Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 08:50 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,258 times

Advertisements

I can't believe this. Last spring I was offered a job in the Triangle but ultimately the offer fell apart because the company didn't want to provide relo funds. This was the first time I'd ever encountered this and I held fast in my belief that we couldn't afford to make a $10-15K investment in the job (via the moving expenses).

Then the other job for which I was interviewing, in Durham fell through (that would have provided full relo). Actually, I got an offer but for an office in another city and since "warmer and cheaper than MA" is our goal and this didn't fit either criteria, I turned it down.

Well the first company has an opening at my level again (I'm pretty sure it's not the same job though). I stumbled across it on the job boards. This company has gone through a buyout since I'd talked with them earlier this year and now have deeper pockets. We also are more willing to figure out how to pony up for the move, if we must.

Does it make sense to contact them again? I sort of feel as though I might have burned a bridge. I'm thinking they might have thought about calling me but then again, in the hustle-bustle business world, I'm sure I'm not top-of-mind and even if I were, their last impression of me is that I wouldn't move unless they paid for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 09:02 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,602,195 times
Hey,

Personally I do not see how it could hurt you.

Worst Case: You contact them and they blow you off... Just a blow to the ego.

Best Case: They remember you, the interview process goes fast because they were willing to hire you a year ago, and you are down in NC before the end of the year.

The boards will be rooting for you
Matt

Old 09-21-2007, 09:08 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
I agree with Fester. Go for it! You've got nothing to lose.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:11 AM

Thanks you guys. Awww..these boards are the greatest. And my husband thinks I'm nuts for posting here.

I have an acquaintance who works there. I will try to contact her first. Perhaps I'll submit my resume at the same time. I just didn't want my resume to wind up on the President's desk without forewarning. I can just imagine him thinking "oh no, HER again?"

LOL

Old 09-21-2007, 09:31 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,602,195 times
What company, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 09-21-2007, 10:00 AM

306 posts, read 1,192,562 times
That was one year ago and most companies don't hold on to resumes that long. He may remember you and he may not. If he does remember you, just go in to how disappointed you were that the deal feel through and how the only sticking point was the relo. With deeper pockets now that may not be a sticking issue anymore. Yes, I think go for it, what do you have to lose - nothing and what do you have to gain - possibly everything!

Good luck, let everyone know how it goes.

Char

Old 09-21-2007, 10:46 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,861,667 times
The squeaky wheel gets the grease. I always believed that. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by contacting them again. I think you need to be aggressive these days. We have had a year, yes a year, of unemployment so we understand the woes of applying from out of state. You need to be ready and willing to make the move on your own. I think that companies are less likely to pay for relo costs these days, especially when the competition is high. Just my two cents, based on our recent experience.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:46 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
You might approach it from a point of finances.

Last time, you couldn't afford to move w/o help. You're now in a position to do it and the moving expenses tax deduction will eat quite a bit of the burden.

If they liked you before and the issue's solved, why not hire you.

Nothing to lose.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:41 AM

I spoke to my husband over lunch hour and he thinks I should wait to hear back from my friend (who works there). It's Friday so perhaps I could do that but if I don't hear from her over the weekend, I'm going to send in my resume with a cover letter that reintroduces myself! He tends to be not aggressive at all re: job hunting (which is why he has yet to send one resume down there and I've had 2 offers and a few other possible opportunities.

He's still "tinkering" with his resume. I told him that if he doesn't take the shot, he can't score a goal.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:13 AM

Ugh. Still haven't heard back from my friend (I've tried via email, not by phone. I suppose it's possible I have her email wrong since the company merged with the larger one). I'm steeling my courage this AM to call the president and director of accounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary