Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 10:15 AM

24 posts, read 42,465 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for your replies

I am also curious how things worked out with those of you who moved with soon-to-be-highschool-juniors, since that will be the place we're in at the time we're planning on making a move. Did they fit in alright? Were they able to to carry on with their academics easily?

ferrickhead28: thanks so much for posting that link! Those pictures are great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 10:18 AM

420 posts, read 1,397,720 times
I'll have to get back to you...our junior starts school on Monday. At the open house though, the kids all seemed happy and fun...and were dressed about the same style's that dd is "used to" and enjoys. The clases are set up very differently here though...that is going to be a huge adjustment.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:38 PM

How are the classes set up?

Most of the schools I have seen there have 4 periods ("blocks") in each day.. while here at most schools there are 8 periods a day.

Good luck to your daughter on Monday My daughter's first day of high school is Thursday!

Old 08-24-2007, 06:34 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindylou774 View Post
How are the classes set up?

Most of the schools I have seen there have 4 periods ("blocks") in each day.. while here at most schools there are 8 periods a day.

Good luck to your daughter on Monday My daughter's first day of high school is Thursday!
That's also an issue with moving mid-year and yet another reason why, if we do move mid-year this year, we're focusing on CH schools which are not on a 4x4 block program. Our local HS is on a 7 period day program with 2 block days/week. If we were to move to a 4x4 school in November, my son might find that he's only 2 months into Junior year chemistry yet the course is almost over for the NC school.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:05 PM

Yes.. the difference in the schedules are going to make it harder to adjust. But we're not planning on moving mid-year, so hopefully it won't be a problem. I hope everything works out for you and your family, NChomesomeday! Hopefully things will fall into place for all of us

Old 08-25-2007, 06:57 PM

Thanks. School starts Sept 4 here and we're not much closer to jobs that will enable us to move so I think we're here for a while. At this point, I'd really prefer it be my husband who find something first--perhaps next spring so that he can go down first and we can join him over the summer to allow me to get the younger two settled and enrolled in school. Then I'd come back here with my oldest and stay here for his senior year, at least until all his college apps are in and then he can bunk with my neighbors for the last 4 months or so of school.

It's looking more and more like that's the scenario that will play out.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:41 PM

Well, it sounds like you've got a nicely planned out scenario. It should all be fine. And when that's all over.. you can sit in your new home and let out a big sigh of relief.

My family and I are still deciding whether it would be best if we just stayed here until my daughter finished up high school or if things would fall into place better if we moved before her junior year. I guess time will tell!

Old 08-31-2007, 04:51 PM

Hey Priorityonecb, how was your daughters first day of school?

Unfortunately my daughter's first day of high school here was terrible. She came home crying and thats pretty much all she has been doing since orientation yesterday

Old 08-31-2007, 07:17 PM

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that cindylou.

We're still here in MA and school starts Tuesday 9/4 so I'm not expecting tears.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:41 AM

And hopefully you won't have tears

It kills me to see my daughter so upset. She has always been a straight-A student with a good head on her shoulders. I don't want her to be miserable for the rest of the school year and have her grades suffer from that. She says that everyone in her class already knows eachother and the group is very exclusive and doesn't seem to want to let her in. She doesn't care very much for her teachers, either. We talked to the guidance counselor on the phone - she was very snotty to us and pretty much just said "oh, well" and hung up. My husband and I are going to have to march down to that school and do it the hard way, I suppose!

Before I get too off-topic (whoops!) does anybody else have any information on high schools in the area? This will be the deciding factor in where we would be moving to, so it is very important! Hopefully the staff down at those schools are much more concerned about the students than they are here! Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary