Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 12:46 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,174,498 times

Advertisements

Raleigh plans to add more Cameron Village housing, retail :: WRAL.com

This article suggests that yet another housing project may be popping up at Cameron Village. From the sounds of it, this one will be a across the street from the project that's currently underway (demolition) across the street. This is good news for Raleigh in many ways.
  1. More walkable housing options for Raleigh
  2. More tax revenue coming from existing city infrastructure
  3. A denser core in Raleigh will continue to build Raleigh's credentials for the next generation of our creative workforce. Studies show that this next generation prefers in town locations more than previous generations.
  4. More residents in town will nurture existing and future entertainment, dining and retail options in the city and encourage corporations to consider Raleigh's core when contemplating their next moves.
  5. Moving urban Raleigh towards more of a 7 day a week scene.
While this is not technically the city center, it is walkable to the Glenwood South neighborhood downtown. From there, one can pick up the Rline to the rest of downtown. I am looking forward to this and many other recently announced housing projects in and near the city center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 12:53 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,689,217 times
Really? Lots of neighborhood residents are not happy about the increased traffic. It is a Village, after all.

I vote no on more housing there, population will be dense enough when the first project is done.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
Really? Lots of neighborhood residents are not happy about the increased traffic. It is a Village, after all.

I vote no on more housing there, population will be dense enough when the first project is done.
While I can understand your concern, the idea of density driving traffic is not one that's supported by the facts. The reality is that the opposite is true. The greater the population is dispersed, the more traffic exists. The greater the distance between people and the services that support them, the greater the traffic. While it's true that most of these new residents will commute to and from work by car, it's also true that the amount of driving that they do otherwise will be greatly reduced.

Let me give you my real life example. I spit my time between Raleigh and Miami Beach. In Raleigh, I live in Glenwood South. In Miami Beach, I live on a tiny island off of South Beach and within walking distance to almost everything that I need on a regular basis. On that tiny island, there are 10 multi-family housing projects including towers of up to 25 floors and some low rise apartments. There's probably 3000 people or more living on the island full time and another 1000 seasonal residents. The island is connected by a two lane bridge. One might assume that the traffic would be a nightmare from the all those residents but it isn't. Because people don't rely on their cars for everything that they do, the road capacity is fine. Ironically, the roads only get crowded when people from Miami proper drive to the beach on weekends or for special events.

In practice, higher density housing will bring richer options to the community. This is the way that DT gets an urban multiplex cinema or more retail options or more entertainment venues, etc. They also walk to the library. When this happens, people rely less on their cars and more on their feet and bikes. I see much more upside to this than I do a downside.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:34 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Interesting title. It really should say "Raleigh allows private developer to....". Raleigh is not doing squat or committing capital to this, tgey are just not standing in the way of someone else doing it.

Cameron village is a perfect place for this type of stuff IMO.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Interesting title. It really should say "Raleigh allows private developer to....". Raleigh is not doing squat or committing capital to this, tgey are just not standing in the way of someone else doing it.

Cameron village is a perfect place for this type of stuff IMO.
Well, of course it's about the city "allowing" for something to happen. That's how the symbiotic relationship between business and government works in this country. The city has a long range plan. They publish that plan and then set parameters and the framework from which private parties execute on it. Then, the city acts as a gate keeper to make sure that the private plans are implemented accordingly and that the public safety is assured through codes, inspections, etc. I wholeheartedly disagree that the city isn't doing "squat". In case you are wondering, I am not a city or public employee of any kind.

Oh...I do agree that this is one of the perfect places for this sort of project to occur. Needless to say, so does the city.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:24 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Btw, I was not meaning anything against you. It was WRAL's choice of the title I thought was funny.

I understand the whole municipal entitlement process. I just think many people beleivecthat somehow the actual city does stuff like this and wonder why does Raleigh put X in here, why does Morrisville put Y in there, why did Cary put Z in by my house, they'd never do it someplace else. Without perceived need and someone willing to expend dollars to fill that need it just can't happen.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:41 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,160,026 times
yeah i'm pleased about this as well. every time i see more residences coming to dt or close by, it makes me feel like we're at least moving in the right direction, albeit more slowly with the economy than i had hoped.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
yeah i'm pleased about this as well. every time i see more residences coming to dt or close by, it makes me feel like we're at least moving in the right direction, albeit more slowly with the economy than i had hoped.
I think that, without the 2008 financial meltdown, DT Raleigh would be much further along in housing than it is today. The three year pause could have been momentum killer. Thankfully, Raleigh continues to grow along with the demand for housing. That said, I am encouraged that there are no fewer than 6 (3 in Glenwood South, 1 on Hillsborough and 2 in Cameron Village) of new multi-family housing projects in or near DT on the drawing boards. The new hotel under construction in Glenwood South is also a good thing. It too will bring foot traffic to the neighborhood.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:09 AM

334 posts, read 867,754 times
Cameron Village is already a jammed up area. It will only get worse.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:14 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,291,908 times
I would much rather see "infill" development like this than sprawling development. It's funny how people view projects like these. Just goes to show you can't make everyone happy all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary