Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 08:24 PM

5 posts, read 5,597 times

Advertisements

i appreciate everyone help. sorry it take me so long to reply but it was crazy putting the kids down tonite.

ya know, i have thought about working at a pre school but i dont want to work with kids. if it come to that i could do it...just not ideal for me.

do it matter that i work with special needy children/studants? will finding a job be easier? that what i did...i assisted middle & high school studants in sped before i had my babby.

we have about 3000 per moth to spend in total. is that resonable for your area?! im still coming down with the kids in about 2 wks...we have nice cushion built up to live on until i find job. good idea, no?

sorry my poor typing skills..writing all this from my phone! :O
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 08:39 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
How many months of cushion?

Also, "sped?"

Special education, maybe?

Is there any way you could type something out from a computer instead of your phone?

I know that some phones are hard to type from, and you're asking very serious, very specific questions.

ETA: I just typed that from my phone, but about half the time I'm here, it's from my phone.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:48 PM

699 posts, read 1,706,578 times
I was surprised to see three job openings for Teaching Assistant in SpEd as I thought I'd read in the newspaper recently that teaching assistant positions were being cut.
WCPSS: Openings (http://www.wcpss.net/perl/job_listings/job_lister.pl?position=Teacher%20Assistant - broken link)

As others have noted, just because a job is posted doesn't mean that it is available. Oftentimes, someone is already slotted for that position and the posting is merely a formality to satisfy legal requirements. Would urge you to hang on to your current TA job until you secure a position somewhere else. You never know.

As to places to stay, we stayed at Extended Stay Deluxe in Cary for about $2000/month recently. Room had a decent kitchen with a dishwasher and breakfast bar, roomy living area and two queen beds. It would be comfortable, if snug, for a mother and two children.

As to where your child will go to school, that's anybody's guess at this point. Check out the WCPSS Reassignment thread for more info on this.

One thing you may want to think about is your support system. Cary is a wonderful place but one thing it won't have is family and friends.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:36 PM

meh - i hope to my have laptop back tomorrow. the battery needed replacing. also SpEd is abbreviation special education. very fortunate since i have about 12 monts of savings plus misc. money. i dont want to use all of it obviousy. the plan is if i cant find job in 6 months i move back here.

pat - thx. that extended stay place sound nice but i was hopeing to find some thing cheaper to save monkey. snug is fine for us!

i really wish i had laptop so i explain everything to you! life has not ben ideal for us for long time but i truley want best for me kids now and a fresh starter maybe what we need now.

again sorry about spelling and stuff i cant help it cuz phone.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:40 PM

Sounds like you've got a reasonable amount saved up. That's a great start!

It'll be tough to land a job with WCPSS, I'd wager. Lots of people are trying to get in.

Have you thought of the surrounding county school systems and/or private schools?

You mentioned lateral entry. What's your degree?

Old 06-09-2011, 07:16 AM

932 posts, read 3,097,981 times
It's difficult to get in WCPSS as a TA. It took my son's preschool teacher a few years to get it. WCPSS isn't stable at all. I wouldn't advice moving here in hopes of getting a job there any time soon. Have you considered Johnston County? I've heard JC is great. I have an elementary school teacher friends that's there and she loves it. You should get online and start applying now and look for some places so you kinda know what to expect. I don't think you're going to find much in Cary if you have $3000/month total to spend. Garner and Wake Forest would be great alternatives. Good luck.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:43 PM

So computer is back and I have been researching!!

I dont think lateral entry will work for me right now. I am just a few credits short of a BA. Having 2 kids, moving to a new area, and going back to school is not a good combo!!

So I been thinking about substitute teaching or working at a pre-school. Although I like working with older kids and working with little kids is not ideal, if it pays the bills, than I am happy!

Does anyone have any info about Cary Pines apartments? They look nice and are in my price-range. I'll look at Wake Forest but i really like Cary and I feel it will be the best place for my family.

Also, realistically, how much winter stuff should I bring to NC?

Old 06-09-2011, 03:55 PM

What's your price range?

You might be in the range for something a bit nicer than Cary Pines.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:02 PM

82 posts, read 147,901 times
I don't mean to rain on your parade. Last time I checked Wake county was not accepting new subs either. They have too many already.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:23 AM

86 posts, read 207,263 times
Default Salary

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Aren't those jobs close to retail type salaries?
I guess maybe it is the norm, but it depends on where you work. I actually get paid very well where I work at a small, private preschool. It was just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary