years ago. I had to switch careers due to some obscure state law regulating mental health. In the end I ended up taking a position at a small art college as a part time faculty member and then worked my way up from there. What really helped is that I knew someone in the field who help me to get an interview. It really is all about who you know here in Vegas...I am assuming that is the case in other places.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:07 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Most of the people I know in higher education (here and in other states) are practical enough to find jobs before moving to a new place with only 2 months' savings stashed away.

Jesus.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:56 PM

804 posts, read 2,004,912 times
Quote:
out of curiosity, to what sort of higher ed jobs are you referring? my DH is completing his dissertation & will be graduating later this year with his PhD. he wants to teach & he's dang good at it. but professort jobs (even in his field of science) still lean for now because state schools are having to make cuts.

i agree with meh - moving here with little to no savings & the starry-eyed hope to find a job is somewhat of a death-sentence (or at the very least a sick-sentence) if one is not the superest superstar that ever supered around the place.

to the OP - i agree with the recommendation to consider short-term (month-to-month) housing until you can land a job THEN sign the lease.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopDeLoop View Post
out of curiosity, to what sort of higher ed jobs are you referring? my DH is completing his dissertation & will be graduating later this year with his PhD. he wants to teach & he's dang good at it. but professort jobs (even in his field of science) still lean for now because state schools are having to make cuts.

i agree with meh - moving here with little to no savings & the starry-eyed hope to find a job is somewhat of a death-sentence (or at the very least a sick-sentence) if one is not the superest superstar that ever supered around the place.

to the OP - i agree with the recommendation to consider short-term (month-to-month) housing until you can land a job THEN sign the lease.
I work in the proprietary sector. We have a college in Durham if he is interested. What type of science degree?

Old 06-01-2011, 02:45 PM

804 posts, read 2,004,912 times
Quote:
I work in the proprietary sector. We have a college in Durham if he is interested. What type of science degree?
i'm not even certan what you mean by proprietary sector. his degree will be a PhD in biology/zoology/ecology. i basically was stating that getting a job in higher ed is just not what it used to be. have you read the chronicle of higher ed lately? professor positions (& especially tenure positions) are not that plentiful. heck, even admin positions in higher ed institutions are shrinking fast. the UNC system has had to do layoffs in many of those areas or they are simply not filling positions as people retire because the school (like most state agencies) is b-r-o-k-e.

i was just asking because you sounded quite self-assured about such positions when i'm not seeing many of them when we are looking at opportunities here & in other areas, period. i suspect things may change some after the new budget starts; let's hope for the positive.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:46 PM

286 posts, read 685,569 times
Quote:

Define "healthcare". I am a nurse manager and I can tell you that positions for nurses, CMAs, and CNAs are not plentiful here. I came from a state that had such a nursing shortage that I could walk into any hospital and get hired within an hour. I've talked with nurses here in the triangle who have been searching for 7 months and longer with no luck. And these are experienced nurses, not new grads.

~Amy

Old 06-01-2011, 05:12 PM

The Proprietary sector would include such colleges as ITT, the Art Institutes, DeVry, University of Phoenix, etc. These colleges are less susceptible to state budgets. I along with everyone else in this economy are not assured about much. Yet, over the years I have seen a lot of growth in these colleges versus a downward trend in state schools.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:13 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
The Proprietary sector would include such colleges as ITT, the Art Institutes, DeVry, University of Phoenix, etc. These colleges are less susceptible to state budgets. I along with everyone else in this economy are not assured about much. Yet, over the years I have seen a lot of growth in these colleges versus a downward trend in state schools.
Ahhh. Well, that explains it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary