Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 11:33 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,240,257 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating to Clayton. I am originally from Cary and am used to having the convenience of nice grocery stores like Harris Teeter, whole foods, trader joes and other amenities such as wonderful lifetime fitness and movies within minutes to home.

The reason we are considering Clayton is NOT DUE TO it being more affordable than Cary. It is because of its location of being closer to my husbands work. He works from home but will have to travel to Eastern NC a few days/week.

Is Clayton too remote? I heard a new walmart is to be built over by flowers. Does anyone know if there will be future developments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 11:44 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Clayton is a lovely place, but whether or not you feel Clayton is too remote really comes down to personal preference.

Personally I do find it too remote for my tastes. I like easy access to multiple restaurants, coffee shops, book stores, and grocery stores like (Whole Foods & Trader Joe's) and I don't want to drive 20-30 minutes to get to those things.

However, if it is closer to your husbands work that improvement on quality of life may balance things out.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:49 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,028,711 times
I know tons of people love it, but I find it remote and a little too chain-y for my liking.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:53 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Clayton is the proverbial small town with big city quirks. We loved living in Clayton. We only moved when I changed jobs and it became a 100 mile round trip commute 5 days a week. We were near Flowers Plantation and found it easy to get into Clayton or Smithfield for most everything we needed. The downtown square has many activities. We love the farmer's market there...

Old 08-01-2011, 05:44 AM

289 posts, read 489,657 times
Clayton is great-- we love it here. It in no way resembles Cary, so don't be disappointed. To be happy here, I think you may need to look for its other attributes, which may not be the same as the attributes as Cary. Lowes Foods is very good, but not Whole Foods, and not Trader Joes. Movies will be about a 20 minute drive. There are some great local restaurants here. It is a much different atmosphere and environment than Cary, but many of us love it. Before moving, you should make sure this area will work for you.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:57 AM

420 posts, read 1,397,841 times
We moved to Clayton from Colorado Springs, where evertyhing we ever wanted was less than 5 minutes from our house. We did feel "remoteness" for a bit after moving. It was a shock to what we were used to.

However, now after four years we are thrilled with the area. The schools are fantastic and we love the small town feel, with conveniences right around the corner. Our neighborhood is family centerred, everyone on several acres. Our kids have had the pleasure of a childhood where they can ride bikes and hang out with friends until the sun goes down. We didn't think that existed anymore!

Having to drive a bit to get to things is a choice we happily make to call Clayton home! I hope you come to visit and enjoy it here as well!

Old 08-01-2011, 01:11 PM

207 posts, read 433,450 times
Clayton is nothing like Cary and I hope at least in my lifetime that it never is. I live in a Flowers neighborhood and have heard nothing about a Walmart until now. There isn't even any fast food there so I certainly hope Walmart is not coming over.

Last edited by pkc789; 08-01-2011 at 02:16 PM..

Old 08-01-2011, 06:23 PM

205 posts, read 487,774 times
If nice grocery stores like Harris Teeter are a priority for you, then Clayton isn't for you. The "remoteness" isn't even the issue. Clayton is farm country. I like small towns, but Clayton isn't appealing in that way to me. It's just a bit too "country."

There are some lovely neighborhoods in the area, but the town itself .... not the draw. The draw? Affordable housing.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:22 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,240,257 times
Does anyone know which retail stores/restaurants are going to be built adjacent to the Johnston Medical Center off 42/70 bypass? It looks like a HUGE commercial development on 50 acres with 500,000 sq ft of space.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-05-2011 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: Links to real estate sites are NOT allowed.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:27 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,564,646 times
in this economy, would not expect anything to be built anytime soon. The difference between Cary and Clayton is that one (Cary) is a huge close-in suburb with much, much development - - tons of shopping centers, restaurants, etc., whereas Clayton is a rural town that just recently, over the past 10 years, has just begun to develop. Clayton is fast food heaven, but not much more, same with grocery stores - it's Food Lion, Lowes and Walmart. But that said, it's nice that Clayton is still it's own town and not part of the Raleigh sprawl like Cary now is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary