Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 04:42 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,181,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Archticturally, many of these don't seem that important to me. I note the article often points to memories of activities at these sites as justification for preservation, rather than attributes of the buildings themselves.
Were we reading the same article???
These buildings are of their time and represent some of the best architecture of the era in city. It's a crying shame to lose any of them. I am particularly saddened by the recent loss of the folded slab roof of NC State's bookstore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 06:12 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,182,495 times
I am absolutely DISTRAUGHT that I missed the Water Garden on 70. I passed that sign a million and one times, kind of wondered what it was, and thought vaguely of stopping once or twice. I would have absolutely ADORED it, and now I've missed my chance!

Old 07-22-2011, 06:52 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,874,824 times
I am very saddened to hear this...not just the news of some of Raleigh's recent (architectural) history being destroyed for "Bigger and Better Stuff", but also posters reactions to it. I am sorry Raleigh's history and what makes/made it Raleigh, means nothing to so many. The mighty buck rules!

Old 07-22-2011, 09:40 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
I'm disgusted.

Only people who give a damn about the historical significance of these buildings would care, of course. But, this is my home town.

Let me move to some transplant's beloved home town and start voting to modernize the place.

Damn.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:27 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,936,123 times
That's very disappointing to see these building will be demolished. Every time they tear down one of Raleigh's old familiar landmarks it's like chipping away a little chunk out of me.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:24 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,948,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Only people who give a damn about the historical significance of these buildings would care, of course.
Care that they are going, perhaps, but do these people care that these buildings are "here"? Seems not, or they wouldn't have fallen into dis-use and disrepair. It does not seem that the populace has supported having these buildings.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:54 AM

523 posts, read 1,327,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Care that they are going, perhaps, but do these people care that these buildings are "here"? Seems not, or they wouldn't have fallen into dis-use and disrepair. It does not seem that the populace has supported having these buildings.
Not always true. We have many property owners here in Durham who have become absolutely notorious for letting historic homes and other buildings fall into a state of disrepair through sheer neglect, even when there have been purchase offers made by people who wanted to rehab and repurpose them. The decisions (or lack of them) made by those owners is not at all representative of the will of the populace.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:37 AM

725 posts, read 1,501,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lb27608 View Post
The decisions (or lack of them) made by those owners is not at all representative of the will of the populace.
The will of the populace trumps the owners rights? It is their house or building.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:05 AM

519 posts, read 982,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I'm disgusted.

Only people who give a damn about the historical significance of these buildings would care, of course. But, this is my home town.

Let me move to some transplant's beloved home town and start voting to modernize the place.

Damn.
I am begging you, please go to my hometown of 400 people and start modernizing it. While you are at it, teach them about hi-speed Internet access.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:12 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,505,374 times
Even the article linked in the OP's post states that several of the buildings aren't "historically significant" but they have a history about them.

"It’s unlikely anyone could make the argument that the Brewery or the buildings around it are architecturally significant enough to warrant preserving. However, character and importance sometimes aren’t defined in the appearance of a building, but in the life and character that resides inside."

So the person writing the article is showing their bias because of memories they may have in those buildings. Sometimes memories trump making a good decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary