Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 08:33 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,621,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Exactly! The records person's explanation was that they don't group kids in classes by like ability levels, rather each class is made up of 1/3 high achievers, 1/3 middle achievers, 1/3 lower achievers. Which I am fine with. But they don't know which category my child falls in b/c they don't have his records. They also balance by gender and race, which I think is a great practice. So basically they placed him in a class that needed another male of our race. That was the only consideration.

The reason they test kids in K before they place them in classes is to make sure they have a good academic as well as gender and race mix of each class. The new kids are just plugged in where they need a child of that race and gender to balance out the numbers.
That has to be a difficult job considering there are so many new kids on the block, so to speak. Since they don't know your son's ability, I would think safely they could place him as a middle achiever, IMO. Our school system has similiar placement except adding behavior, meaning the kids with the potiential to be a distraction are equally distributed. Unfortunately, that can't be done if there are so many new arrivals.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 08:36 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
At the elementary level there are no "honors" classes.
No, but there is AIG.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:38 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
Well, that makes more sense. At the school district where I came from, the honors/advanced/high achieving students were seperated fairly soon & put together in one classroom. By 2nd grade, the advanced students are already reading out of textbooks that the other students in the same grade do not get. I can see why it may not always be good to keep things so segregated, though.

I'm sure he'll be just fine. Just gotta get over those new-school jitters!

Old 08-21-2007, 08:41 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
No, but there is AIG.
Which you still have PLENTY of time to be identified for, he's only a 2nd grader

http://www.wcpss.net/curriculum-inst...g-brochure.pdf

Old 08-21-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
Utilize the school counselor at the school. I just happened to know the counselor at tyler's school (he and I went to grad school together) but they are there to help with many issues, some of them being transitioning to new schools (he said he has had so many kids from the north east coming and telling him they simply cannot take the heat and are ready to go home!!!).

There have definitely been some transitional issues with her school, all of the teachers are new to the school and the principal is new, so they are trying to figure out how he works best, his expectations, etc. I am sure your son's school will be the same, the teachers trying to figure out their expectations as well as getting to know the kids.

Ultimately, you will be fine, and he will be fine, but use your instincts and wait it out to see what is best for him

Good luck

Leigh
Leigh, thank you so much for the helpful advise!! I had not thought about the school counselor (old school did not have one). I will check that out!
I also had not thought about heat being an issue. But I must admit we have spent most of the summer inside as we are not acclimated yet.

I appreciate the kind words!!!

Old 08-21-2007, 08:48 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
I haven't read ALL of the replies, but I have a VERY shy 7th grader who has been in a different school every year since 4th grade. It REALLY will be OK. You are taking on way too much stress over this situation (I've been there myself) and your child will pick up on that. Starting a new school is really hard. My DD started a new school 2 weeks ago in 7th grade and CRIED when I left her there ( a 12 year old, and she was highly embarrassed). She told me she hated the school and hated me for making her go. Guess what?
It's now 1.5 weeks into her new school and she loves it.
Kids are more resiliant than us parents are. Just chill out and tell him it's all going to work out, and it will. I know it sounds trite because you're all worked up, but I swear, if my highly shy, easily embarrassed kid can do it, yours will be FINE. Trust me! I've done it several times with several different children now!

Old 08-21-2007, 08:51 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
No, but there is AIG.
They normally don't even test to identify for that until 3rd, or even 4th grade.

It's not the same as honors classes even then,

Honestly....take a deep breath...it will be okay. If your son is picking up lots of stress...it may be coming from you. Be a bit more easy going...he'll get over not meeting his teacher until the first day of class. (Believe me...it's going to happen more then once in his life.)

4 years ago we moved to WCPS....my daughter had met all the grade teachers in passing a few weeks before when we toured the schools (3rd grade)....she ended up in one teacher's class for 2 weeks before they hired another teacher mid-year because so many new kids were coming in....and she moved to that new class.

She still talks about that teacher and how much she loved that half year.

She was ag in Ohio....had to do through the testing again in 4th grade down here. If they are really ag...it will be no problem. It won't hurt to be 'unlabeled' for a bit of time.

While I understand the desire for things to be 'just so' for our kids....we live in dynamic and changing times (both in schools and in the workplace as adults)....we have to encourage our kids to learn to handle that with grace and a positive attitude.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Which you still have PLENTY of time to be identified for, he's only a 2nd grader

http://www.wcpss.net/curriculum-inst...g-brochure.pdf
He's in Durham public schools not, Wake. And the district that we came from starts TAG (same as AIG) testing in the Spring of K.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:59 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
He's in Durham public schools not, Wake. And the district that we came from starts TAG (same as AIG) testing in the Spring of K.
Statewide I believe it is 3rd grade for all public schools in NC. But really, try hard to listen to the voices of all the experienced moms here - we've been where you are and we sympathize with what you are feeling. However, if you can relax a bit all this will be okay a lot sooner.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:59 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
You can request testing at any time...certainly as a new transfer. They honestly don't say 'too bad, so sad, you missed the date before you even got here'

My daughter was in TAG from first grade on where we moved from. She almost missed the 'normal' testing date down here when we moved.

It was no biggie in the long run. They have things in place to 'catch' the transfer students...and with a parent requesting it....it will get done.

Stay involved...just don't stress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary