Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2007, 12:40 PM

5 posts, read 32,197 times

Advertisements

My wife, two kids, and I are originally from the Northeast. We moved to Parker, Colorado a couple of years ago, but are not completely happy here.

The weather is very unpredictable. It can be 70 one day and 30 the next with snow. The area has a very generic feel. All the stores and restaurants are of the "chain" variety.

The crime rate is very low, air/water quality are very good as are the schools. But, we miss the water of the east coast and would like warmer winters than what we have here. Would also like something of a "small town" feel with decent amenities not too far away.

We are looking for a nice suburb of Raleigh. My wife is a teacher earning 50+K a year. I am a personal trainer, (in-home training), and I charge $58+ per session.

I guess we are looking for an area comparable to where we are, but within driving distance to the ocean and with a milder climate. The Raleigh area seems like it may be a good match.

Can anyone offer some advice? Much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 01:27 PM

420 posts, read 1,397,536 times
What?? You didn't like our white Easter?? Or...the fact that we had white out conditions this morning and the sun is shining bright now?

We are in Colorado Springs, and are heading East for much the same reasons! We've settled our search in Clayton. We are out of here the first week in June. I am a bit nervous, we have excellent schools and the *best pediatrition ever...but we are moving to great schools and hopefully great medical care as well.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:11 PM

193 posts, read 245,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zatchman View Post
We are looking for a nice suburb of Raleigh. My wife is a teacher earning 50+K a year. I am a personal trainer, (in-home training), and I charge $58+ per session.
I'm not sure how much personal trainers make in the Triangle but your wife will likely take a pay cut if you move to NC.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEmHorns View Post
I'm not sure how much personal trainers make in the Triangle but your wife will likely take a pay cut if you move to NC.
Yeah. We figured she would. But if it isn't too dramatic, and the costs are lower, it may balance out. Where we live the median home price is over 300K. Daycare and medical costs, in addition to the cost of her medical insurance is very expensive.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priorityonecb View Post
What?? You didn't like our white Easter?? Or...the fact that we had white out conditions this morning and the sun is shining bright now?

We are in Colorado Springs, and are heading East for much the same reasons! We've settled our search in Clayton. We are out of here the first week in June. I am a bit nervous, we have excellent schools and the *best pediatrition ever...but we are moving to great schools and hopefully great medical care as well.
Great! Someone who completely understands! What can you tell me about your choice (Clayton)?

Maybe you can e-mail me after you move down there to let me know your thoughts. I would appreciate any insight you can offer.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:07 PM

420 posts, read 1,397,536 times
We chose Clayton because we wanted the small town feel, with big town amenities close. We love to drive up to Denver for museums, theater, etc...but enjoy coming back down to a smaller town. Good schools were very important to us, and Wake Forest while it was our first choice in terms of location and community...got knocked out real quick due to the bussing/overcrowding problems.

We like the planned communities in Clayton...the one we chose has golfing, swimming, athletic clubs, towne square etc. (Riverwood) We want to be close to the ocean (we grew up on the shores of Southern Maryland) so we can easily get to the beach in a few hours from Clayton. We can get "home" to MD in less than a day (close...not *too close!).

Oh...and we are very much looking forward to getting back to trees! Here we have a few "decorative" trees...but we are so looking forward to "real" trees!

Old 04-11-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priorityonecb View Post
We chose Clayton because we wanted the small town feel, with big town amenities close. We love to drive up to Denver for museums, theater, etc...but enjoy coming back down to a smaller town. Good schools were very important to us, and Wake Forest while it was our first choice in terms of location and community...got knocked out real quick due to the bussing/overcrowding problems.

We like the planned communities in Clayton...the one we chose has golfing, swimming, athletic clubs, towne square etc. (Riverwood) We want to be close to the ocean (we grew up on the shores of Southern Maryland) so we can easily get to the beach in a few hours from Clayton. We can get "home" to MD in less than a day (close...not *too close!).

Oh...and we are very much looking forward to getting back to trees! Here we have a few "decorative" trees...but we are so looking forward to "real" trees!
Yes. Seeing real trees again would be nice. It's amazing the things you can take for granted. We truly miss being near the water also. We don't need to be right on it. Two to three hours out is fine.

But, after doing some research, I don't know if we will be able to make the move. It may be too much of a salary cut for my wife. I also read something about no teacher union in NC. So that has her concerned as well.

I'm not going to give up just yet though. I need to be real thorough in my research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary