Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 03:28 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times

Advertisements

A "specialty" in this area? I doubt you'll find that....doesn't seem like a big money-maker and law school is expensive...gotta repay those loans somehow. Ask around and see if anyone is related to a lawyer who might draft a letter on his letterhead. That appeal form is something my 5th graders could complete - what you really want is for the U. to think you have some backup, although in all honesty if they are in the habit of getting away with denying on this basis I doubt they will care. The form doesn't even have a place to indicate legal representation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 03:43 PM

37 posts, read 60,200 times
Ok twingles. I guess that's that. Thanks.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:59 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,062 times
Honestly I don't think you need a lawyer for this. I used to work in NCSU's financial aid office where this issue came up a lot and usually all students had to do was go into the office and plead their case to the department head.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:56 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,784 times
Did I miss something? Did you say that your husband has lived continuously in NC for at least a yr before he applied or the time period they consider his first semester.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:04 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabella View Post
As I recall, residence in the state must be for 12 months before the first semester of enrollment.
Yes, and you really have to make it look like enrolling in their university was an afterthought.

As opposed to being the purpose of moving there, which it probably was.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Honestly I don't think you need a lawyer for this. I used to work in NCSU's financial aid office where this issue came up a lot and usually all students had to do was go into the office and plead their case to the department head.
I checked with my husband. He tells me that his department head has no say in the matter. He needs to file an appeal and this is done through the "residency officer."

Old 11-16-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Did I miss something? Did you say that your husband has lived continuously in NC for at least a yr before he applied or the time period they consider his first semester.
The actual amount of time is greater than one year. It depends on what the residency officer chooses as the starting date for which residentiary acts began. Our guestimate based on his data is that it is approximately two years, or more. Like I mentioned earlier, we do not have access to the residency officer's notes or decision details, so we can't know for sure.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Yes, and you really have to make it look like enrolling in their university was an afterthought.

As opposed to being the purpose of moving there, which it probably was.
After speaking to some people, my husband plans on drafting a letter to submit with his appeal form which addresses some of these issues. He was offered admission to several universities. He weighed the factors related to the present (i.e. while in school: decent public transportation, reasonably priced rentals etc.) and the factors related to the future (i.e. after graduation: job prospects in the area in which the university is located, decently priced homes etc.) to ultimately decide on NC State. Weighing these types of factors is something that someone does if they are planning for an indefinite stay. To put it simply, we didn't just move here for him to go to school.

Unfortunately, he did not include this in his original in-state residency application, as he was under the impression that he would easily qualify for in-state status based on the totality of the residentiary acts he has accomplished since he has been in NC. He had no idea that it would be this difficult based on feedback from people in his department who have had to deal with this process before.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:29 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickeeB View Post
I checked with my husband. He tells me that his department head has no say in the matter. He needs to file an appeal and this is done through the "residency officer."
I mean the head of the cashier's office.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:08 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,988,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabella View Post
As I recall, residence in the state must be for 12 months before the first semester of enrollment.
Not first semester of enrollment...there is an initial classification when you apply/enroll, but then you can apply for reclassification at any point in the future. There is a certain window of time before each term during which you can apply for reclassification.

This still boggles my mind. For someone in their 40s who has attended the school for several years, this should be a no-brainer reclassification unless he specifically filed a statement saying "Heck, no...I'm not staying here after I'm done!"

And I really don't understand the "confidential" reason for declining the petition. I understand that the burden of proof is on the petitioner, but still, how can they can not tell the person the reasoning behind the decision?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary