Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 09:15 AM

25 posts, read 60,243 times

Advertisements

I graduated from North Carolina A&T State University in May, 2011 with a Bachelor Degree in Accounting. My overall GPA is 4.0. I am struggling to find a job. I do have summer internship experience. My salary requirement is $14 Per Hour. If any of you know any open positions please do let me know.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-11-2011 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: This isn't a job-hunting website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 09:19 AM

357 posts, read 1,383,642 times
The AICPA is headquartered in Durham. Have you taken a look there?

Old 11-11-2011, 09:33 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
Welcome to the club! Most college grads are finding it hard these days. You may want to be more flexible in your salary requirements. I have friends that graduated with accounting degrees starting at $10-12/hour just so they can have work in their field. Not saying $14/hour is impossible, just keep your options open.

There are several financial software companies located in the Triangle you may want to consider looking at. Schwab Performance Technologies and Tamarac come to mind.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:04 AM

881 posts, read 2,253,830 times
Probably not your first option but I have seen several listings on CL for tax preparers - many say no experience needed. Granted it's temp work and doesn't pay that great but they do seem to be flexible with hours so you could continue to look for full time work.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:12 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
I know it isn't easy. Check out all the websites that list jobs. Contact headhunters. Send resumes to any company that you know that you'd like to work for. Contact temporary job placement services.

The more resumes that you send out and the more folks that you contact, sooner or later, it pays off. Look at it like a challenge. See how many folks you can contact in one day. Take what is offered to you, even if it is temporary. Those jobs often turn into full time and the experience can't hurt!

Best of luck to you!

Vicki

Old 11-11-2011, 11:46 AM

375 posts, read 1,143,679 times
Have you checked out the temp and recruiting agencies? Some that come to mind are Accountants INC, Accountants one, ACC Staffing, and Robert Half/Accountemps.

They've been the best luck that I've had while searching. Make sure you're checking for postings through indeed.com. It pulls from a bunch of sites and it eliminates repeat searches. Open and update a linked in account, and network through there. Also network through your school or possibly the other local schools.

Good luck!

Old 11-11-2011, 01:56 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,268,147 times
In accounting the first two years are about gaining experience. Forget the money for now, it will come in a couple of years. My wife went through the same thing a couple of years ago. It's frustrating, but just hang in there.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:29 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Consider looking outside the area, in somewhere with a lower unemployment rate (NC is something like #8 in the US for Unemployment) to get your first job; then when you have some experience under your belt, you will have a much better "hand" as far as looking for jobs in areas where you want to live.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:54 PM

22 posts, read 52,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakhtiar29 View Post
I graduated from North Carolina A&T State University in May, 2011 with a Bachelor Degree in Accounting. My overall GPA is 4.0. I am struggling to find a job. I do have summer internship experience. My salary requirement is $14 Per Hour. If any of you know any open positions please do let me know.
You may have to look outside of Raleigh-Durham. I have a friend who grated from A&T w/ a degree in Accounting (4.0 also) in 2003. They started off their career in Charlotte, NC (more opportunities in Finance/Accounting). I dont know if this is still the case, but Charlotte use to be the second largest financial district in the country (after NY).

Old 11-13-2011, 04:27 PM

184 posts, read 802,152 times
Default Sit for your CPA. and stalk the Big 4

You have a great G.P.A., I'm am wondering why one of the national firms (Deloitte, KPMG, PWC, E&Y) did not recruit you while still in school!!!. I would suggest STALKING any contact you have that can get you a contact/connection with one of those firms, you are exactly the type of person they are looking for, I suspect you have not been aggressive enough in presenting your self to them to get an interview.... meanwhile study like crazy and pass your CPA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary