Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 09:52 AM

25 posts, read 35,141 times

Advertisements

First off, please excuse any typos. We are here for a week looking at homes and I am on my iPhone. Tough to type.

We found a couple places of interest, but can't understand something. Maybe the locals can help. We are looking at Park at West Lake and Brighton Forest. They are 2.5 miles away from each other, yet Park at West Lake starts $100k more. On top of that, the new homes in Park at West Lake are production and clear cut, while Brighton Forest are custom and wooded with much more space.

Why the big difference in pricing when they are so close together? Is something wrong with Brighton Forest that creates a more reasonable entry price point? Why is Park at West Lake production and why are they clear cutting?

Driving around and mapquesting it looks like Brighton Forest has a slight edge to Raleigh. That usually would create higher pricing. What are we missing? A toxic landfill?

We are so confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 11:13 AM

407 posts, read 1,074,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardwick View Post
First off, please excuse any typos. We are here for a week looking at homes and I am on my iPhone. Tough to type.

We found a couple places of interest, but can't understand something. Maybe the locals can help. We are looking at Park at West Lake and Brighton Forest. They are 2.5 miles away from each other, yet Park at West Lake starts $100k more. On top of that, the new homes in Park at West Lake are production and clear cut, while Brighton Forest are custom and wooded with much more space.

Why the big difference in pricing when they are so close together? Is something wrong with Brighton Forest that creates a more reasonable entry price point? Why is Park at West Lake production and why are they clear cutting?

Driving around and mapquesting it looks like Brighton Forest has a slight edge to Raleigh. That usually would create higher pricing. What are we missing? A toxic landfill?

We are so confused.
I've found some posts by completing an advanced search via typing in Brighton Forest. I'd send you the links, but I'm a computer idiot. Good luck and I'll keep my eyes open, for we are also considering a move to the Raleigh/Cary area within a year.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:00 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,992,368 times
Brighton Forest is in Fuquay and TPAWL is in Cary. You pay a premium to be able to say you live in Cary.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Brighton Forest is in Fuquay and TPAWL is in Cary. You pay a premium to be able to say you live in Cary.
My GPS shows Brighton Forest in Apex and mapquest shows it 16 minutes away from Fuquayvarina.

Why is there such a premium for Cary if they are so close?

Old 10-30-2011, 01:24 PM

294 posts, read 829,183 times
The Park at West Lake (PaWL) started as custom homes (like Brighton Forest). When the economy hit the skids, a number of lots were sold to national builders who build more house for the dollar. It's true Brighton has a Fuquay mailing address and the PaWL has Cary (we were annexed during Cary's quest to take 27539). Both have the faux 27539 zip code.

I have lived in the Park at West Lake for six years. If I had to decide between the two right now, I'd go with Brighton Forest rather than the new lots at the Park at West Lake. With that said, there's some really nice resale opportunities at the PaWL that are discounted.

Good luck and ping me with any questions.....

Old 10-30-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardwick View Post
My GPS shows Brighton Forest in Apex and mapquest shows it 16 minutes away from Fuquayvarina.

Why is there such a premium for Cary if they are so close?
Every time I fill out a form I wish I lived in Cary or Apex. I hate having to write out Fuquay Varina. It's even worse over the phone...

Old 10-30-2011, 06:29 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,814,386 times
If we are talking NEW homes, you have the following options in The Park at West Lake-it doesn't sound to me like you have seen all of these options if you are seeing a $100K price delta between Brighton Forest and TPAWL.

Standard Pacific Builders and Lennar are building in the lots left over in the section formerly known as "The Commons". The commons was the last section of TPAWL to start construction-initially the only builder was a local company called L and L of Raleigh. They built a very nice product-much nicer than the current builders in that section. The transition from L and L to the two current tract/production builders took place early last year. The homes being built now really don't compare to the ones that were built in that section 3 or 4 years ago-you will get more square footage now but you are basically getting a box with very mid level appointments and build quality. Lennar is doing quite well-you can get a good sized family home for under $300K if you are comfortable with very basic floorplans and small lots devoid of trees. Standard Pacific is doing less well-it would appear that square footage rules the day in the Commons. The Commons also has higher HOA dues than any other section in the neighborhood because yard maintenance is included.

The "Carriage Gate" section of TPAWL was recently taken over by Drees Homes, who had built the first section of the neighborhood (the East side of West Lake Road South of Optimist Farm) beginning in 2004. Carriage Gate was originally the sole propery of a local builder named Tom Davis who did little if anything to market himself or his many lots. He built a very nice custom home that started around $500K and the section never took off. I think there are probably families in TPAWL that don't even know that section of their own neighborhood EXISTS. Drees advertises homes starting in the $370s at around 2600 square feet. Carriage Gate lots are large, wooded, and very nice.

The other two sections of TPAWL are "The Heritage" and "The Woodlands".
The Heritage has a handful of lots left that are mostly controlled by Starcraft Builders (the sons of the original developer of the neighborhood). They had a very good run in the Heritage beginning in 2004. The Woodlands is a section of 190 lots that were all (except ONE lot that remains vacant) built on by a group of local custom builders and was pretty much sold out by 2008.

I would be inclined to look at resales in the Woodlands or the old Drees section before anything else in TPAWL because those sections were completed by the builders that started them and they look and feel like they make sense. The homes are also arguably better built and built from superior raw materials because they were built in a market that was appreciating rapidly and the builders were looking to raise the bar to charge more-this is a far cry from what builders big and small are forced to do today to build a new home and sell it at a profit.

I don't know what homes you are looking at in Brighton Forest, but I don't know how you could get one for $100K less than the least expensive new home in TPAWL. Brighton Forest opened for business just as our market weakened. It's pretty, wooded, and the homes are quite nice. You are correct in saying that the two neighborhoods are not that far apart and that the relative location to downtown Raleigh is actually slightly better in BF.

Here is the thing, though-
I live in The Park at West Lake and the vast majority of my neighbors either commute to RTP or South to Sanford or to the Regency area of Cary or they are regular flyers in and out of RDU. Downtown Raleigh proximity does not help Brighton Forest for the majority of homebuyers.
The 2.5 miles between the two neighborhoods puts TPAWL closer to the Crossroads shopping area in Cary-shopping, movies, restaurants, BJ's, Target. That's a long 2.5 miles at 10 o'clock at night or if it is your teenager driving them.
TPAWL is directly connected to the Elementary and Middle Schools that it feeds. Middle Creek High School is within easy walking distance. Middle Creek Park is directly adjacent as well-most TPAWL residents use these resources constantly.
There is a top rated childcare facility (Primrose School) within the neighborhood boundary-parents can drop preschoolers off without driving out of their way AT ALL on the way to and from work. Put a pricetag on this for me.
Brighton Forest is surrounded on all 4 sides by "the country". This may be fine with some people but it is impossible to argue with TPAWL's location relative to the places our kids spend their days.
The zip code may be the same, but one neighborhood is in Fuquay-Varina and the other is in Cary. Cary's tax rate is lower. Cary's services and public workks are superior. Cary's parks department and adult education programs DESTROY Fuquay's. Cary will always be the Triangle town with the big name recognition and the most awareness among people across the country.
I can see how you would drive thru Brighton Forest and then look at the homes CURRENTLY being built in TPAWL and think what you are thinking. There is a lot more to it than just the house, though.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
Cary will always be the Triangle town with the big name recognition and the most awareness among people across the country.
Exactly. Cary will always be the town mentioned on all the national lists. You cannot put a price tag on that.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:54 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
Quote:
If we are talking NEW homes, you have the following options in The Park at West Lake-it doesn't sound to me like you have seen all of these options if you are seeing a $100K price delta between Brighton Forest and TPAWL.

Standard Pacific Builders and Lennar are building in the lots left over in the section formerly known as "The Commons". The commons was the last section of TPAWL to start construction-initially the only builder was a local company called L and L of Raleigh. They built a very nice product-much nicer than the current builders in that section. The transition from L and L to the two current tract/production builders took place early last year. The homes being built now really don't compare to the ones that were built in that section 3 or 4 years ago-you will get more square footage now but you are basically getting a box with very mid level appointments and build quality. Lennar is doing quite well-you can get a good sized family home for under $300K if you are comfortable with very basic floorplans and small lots devoid of trees. Standard Pacific is doing less well-it would appear that square footage rules the day in the Commons. The Commons also has higher HOA dues than any other section in the neighborhood because yard maintenance is included.

The "Carriage Gate" section of TPAWL was recently taken over by Drees Homes, who had built the first section of the neighborhood (the East side of West Lake Road South of Optimist Farm) beginning in 2004. Carriage Gate was originally the sole propery of a local builder named Tom Davis who did little if anything to market himself or his many lots. He built a very nice custom home that started around $500K and the section never took off. I think there are probably families in TPAWL that don't even know that section of their own neighborhood EXISTS. Drees advertises homes starting in the $370s at around 2600 square feet. Carriage Gate lots are large, wooded, and very nice.

The Heritage has a handful of lots left that are mostly controlled by Starcraft Builders (the sons of the original developer of the neighborhood). They had a very good run in the Heritage beginning in 2004. The Woodlands is a section of 190 lots that were all (except ONE lot that remains vacant) built on by a group of local custom builders and was pretty much sold out by 2008.

I would be inclined to look at resales in the Woodlands or the old Drees section before anything else in TPAWL because those sections were completed by the builders that started them and they look and feel like they make sense. The homes are also arguably better built and built from superior raw materials because they were built in a market that was appreciating rapidly and the builders were looking to raise the bar to charge more-this is a far cry from what builders big and small are forced to do today to build a new home and sell it at a profit.

I don't know what homes you are looking at in Brighton Forest, but I don't know how you could get one for $100K less than the least expensive new home in TPAWL. Brighton Forest opened for business just as our market weakened. It's pretty, wooded, and the homes are quite nice. You are correct in saying that the two neighborhoods are not that far apart and that the relative location to downtown Raleigh is actually slightly better in BF.

I live in The Park at West Lake and the vast majority of my neighbors either commute to RTP or South to Sanford or to the Regency area of Cary or they are regular flyers in and out of RDU. Downtown Raleigh proximity does not help Brighton Forest for the majority of homebuyers.
The 2.5 miles between the two neighborhoods puts TPAWL closer to the Crossroads shopping area in Cary-shopping, movies, restaurants, BJ's, Target. That's a long 2.5 miles at 10 o'clock at night or if it is your teenager driving them.
TPAWL is directly connected to the Elementary and Middle Schools that it feeds. Middle Creek High School is within easy walking distance. Middle Creek Park is directly adjacent as well-most TPAWL residents use these resources constantly.
There is a top rated childcare facility (Primrose School) within the neighborhood boundary-parents can drop preschoolers off without driving out of their way AT ALL on the way to and from work. Put a pricetag on this for me.
Brighton Forest is surrounded on all 4 sides by "the country". This may be fine with some people but it is impossible to argue with TPAWL's location relative to the places our kids spend their days.
The zip code may be the same, but one neighborhood is in Fuquay-Varina and the other is in Cary. Cary's tax rate is lower. Cary's services and public workks are superior. Cary's parks department and adult education programs DESTROY Fuquay's. Cary will always be the Triangle town with the big name recognition and the most awareness among people across the country.
I can see how you would drive thru Brighton Forest and then look at the homes CURRENTLY being built in TPAWL and think what you are thinking. There is a lot more to it than just the house, though.
I couldn't rep you again but I have to say this...you know what you are talking about! Exactly!

Want a job???

Vicki

Old 10-31-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:

Standard Pacific Builders and Lennar are building in the lots left over in the section formerly known as "The Commons". The commons was the last section of TPAWL to start construction-initially the only builder was a local company called L and L of Raleigh. They built a very nice product-much nicer than the current builders in that section. The transition from L and L to the two current tract/production builders took place early last year. The homes being built now really don't compare to the onMmes that were built in that section 3 or 4 years ago-you will get more square footage now but you are basically getting a box with very mid level appointments and build quality. Lennar is doing quite well-you can get a good sized family home for under $300K if you are comfortable with very basic floorplans and small lots devoid of trees. Standard Pacific is doing less well-it would appear that square footage rules the day in the Commons. The Commons also has higher HOA dues than any other section in the neighborhood because yard maintenance is included.

Nice detail. Thank you. A little info and some questions.

We are DINK and will work primarily from home, with occasional trips into Raleigh. I can see how having schools within walking distance can be advantageous to some over driving 2.5 miles, but won't ever impact us daily.

Can people outside Cary use the Cary parks and recreation? If so, I don't see the benefit to us to pay so much more for the house when we could live right next door and pay less. Do you have to show ID to use Cary's recreational facilities.

Can you provide further detail on the name of Cary? What will having that name in our address provide us that would be worth the money? We will be buying a permanent home and want the most boxes ticked at the best price. We are not into status symbols for show, so it matters more what we want than what other people think of us based on what we have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary