Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 05:02 AM

205 posts, read 488,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Otherwise, buy him tickets to a double-feature at the movies? Especially things you wouldn't go to with him.
..... eh..... not so sure it's a great idea to leave middle school aged children unsupervised at the movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 06:15 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,679,720 times
why cant he stay home for a few hours alone? my 12 year old stays home and babysits our 5 year old with some regularity.

i wouldnt do it overnight - but for dinner and an early movie - sure, no problem.

otherwise let him go spend the night with a friend...

Old 07-07-2011, 09:18 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,996,962 times
Reminds of a friend of mine, at 13 years old his parents wouldn't leave him home alone so they brought in a 16 year old babysitter...

Well, you'll never guess what happened.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:10 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,656,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazers View Post
Try Night Life Cafe. It is for middle and high school students. It is every other Friday night from 7p-11p.

There is a $5 cover charge (some weeks are free) but that includes all the video games, billiards, foosball, indoor basketball, indoor lazer tag.

There is also a snack bar.

It is chaperoned.

Night Life Cafe - Teen Club Hangout in Raleigh NC
We're going to give this a try. I had absolutely no idea something like this was even around.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:29 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,691,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfishGumbo View Post
..... eh..... not so sure it's a great idea to leave middle school aged children unsupervised at the movies.
??? I let my 12 year old go to the movies with her friends and no adult chaperone. Very specific pick up time, very close to home, just a text away.

Sorry, I was not going to sit through 3 Twilight movies.

For that particular kid, it seemed right.

I think the consensus here is that every parent has to know what is right for their own child. Both my kids are pretty sensible and manage just fine at home, but they are both terribly afraid of the dark and will tell me when they are not comfortable home alone.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:40 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,266,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazers View Post
Try Night Life Cafe. It is for middle and high school students. It is every other Friday night from 7p-11p.

There is a $5 cover charge (some weeks are free) but that includes all the video games, billiards, foosball, indoor basketball, indoor lazer tag.

There is also a snack bar.

It is chaperoned.

Night Life Cafe - Teen Club Hangout in Raleigh NC
Sounds like fun! What a great suggestion! City data meet up time?!!

Vicki

Old 07-07-2011, 11:44 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,106,471 times
Night Life Cafe sounds like a great option.

Kids' maturity levels can vary greatly around ages 12, 13.

When I was 13, I was responsible enough to babysit my aunt and uncle's kids (5 of them), and they'd go out with another couple who would bring THEIR 5 kids over for me to babysit as well. It was quite a deal for them for a total of 50 cents per hour.

Yet when I was barely 16, I regularly babysat for a 12-year-old (female) because her parents didn't want to leave her alone, and they paid me well. But she was a bigger pain than the 10 kids. Very smart but quite immature.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:07 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,123,693 times
Looks interesting! I know this is a church run thing, but are non-Christian teens welcome and will they feel comfortable there?

Old 07-07-2011, 12:26 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,106,471 times
On the website, it specifically says the place is for fun, not preaching. Would be sad if they didn't tell the truth on their website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Looks interesting! I know this is a church run thing, but are non-Christian teens welcome and will they feel comfortable there?

Old 07-07-2011, 12:28 PM

330 posts, read 985,667 times
The only "church" part of the event is that there are "Christian" rules to the event (no fighting, no excessive PDA, no swearing, etc). Any middle or high school student is welcome. And despite what some have insinuated, there is no ulterior motive than providing a safe, fun environment for teens to go to.

90% of the teens attending have no association with the church that helps organize this. ALL teens are welcome and should feel comfortable.

Last edited by bazers; 07-07-2011 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: left out an important word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary