Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 09:43 PM

10 posts, read 16,201 times

Advertisements

I know this may be a simple question for some (or many) but I can't get an answer if I don't ask so here goes. My dad is coming in town this weekend and I wanted to show him a house I was considering making an offer on. I've been to see the house previously with my agent (it's new construction). My agent is going to be out of town this weekend. Is it okay if I take my dad by without my agent? Could the builder deny my agent their fee because I came (once) without my agent? I know this may seem silly but I'm not clear.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 11:21 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Who would be showing you the house?

Old 12-16-2011, 02:14 AM

119 posts, read 394,246 times
I suggest asking your realtor but honestly if you want to go see the house you should be able to so at any time. Besides, it's not like you're buying it without your agent there.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:25 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
Do you mean just checking out the outside or you want to go inside? Or is it just a construction site? My husband and I went back to houses we were interested in plenty of times without our agent but we also couldn't get in without the code

Old 12-16-2011, 06:36 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsweet View Post
I know this may be a simple question for some (or many) but I can't get an answer if I don't ask so here goes. My dad is coming in town this weekend and I wanted to show him a house I was considering making an offer on. I've been to see the house previously with my agent (it's new construction). My agent is going to be out of town this weekend. Is it okay if I take my dad by without my agent? Could the builder deny my agent their fee because I came (once) without my agent? I know this may seem silly but I'm not clear.

Thanks in advance.

No, it is not all right to go in without an agent. Most likely there is another agent at your buyer's agent's office who is covering for your agent. Your buyer's agent should arrange for someone else in his office to let you and your Dad see the property.

If not, your buyer's agent can call the listing agent, and the listing agent can take you in. The seller is paying for agent representation professional showings and professional service.

If you have questions, the listing agent and your agent or whoever is covering for him are the only ones who should answer the questions and pass on your feedback to your buyer's agent. Realtors advise sellers leave the house when it is shown, and most builders are usually not around the sites on weekends. Not only that, but most new homes are considered "construction sites" for insurance purposes and liability rests with the builder. If there is no listing agent, the above still applies with your buyer's agent.

Surely, the above can be worked out while your Dad is in town. The Realtor will make a list of questions and pass them on to the builder.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:38 AM

43,296 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Before taking action, call you agent for his/her input.

Did you and your buyers agent register with the onsite agent?
That should cover it and you should be fine.

Just say, "You remember I was in the other day with my agent, John/Joan? I just wanted my dad to see the neighborhood while he is in town. Can he see the house/model/plans/etc?"
If the on-site person hesitates, or starts to grill you for excessive personal information, or presses you to write up an offer, you have a warning sign anyway about how they do business.
Most onsite people will be fine with it.

If you did not register on your earlier visit, fill out a registration card, leave your agent's business card and enter him/her into the registration card as your agent.
If they hint they will not honor your agent agreement, you have another warning sign about how they do business.

If you get pressured to work without an agent, you can be firm:
"John/Joan is my agent. John/Joan can be my agent here or across the street. Which works better for your company?" It is a little harsh, but it also gets you clarity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Umm, it's not the builder who signed an agreement with your agent to pay them a fee - you did. (See Section 4 of your Buyer Agency Agreement.)
This is accurate, but any contract with the builder will include an agreement to pay your agent. Just confirm that the agreement to pay your agent is included before going to contract on a home.
And, it isn't a bad idea to have the builder's contract vetted by an attorney. It wasn't written to take care of you.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:38 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Could the builder deny my agent their fee because I came (once) without my agent?
Umm, it's not the builder who signed an agreement with your agent to pay them a fee - you did. (See Section 4 of your Buyer Agency Agreement.)

Old 12-16-2011, 07:42 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Ask your Agent.

She will probably say it is ok as long as you don't talk price with the onsite agent! You don't want to appear to excited about the home so that it makes it difficult for her to negotiate on your behalf.

You can tell the onsite agent that "so-and-so is my buyer's agent but she is out of town and I wanted to show my dad a few of the homes I am considering".

Sometimes I'll call the onsite agent to let her know that my clients are coming out for a visit. That sometimes keeps the onsite agent from asking too many questions!

Vicki

Old 12-16-2011, 08:14 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
though it rarely happens, I've certainly contacted an on-site agent before, advised them my clients were coming without me for whatever legitimate reason there was, and asked for them to be hospitable. I've never had a problem with this method working well.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:26 AM

10 posts, read 16,201 times
Thanks for your responses everyone! Just a little more background, my agent contacted me on Tuesday morning and told me she had a family emergency. My Dad surprised me and told me he was coming in town (that was Thursday). So I was just wondering, if I could take him by. I'll try what Mike said and if there's any funny business, I'll leave.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary