Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 01:48 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,650 times

Advertisements

You defenitely want to read the book of covenants and rules, thorougly, before you decide to buy. This will spell out the rules and exactly what the HOA has powers over. The HOA has to abide by the covenants, as well as the homeowners, know what I mean?

The HOA cannot evict you, but if they ever decide to impose a special assessment (for pool repairs or whatever) the cost will be spread among the homeowners. If you don't pay, they can put a lein on your property.

My first home was in an HOA. I promptly got on the board of directors, after a mudfest over the paint color I chose for my (previously abandoned) home. As a director, you can help 'steer' the HOA, and we made ours much less about nit-picking and more about the betterment of our community. If we ever buy in an HOA again, I will certainly get involved and I always recommend to people that they do so-it's YOUR home and YOUR HOA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 01:51 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
WHY is artistic considered to be rebellious?? And what is wrong with purple? On the right house in the right amount it's lovely! Look at all those painted ladies in San Fran! But of course I realize that the average suburban home (mine included) does not have enough character to pull of purple, which is just a shame.

I totally agree with that. Creative and classy does not equal rebellious. I have no problem with HOA's for people who enjoy that safety net, but I don't think "rebellious" is the appropriate word for people who don't want them.

My mom lives in a 400K neighborhood in Raleigh and one of her neighbors has an entirely purple house and it looks AWESOME. She's also an artist and the whole scheme all the way down to the landscaping and hardscaping is really very well put together. Whenever we drive through there with someone, people always specifically notice tihs house and mention how adorable it is!

Old 08-19-2007, 02:01 PM

579 posts, read 2,863,681 times
Depending on your covenants, the answers to all your questions are a possible yes. It depends on how strict your HOA is but remember there are term limits for directors so if at any time a new BOD is elected, they can make changes to the by-laws and enforce the rules as strictly as they want to. So just be aware that even if it is lax now, that may suddenly change someday (as in the case of my neighborhood where they are trying to assess fines to some residents for a few weeds growing in their plant beds). They can assess you for special projects but it may require the vote of the members. If you lapse on your dues for whatever reason, they can put a lien on and foreclose on your home. I know that is not likely for many people but life throws things at you and if you had a serious hardship and can't come up with that $600, well say goodbye to your house. If you want to live in a neighborhood where the covenants are enforced to keep the community as uniform as possible, then go for it. Many people enjoy the benefits of their investment being protected. If you are the kind of person that views your home as your home and not so much an investment and you want to live in a place that allows more freedom for your individual expression, than it may not be for you. Whatever you do READ THOSE COVENANTS before you sign ANYTHING.

PS I love the age old analogy of the cars up on blocks. I have seen plenty of non-HOA neighborhoods and talked to many people that live in them and no one that I've spoken to has had any real problems with anything like that. In fact, I suspect that the stories of HOA nightmares far exceed the crazy neighbor with a car up on blocks scenario by far.

Old 08-19-2007, 02:03 PM

11 posts, read 28,482 times
I only meant something simple like red or green or black for the door, not anything crazy. It just seems odd to have to ASK, that is all. It is bad enough for two spouses to agree on colors sometimes, then to add the neighbors' two cents in .

I was more worried about an overzealous nitpicking situation, with busybody types snooping and looking for offenses, which probably never occurs. I, of course, want my home and my neighbors homes to look wonderful and maintain the community's property values and maintain the appearance the neighborhood was originally planned to have. I just did not know what to expect with a governing board ruling over my property.

Thanks for the advice about the covenants and restrictions, I will check on this thoroughly.

Old 08-19-2007, 02:08 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
WHY is artistic considered to be rebellious?? And what is wrong with purple? On the right house in the right amount it's lovely! Look at all those painted ladies in San Fran! But of course I realize that the average suburban home (mine included) does not have enough character to pull of purple, which is just a shame.
Lots of purple? Maybe not, but a hint of it here or there, I can't imagine any home so bland that it couldn't handle it.

I have a pretty standard home...white with black shutters....but I do have a purple front door. (And with an HOA no less, though ours does less then nothing even when they need to.)

No one has ever complained about my purple (Eddie Bauer Raisin actually-a medium deep bright plum shade) door and I've got nothing but compliments on it.

Thing is, I am now thinking of painting it a caribbean blue...slightly lighter/brighter then the purple. We'll see. (Does that make me more 'rebellious' or less? **wink**)

Old 08-19-2007, 02:12 PM

579 posts, read 2,863,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEROVERS View Post
II was more worried about an overzealous nitpicking situation, with busybody types snooping and looking for offenses, which probably never occurs.
I must respectfully disagree here. Never say never. It can and does happen. I'm going through it right now. I didn't hear from my HOA for 2 1/2 years and now we have a few volunteers going around (by that I mean, they weren't elected) and inspecting people's property on a weekly basis, sending notices and threatening fines. And I'm not talking about serious offenses, we are talking about the lawn being a few inches longer than they would like, a few weeds that might sprout up in your flower bed, one guy is trying to grow watermelons and they want him to rip his garden out, swingsets that have been here for years are being asked to come down, stupid things like that. The neighborhood is kept decently by all the residents but these few people want to live in stepford and are making life miserable for many, many residents and it's turning into a huge mess. Google "HOA horror stories" and see what comes up to give you an idea of how bad it really can get. Is it likely? no. but possible? yes. Good luck!

Old 08-19-2007, 04:00 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Why buy when you can't even choose your paint color?

Even my landlord lets you paint as long as you restore it when you move.

Why did people ever let these dumb covenants exist? One messy neighbor won't ruin everyone else's property.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:05 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raccemup View Post
I must respectfully disagree here. Never say never. It can and does happen. I'm going through it right now. I didn't hear from my HOA for 2 1/2 years and now we have a few volunteers going around (by that I mean, they weren't elected) and inspecting people's property on a weekly basis, sending notices and threatening fines. And I'm not talking about serious offenses, we are talking about the lawn being a few inches longer than they would like, a few weeds that might sprout up in your flower bed, one guy is trying to grow watermelons and they want him to rip his garden out, swingsets that have been here for years are being asked to come down, stupid things like that. The neighborhood is kept decently by all the residents but these few people want to live in stepford and are making life miserable for many, many residents and it's turning into a huge mess. Google "HOA horror stories" and see what comes up to give you an idea of how bad it really can get. Is it likely? no. but possible? yes. Good luck!

Perfect example of the need to read and believe the covenants and rules.
Don't accept anyone's word that the HOA is "laid back," or "No one worries about that stuff," if the power and authority are written into the covenants.
The recorded covenants and the updated rules are the rules, and subject to aggressive enforcement whenever some bitter clique gains power.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:19 PM

693 posts, read 2,761,051 times
I am actually IN FAVOR of HOAs. They help keep your neighborhood pretty and protects you from having your neighbor building a 2-story barn right beside your property line or something crazy that you don't want to see. There are exceptions though, when the board members get carried away but that's the exception rather than the rule.

I actually wish my HOA were a bit more strict. One of the houses in my neighborhood could use some enforcement because their yard looks horrible lol.

As far as painting your house, just FYI even if you pick a BEAUTIFUL color you may not be able to use it, if a house in proximity to yours uses the same color.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:56 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,008,315 times
I have had both end of the spectrum where HOA's are concerned. Back in CA our HOA was a nightmare. If you so much as accidentally left your side yard gate open you would get fined for it. My neighbor was fined for leaving her garage door open. She was carrying in groceries and some busy body happend to drive by while it was up and reported it. People were fined left and right for no good reason and each fine was anywhere from $50 to 600.00. What was good about that association was they really would not put up with any type of nonsense in the pool area. A family was fined $6K to drain clean and refill the pool because their child (who was not in proper swim diapers or suits) pooped in the pool. But they were I would say extreme on all ends. SO far (11 months) our HOA here (sunset ridge) has been very easy to deal with. We have had plans submitted for landscaping that were quickly and easily approved. our yard torn up for some months and they have not gotten on our case. Down the street a neighbor wanted a trampoline up for her kids and her next door neighbor would not sign the waiver and the HOA approved it anyway. I have not heard any outrageous stories about people getting fined for anything. If I had a complaint here it would be they are too lax with their pool rules. Otherwise it is like a breath of fresh air after out last HOA. I think reading all the material is smart. I think even better would be to drive around the neighborhood and speak to the people living there. Ask the people in the extremely well kept homes how they feel and in the ones that look a little less kept up. I would bet to wager you will get a quick response from the people living there if asked. Especially if they are unhappy with it. The grumbling will come at you fast and furious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary