Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 09:20 AM

6 posts, read 6,025 times

Advertisements

Our family are thinking about relocating to the Triangle Area from DC (can't afford the area anymore). I am coming down there to visit for a few days and bringing my 7 yr old daughter with me. We have not told the kids yet, so really I am just coming down to get a general feel for the area and have a nice weekend away with my eldest and a break from the younger three. Any ideas for nice places to eat, places to visit, parks to check out, nice playgrounds. Anything really that could be fun for us both, while also giving me an opportunity to "get to know" the area a little. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 09:38 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
Museum of Natural History is fun for kids and free.

You can check out reviews of parks and playgrounds in the area here: Park and playground reviews :: WRAL.com

Pick one that's close to where you're scouting.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:43 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,381 times
the museum of life and science in durham should be on your list of places to visit.
We always take visitors to Tyler's Taproom in Durham because of the setting. It's in a district called American Tobacco, which is renovated warehouses that used to house the Lucky Strike cigarette factory. there's a "river" there, and an island on which the Lucky Strike water tower still stands. The food at tyler's could be better, but we put up with it for the setting.

If you like to shop, the best mall in the Triangle is Southpoint, in Durham.

One of the nicest playgrounds is in Cary, the Kids Together park. I also like the Chapel Hill Community park.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Triangle is a fairly large area, made up of 4 major cities/towns (Raleigh, Durham, Cary and Chapel Hill). a weekend is a good start, but you'll probably want to focus on either Eastern Triangle (Raleigh and Cary) or the Western Triangle (Chapel Hill and Durham).

If you can tell us what you're looking for in a community, and what your budget is, and where you may possibly be working, we can help you narrow it down.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:01 AM

Thanks for your time and the responses. We are only in the very early stages of this, so this is just a first trip to get a feel for the area.

Our budget will be about 400K, a little higher if we need to. We have four young children, so schools will be our #1 priority. We are not used to a big house up here, but it would be nice to have four bedrooms and more room than we have in our teeny tiny, ridiculously expensive place here in the DC suburbs!! I would also like a community with a pool, outdoor space etc. A real neighbourhood feel - a cul de sac I hope. I grew up in Ireland and I know that nowhere will be quite as "free" as that but I am used to knowing all my neighbours and having lots of kids to run around with during the holidays etc. We are going to rent for 6mths to a year until we figure out the area. My dh is currently searching the job market (he is in IT), so commute can not be factored in yet. But his commute would probably be sacrificed in the name of good schools/nice area! We are used to horrendous commutes up here. Cary looks nice, Chapel Hill too. We do like to have freedom from using our car all the time, so I am not sure if Cary woud ultimiately fit the bill.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:05 AM

For 400k you can get just about whatever you want.

And I wouldn't completely write off Cary as far as walkability goes. For example I live in Kildaire Farms which has lots of walking trails, park areas, playgrounds, a tennis and swimming club, shopping, restaurants, and schools an easy walk from our house. Granted many communities in Cary don't have those benefits but if you shop around you can find them

Old 09-01-2011, 10:11 AM

Thanks! Perhaps "Kildaire" farms is where an Irish person should end up!

Old 09-01-2011, 10:23 AM

You'd be walking distance from an Irish pub too haha.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:44 AM

398 posts, read 1,292,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
You'd be walking distance from an Irish pub too haha.
Oh yes, the Hibernian!

Old 09-03-2011, 04:43 AM

498 posts, read 854,357 times
You might want to look at Carpenter Village in Cary. We have a lake, pool, outdoor gathering areas, and are very near the library and elementary school.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:24 AM

842 posts, read 2,588,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
For 400k you can get just about whatever you want.

And I wouldn't completely write off Cary as far as walkability goes. For example I live in Kildaire Farms which has lots of walking trails, park areas, playgrounds, a tennis and swimming club, shopping, restaurants, and schools an easy walk from our house. Granted many communities in Cary don't have those benefits but if you shop around you can find them

Hmmm ... not necessarily true about the 400K getting you whatever you want, especially in Chapel Hill or Cary. Based on what the size house that the OP wants, he/she will need some more money for Chapel Hill unless it is a fixer upper. Cary can be expensive too. I am not saying that there is not a chance that you will ever get one for that price (maybe in a foreclosure, or short sale) but for the size/sq. footage that they are looking for it is going to be highly unlikely right now.

My 2 cents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary