Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 04:27 PM

809 posts, read 2,188,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
What exactly is a hipster?
It's so simple really, but hipsters like to make it complicated. Basically, it's a semi adult version of High School cliques.

Here is a partial list.

Urban Dictionary: hipster emos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 05:28 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Apparently, Reno had the hipster vibe he was after!
According to the OP's other posts, he's still on the hunt for his hipster heavern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Ah yes, thread's a year old!
True, but it was revived by someone with a similar question -- perhaps someone can offer her some advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goeastyoungwoman View Post
Not sure where you ended up, but my husband (currently working at the Cal Academy of Sciences) and I (will be working for an educational equity non profit) are planning a move to the Triangle in March of the New Year and would love to know where you landed and if you like it. We're looking in Durham, some neighborhoods in Raleigh, Carrboro, and Hillsborough.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:55 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
Downtown Durham is still the place to go imo. Durham has a great culture downtown that Raleigh doesn't have, being more yuppie-like, and Chapel Hill doesn't have, being more trust-fund hippie-like. Durham downtown is small, a bit grimey, but authentic and laid back.

Durham's current collection of art, food, and culture is pretty amazing - it didn't exist six years ago but it appears to be developing nicely.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:36 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Rhino Records had a great seasonal album called Hipster's Holiday way back in the day with tunes from Louis Armstrong, Eartha Kitt, Miles Davis, Pearl Bailey and others. The term originates back in the Jazz Age, I think.

Quote:
Not sure where you ended up, but my husband (currently working at the Cal Academy of Sciences) and I (will be working for an educational equity non profit) are planning a move to the Triangle in March of the New Year and would love to know where you landed and if you like it. We're looking in Durham, some neighborhoods in Raleigh, Carrboro, and Hillsborough.
I think if you're interested in the same things that the original poster was interested in
Quote:
adults who enjoy the arts, commuting by bike, local shops, decent live music scene.
then you can find spots that are appealing in all three areas of the Triangle. IMO Durham and Carrboro/Chapel Hill have a higher concentration of folks who enjoy the arts, commuting by bike, local shops, and a decent live music scene, but there are certainly areas in Raleigh where that vibe exists, too, but there are more suburban, chain store areas, too.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:47 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Downtown Durham is still the place to go imo. Durham has a great culture downtown that Raleigh doesn't have, being more yuppie-like, and Chapel Hill doesn't have, being more trust-fund hippie-like. Durham downtown is small, a bit grimey, but authentic and laid back.

Durham's current collection of art, food, and culture is pretty amazing - it didn't exist six years ago but it appears to be developing nicely.
I would agree with all of this. Go for the Watts-Hillandale area, or Forest Hills & area between it and downtown if you can find something. Rentals aren't very easy to find, or I should say whatever comes up via the Triangle MLS rents quickly.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:04 AM

924 posts, read 2,103,795 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
According to the OP's other posts, he's still on the hunt for his hipster heavern.
Yeah, it's interesting that if you actually go through jcourting's other posts, almost every single one of them is asking pretty much the same thing (and in some cases actually word-for-word identical), or at least with very, very similar themes, posted to a number of different city-data forums for several cities around the country over the course of six months or so. I'm not sure how to interpret that, exactly. Maybe jcourting really just had a prolonged and scattered but extremely consistent relocation search, that ended up with him just remaining in Reno. Or maybe it's somebody posing as a prospective relocator to try to do some grassroots, crowd-sourced market research about certain kinds of "hipster" areas in various places? I guess the posts may not be quite tightly enough focused for that. But it is kinda weird.

Last edited by tompope; 12-28-2012 at 10:13 AM..

Old 12-28-2012, 11:05 AM

384 posts, read 596,120 times
Quote:
He did say that biking to work was one of the components to being a hipster. He may have been influenced by Reno's most famous bicycle enthusiast, Lt. Dangle.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:11 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompope View Post
Yeah, it's interesting that if you actually go through jcourting's other posts, almost every single one of them is asking pretty much the same thing (and in some cases actually word-for-word identical), or at least with very, very similar themes, posted to a number of different city-data forums for several cities around the country over the course of six months or so. I'm not sure how to interpret that, exactly. Maybe jcourting really just had a prolonged and scattered but extremely consistent relocation search, that ended up with him just remaining in Reno. Or maybe it's somebody posing as a prospective relocator to try to do some grassroots, crowd-sourced market research about certain kinds of "hipster" areas in various places? I guess the posts may not be quite tightly enough focused for that. But it is kinda weird.
Wow, you're right--weird posting history for someone seriously considering moving somewhere. It's like he's throwing darts at the map, then posting in that forum asking the same question asked in other ones.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:07 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
All y'all are welcome to send the OP a DM and ask for details if you'd like.

However (again) -- let's please get back to the "new OP's" question:

Quote:

Thanks!

Old 12-28-2012, 04:06 PM

1,124 posts, read 1,717,177 times
I think that Durham is definitely a "Hipster" environment, but I would caution you that coming from CA you are likely to be a little "put off" by the appearances of the town- its "gritty", transitional, and still evolving so the sleek, upscale ambience that you may be accustomed to is missing from Durham. OUr Portlander was visiting for the holidays and was completely uninterested in Durham after seeing it 'in person', yet Chapel HIll was appealing. Someone in an earlier post mentioned the term grimey and that is a fair assessment to a degree, but there is a lot of renovation and restoration in downtown so its possible to visualize the endpoint, but its a long way off.
IMO you would find the walkability and biking aspects in either town, but as one of our kids says... Durham takes some dedication to embrace fully; and if you're unfamiliar with "THE South", the culture shock is something to consider too. Remember that Durham comes from a tobacco and mill works heritage where Chapel HIll is truly a college town .
Our experience is that Chapel Hill is much more cosmopolitan than Durham and it may be an easier community to embrace for a person from California. But, if you are really into the artsy scene I believe that Durham may well suit your needs as long as you understand that the scope of the "hipster movement" here is on a considerably smaller scale than in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary