Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 07:09 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,878,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post

Somehow I'm not surprised...

But I bet there are plenty of things your friends like that you don't, and vice versa. Making moving decisions on what THEY say won't be in YOUR best interest. Durham of all the places in the area suffers from negative stereotypes based on how it USED to be. I don't even live there but I get tired of hearing the "warnings". My roots are forever in Raleigh, but if I didn't already live here and were able to pick a place in the area and live wherever I wanted, I think some of the older Durham neighborhoods would be lovely.
Couldn't have said it better! I am SO tired of people bashing Durham. It's old nonsense. I doubt the folks who bash it have spent any significant time there visiting different areas and experiencing life there. To an extent, Knightdale has to deal with this too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 07:55 AM

41 posts, read 66,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristatetransplant View Post
Where do you live in Brooklyn? I moved from Park Slope (where there were two separate murders on the street a couple of blocks from my house--totally not what you'd expect in Park Slope) to Durham and think that the areas people are recommending are safe, affordable, and generally great.
We're in Cypress Hills, on the border of Woodhaven. Shortly after we moved here, the area was being marketed as "Highland Heights," and there was lots of construction, new businesses opening up, etc. Then the housing bubble burst and poof!...nothing. There are half-completed projects all over the area and "coming soon" signs that have been up for years. As much as we're not fans of gentrification, without it, there's no hope of this neighborhood improving. It's become a necessary evil. The schools, city services, access to shopping, even mass transit are substandard here. It's better than it was, but not by much. We're fortunate that we live on a nice block, with nice neighbors, but the surrounding area is still a mess. I want my kids to be able to play outside, ride their bikes, etc. It's just not an option where we are right now.

It's encouraging to hear that you're satisfied with Durham, given that the Slope is such a sought after area. I can't imagine that you would trade down, right? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary