Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 02:36 PM

28 posts, read 87,830 times

Advertisements

Hello Parents,

We are making an appeal to revisit the decision on our request to change our kids into a magnet school. Looking for any one to share their experiences.

Thanks a million - (in advance)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 02:50 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc1relocating View Post
Hello Parents,

We are making an appeal to revisit the decision on our request to change our kids into a magnet school. Looking for any one to share their experiences.

Thanks a million - (in advance)
Lots of luck....I've never seen one of these 'appeals' work. I know there were lots of disappointed parents in Wake Forest the year my daughter was in 5th grade.....many applied to Ligon and I think 7 kids got in (at least the ones I know about). Several parents appealed and none of them got in....including one my daughter's best friends. It was very tense to be around that mother for a few months. (The kids didn't care or they worked it out themselves...but the parent's certainly did.)

Sorry. I know it's hard to want to get into a certain program and not be able to.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:39 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,202 times
Tried to get our son in Ligon for 8th grade:

Applied- Denied
Appealed- Denied

heard there were only 5 spots anyway

Went to the hearing- the board members said they were surprised to hear that our base middle school had No foreign language or academic electives other that in math (unlike Cary, Apex & N Raleigh schools that do!) & said they would see what they could do for my son, which turned out to be....
yep, they
Denied him!

So, many people are in a twist over scheduling- my issue is curriculum for those of us who are not lucky enough to be among the few chosen for magnet, & who live in areas with less powerful parents than those in Cary, Apex & N Raleigh who somehow have gobbled up a huge chunk of the resources.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:42 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
My son went to East Millbrook Middle and Millbrook High.

Although these were not at the top of the pecking order, he got a great education. East Millbrook wasn't a magnet when my son attended it.

Give your base school a chance. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:50 AM

39 posts, read 170,131 times
It was 10 years ago, but when my brother got denied entry into the magnet program, my mom appealed and then called every day, sometimes twice a day. She repeatedly pleaded her case and my brother ended up getting into Carnage and went to high school at Southeast Raleigh. It was time consuming and they denied the application numerous times, but persistence paid off and he got in. I don't know if that would work now, but if you decide to go that route, Good Luck!

Old 08-13-2007, 12:09 PM

28 posts, read 87,830 times
Thanks for the support!!!

We would like to give a chance to the base school.There are no programs that my kid used to have before we moved into NC.

We found couple of links on n&o site as well. Any further information is welcome.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:41 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Have you looked into charter schools?

Old 08-13-2007, 02:25 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
My experience is....probably not gonna happen. I've been there, done that for several years now for TWO kids and have never had a transfer request to a magnet school approved even with appeals.

Definitley check out the Charter schools. Today was my daughter's first day of school at Exploris Charter Middle and I cannot tell you how pleased and excited we are about it! It's a totally different world! I'd take this over magnet school anyday and I'm seriously glad we waited and did the charter school option instead.

ALso, we just LEFT a Cary middle school with no academic electives and no foreign languages, so it's not a regional thing and there are VERY few magnets in Cary.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:44 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Have you looked into charter schools?
The charter schools have lottery systems to....you just can't walk up and get into one either.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:42 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
There is a lottery with charter schools, but there is also a waiting list which Wake schools don't have. (WIth Wake, it's just 'NO"). So you still have a chance to get in at some point as long as you are willing to change schools. We got into EMS after a year on the waiting list. We started at number 36 on the list after the lottery last year, so it's still worth a shot for anyone looking for next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary