Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2007, 07:04 AM

36 posts, read 147,663 times

Advertisements

Have they decided where to build Cary Aquatics Center? In north part or west part? I can't find the exact address on town of cary page. Anyone has followed the news on this? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 07:08 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
They have already broken ground and are currently building the Triangle Aquatic Center in Cary behind the mall if that's what you are talking about.

Triangle Aquatic Center (TAC): Public aquatic facilities in Wake County

Old 08-15-2007, 07:43 AM

36 posts, read 147,663 times
Maybe that's what I have seen in the news in the early summer. However, I read somewhere that Town of Cary is going to build its own aquatic center either in Cary Park area or N. Harrison area. Not sure if they are the same thing.
Town of Cary: Cary Aquatics Center (http://www.townofcary.org/depts/prdept/facilities/caryaquaticscenter.htm - broken link)

Old 08-15-2007, 07:49 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,908 times
The Town of Cary is planning a separate aquatic center from the Triangle Aquatic Center; there is a bunch of political background there that I'm not totally up on. However I don't believe the Town of Cary has made any final decisions yet. I'm hoping for the North Cary location since I live near there. I sometimes lurk around the Cary Politics board because they seem to have the most current info on this, and this is the last thing I saw there: Cary Politics Forums-viewtopic-Cary Changes Swim Center Concept (broken link)

Old 08-15-2007, 10:35 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Yes, I find it confusing too. From what I understood, originally the Town of Cary backed the TAC and it was going to be a mixed use pool, open for the public, but it was also required that a private group raise 5 million in funds to contribute to the facility and this group supports the various competitive swim teams in the area.
THEN, for some reason (and I can't remember why) the Town of Cary decided NOT to be a part of biulding the TAC and had been eyeing approx 30 acres of land in North Cary to build a public facility.
FOr me, the confusion comes in that if you look at the TAC website I posted, it specifically mentions that the facility will be open to be public. Perhaps it's going to be a private facility only but the public can pay to participate in prorams there.
I too looked on the Town of Cary website and didn't see any press releases regarding the Town of Cary's decision not to go ahead with the TAC, but I did see an RFP for architects for a pool for Cary from 2006 for an "unspecified" location.
I also remember this summer the Town of Cary putting out a press release about pulling out of the TAC deal. I just cannot remember the exact reason, but I do know the whole thing got very, very political there for a while. I'll keep digging for info because we're interested in it ourselves. Cary desperately needs a public pool.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:01 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,908 times
OK, just went searching on the N&O. It looks like the TAC has always been a private enterprise (though according to their web site they are a 501c3 organization, so not-for-profit) and at one time they asked the Town of Cary to buy in, but Cary ultimately decided not to do so.

This article explained it to me best:
Cary News | Cary takes $10 million step toward aquatic center (broken link)

Background politics: newsobserver.com | Cary's pool fight is serious, not sport (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/wake/cary/story/536756.html - broken link)

Recent news:
Cary News | Town changes scope for proposed aquatics center (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary