Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 08:17 AM

519 posts, read 982,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
Even the article linked in the OP's post states that several of the buildings aren't "historically significant" but they have a history about them.

"It’s unlikely anyone could make the argument that the Brewery or the buildings around it are architecturally significant enough to warrant preserving. However, character and importance sometimes aren’t defined in the appearance of a building, but in the life and character that resides inside."

So the person writing the article is showing their bias because of memories they may have in those buildings. Sometimes memories trump making a good decision.
There is also a difference between being "historically significant" and a registered historical building or area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 07:30 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
Fair enough but there is nothing wrong with replacing something old with something new. Who knows...maybe the new building(s) that go up will be more historically significant to future generations that what is currently there.
So, we just tear perfectly good buildings with a rich history down, and throw up new buildings? Really?

That's a horrible idea. Sucks the character right outta the city.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Were we reading the same article???
These buildings are of their time and represent some of the best architecture of the era in city. It's a crying shame to lose any of them. I am particularly saddened by the recent loss of the folded slab roof of NC State's bookstore.
Agree re: the roof at the Book Store. Tragic.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
I am very saddened to hear this...not just the news of some of Raleigh's recent (architectural) history being destroyed for "Bigger and Better Stuff", but also posters reactions to it. I am sorry Raleigh's history and what makes/made it Raleigh, means nothing to so many. The mighty buck rules!

I agree. Completely.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:56 AM

881 posts, read 2,254,643 times
Regarding NC State's Book store: it would have been great if they could have included the roof in the new student center design somehow but the bookstore it self did need to come down. It wasn't meeting NC State's current needs and had numerous issues. This link cover Talley as well so I'll only post a small portion of what is said.

Campus Enterprises :: So, What’s Wrong with the Old Talley?

Quote:
The NC State Bookstore building is suffering similar issues in terms of space, systems, and facility degradation. It has settled significantly, and it would cost millions of dollars to repair it and bring it up to modern code. Even then, it would not be adequate for the bookstore operations, which would have to go somewhere else in order to serve the current and future student population.

The outward bookstore operation belies the troubles they face on a daily basis to serve students, especially during book sales at the beginning of each semester. Space constraints dictate they operate out of five tractor trailer trucks parked in the tight loading area behind the building to meet the demand.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:59 AM

64 posts, read 177,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Care that they are going, perhaps, but do these people care that these buildings are "here"? Seems not, or they wouldn't have fallen into dis-use and disrepair. It does not seem that the populace has supported having these buildings.
Not all of these buildings have "fallen into dis-use and disrepair". 401 Oberlin and the Ballentine Cafeteria building seem to be in pretty good shape and are only being torn down because a developer thinks they can make money by building a large apartment complex there. I can't blame them. But Raleigh is very rapidly losing a lot of its mid-century modernist buildings (Garland Jones building, anyone?) and its a shame.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:36 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,729,526 times
I hate seeing Staudt Bakery being on the list. It's a great place for photo opps. *sigh*

Old 07-24-2011, 10:53 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,719,385 times
Destruction of these modernist buildings -- most of which have four or fewer floors -- is a direct consequence of the "build up, not out" philosophy of sprawl opponents, including the Mayor himself. Higher density ITB means that more of these buildings from the days when Raleigh had less than 100,000 residents will be razed. The land underneath the buildings becomes more valuable than the buildings themselves. Updating some of these buildings has become a financial nightmare due to extensive changes in building codes over the years. Even updating a 30-year old building can be difficult to justify financially.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:57 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,505,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
So, we just tear perfectly good buildings with a rich history down, and throw up new buildings? Really?

That's a horrible idea. Sucks the character right outta the city.
"If you’ve driven down Hillsborough Street towards downtown, then you’ve gone past the old Staudt Bakery at the Hillsborough/Morgan Street split. This nondescript art moderne-styled building from the 1940s has sat vacant for around 50 years."

So what "rich history" does a building that has been vacant for 50 years have? And speaking of more "rich history" of some of these buildings, the Fabius Briggs house:

"The 1970s proved to be a rough time for the house and its appendage. The Brite Spot restaurant became an aptly named strip club bearing the same name. The house, virtually abandoned at this time, naturally became a place for patrons of the strip club to get “privacy”. The house had become a den of iniquity, and would remain so for some years to come. When the city cracked down on strip clubs in the late 1970s The Brite Spot closed"

Yep. sounds like some real great history there

I have no problems preserving these relics however if it's so important to the very fabric that makes up Raleigh why has none of it's residents stepped up to save these places?

Old 07-24-2011, 05:24 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,182,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Destruction of these modernist buildings -- most of which have four or fewer floors -- is a direct consequence of the "build up, not out" philosophy of sprawl opponents, including the Mayor himself. Higher density ITB means that more of these buildings from the days when Raleigh had less than 100,000 residents will be razed. The land underneath the buildings becomes more valuable than the buildings themselves. Updating some of these buildings has become a financial nightmare due to extensive changes in building codes over the years. Even updating a 30-year old building can be difficult to justify financially.
As a big fan of midcentury modern, the destruction of these buildings is heartbreaking. I actually drove past 401 Oberlin/Ballentine buildings today, and it makes me sad to think they will be leaving. Part of the charm of Cameron Village will be gone, and it will basically be a North Hills Pt. II, with no trace of its' former self.. Having said that, Wizard has a valid point. As far as I can tell, it's either go this route, or have sprawl. If the area is going towards the whole mixed use route, which is a good thing on many fronts, then you HAVE to build "up". At some point, old stuff has to go to make room for new stuff. There are gleaming, brand-spanking new office buildings that are sitting empty nowadays, so I see how folks aren't knocking each other over to rent space in a building built in the '50s. Also, I am not beginning to understand that renovating is not always cheaper than starting from scratch.

Also, I think it is equally as sad that the history of the freed slaves that once owned the land in the area that is now Cameron Village has been lost and forgotten. I remember reading that the freed slave who owned most of the land attended Oberlin (one of few colleges that educated blacks at that time), hence the name "Oberlin Road". He named it after his alma mater. So this isn't a "new" thing. I guess it's just life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary