Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 07:07 AM

3 posts, read 4,259 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at at job in Dunn, and am considering moving back to Chapel Hill because I have friends, family, and professional connections there. It appears to be 1:15 minutes from Chapel Hill to Dunn. I know that is a bit of a haul, but is is insane to manage for at least a year or so? I'm thinking about cost, quality of life, and the fact that I DO NOT want to live in Fayetteville or parts nearby if I can avoid it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 07:25 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
Wow, never heard of anyone doing that commute! Which roads will you go on? Sounds like a bear to me...what about the cost of gas/ If goes up can you still handle it?

Old 07-15-2011, 07:46 AM

873 posts, read 1,017,154 times
I would strongly urge against you doing this, unless you really love Chapel Hill and can handle commutes. That estimated 1:15 time assumes no traffic problems on I-40 (and a little bit of I-95), and it's a busy drive most of the way thanks to increased populations in Orange, Durham, Wake and Johnston counties. I myself live just a mile from I-40 in Chapel and commute to Cary, and that takes me 25 minutes in the best circumstances. I can't imagine doing three times that amount each direction every day with gas costs, need to stop for items to and/or from work, etc. There's really no good way to live in the classic Triangle (Ral-Dur-CH) and commute to Dunn without going crazy, in my opinion. Only exception I can see is get a place to stay at or near Dunn for the weekdays and come back home for the weekends, and that wouldn't be satisfactory to me personally.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:50 AM

843 posts, read 2,100,794 times
Thats a long commute. Just over an hour each way with NO traffic. More like 1 1/2 on most days rush hour. If there is an accident(all the time!!) it can be easily over 2 hrs...
Looking at a map, Fuquay is about 1/2 way inbetween Dunn and Chapel Hill. Plenty of pretty backroads and fairly good highway options to get to Dunn and Chapel Hill. Once 540 is done, it will be a much better commute to friends and work...

And Fuquay still has a Triangle feel to it....

Old 07-15-2011, 07:58 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,816,202 times
In a word, no.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:01 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,324 times
Painful, painful, painful. Like the poster above, I'd suggest Fuquay, Holly Springs or Apex, to give you a much shorter commute to Dunn and still be let you get to Chapel Hill easy on the back roads when you want to hang out.

Another place to check out might be Lillington. I've only been there a couple times, so can't comment on what it is like, but it's got a 9000 student university there (Campbell), so it might have some upside.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:50 AM

3 posts, read 4,259 times
@Ozmoe-Well I absolutely ADORE Chapel hill, so I might be willing to deal with the commute until you get all that stuff done with the highways. 40 indeed can be a nightmare from my past experience, or smooth all depending on when you leave.

To everyone else-What is Fuquay like? I've been through Apex and it doesn't seem to have much going for it and high rent prices. Part of why I would like to consider chapel hill is that I have friend in Carrboro who also work for nonprofits and the rent is pretty affordable considering they make under 40k a year. This position pays 36k. A 30 minute commute is not bad at all, but it doesn't seem to have much life to it.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:29 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,290,539 times
Commuting between Chapel Hill and Dunn is a very bad idea. Figure about 50 cents per mile (considering all the costs), two or three hours of time wasted each work day, seriously unsafe conditions once in a while (we do have ice and snow on occasion), and the grotesque environmental impact. If you're going to work in Dunn, then live in Dunn (people have been known to endure worse fates -- you might even learn something in the process).

Old 07-15-2011, 07:22 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,181,381 times
BAD idea. I commute from Raleigh to Dunn, and it's not that bad of a drive (about 45 minutes). A lot of folks I've met in Dunn commute to Raleigh. If you live on the other side of Raleigh from where I live, it's about 30 minutes. But I think what you're talking about pushes the level of reasonable tolerance. I'd rather have my foot cut off with a dull plastic spoon than commute from CH to Dunn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
Another place to check out might be Lillington. I've only been there a couple times, so can't comment on what it is like, but it's got a 9000 student university there (Campbell), so it might have some upside.
Ummmmmm, yeah...about that...that isn't exactly what someone who likes CH will want...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary