Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 06:39 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,099,752 times

Advertisements

Or rooves?

Are there any reasonably priced metal roof installation companies in the Triangle?

Are there any alternatives to asphalt or metal?

Any experience with metal roofs? Are they four or five times the price of asphalt?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 06:45 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
We got some quotes from some people and it was significantly more expensive that the usual shingles. And then we found out our covenants restrict against metal roofs so that killed that idea. We couldn't have afforded them anyway though with the quotes we were getting. It was something like $4000 for standard roof versus ~$20,000 for metal, give or take a few thousands bucks for whatever company we were talking to.

As far as alternatives, there's also wood or ceramic.

Last edited by evaofnc; 01-06-2012 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: a

Old 01-06-2012, 08:32 PM

240 posts, read 1,180,362 times
Default Metal Roof consideration?

Metal roofs come in a variety of gauges (thicknesses). The thicker the gauge, the longer the metal lasts. (Pretty much common sense.)

The key to metal roof longevity is the coatings used on the metal.

Ever driven down a country road and seen a barn or shed on a farm with a metal roof? The zinc that was used to "galvanize" the steel has a tendency to "wash off" and expose the steel to the elements. That is why you see rust stains on old barns, sheds, etc. Where you see the rust is pretty likely where you will find a "pin hole" in the metal and ultimately a leak.

In today's roofing choices, the coating that is applied to the steel is the critical component. While these coatings have gotten a LOT better, so far, no manufacturer has developed a product that they are willing to stand behind in regard to the COATINGS. The warranty offers a time limit of the function of the material, not the appearance. Within a short period the coating fades and become "chalky".

Our environment has a great deal of "acid rain" and the UV (ultra-violet) rays from the sun really take a toll by attacking the coatings.

The extremely high cost of metal roofing verses the cost of composition fiberglass-asphalt is a no brainer. You can replace a shingle roof several times and gain a much greater service life at a much lower cost.

Asphalt shingles manufactured by Certainteed (right up the road in Oxford, NC) continue to provide the best value per dollar in the shingle market.

Note: I do not work for Certainteed and as a roofing contractor install all the major brands of shingles. Right now, Certainteed is doing the best job of quality, and provides the greatest weight of asphalt and in my opinion are the industry leader.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:50 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,689,621 times
Not quite 4x as much for a metal roof, but close! I've had estimates for both: asphalt, which is a petroleum product and will get dumped in a landfill in 15 years, will cost me about $3000. A metal roof, which goes right over the old asphalt will be about $10,000 and will last 40 years.

Try McCarthy roofing or Mightyhands roofing. (great guys, both, but I haven't actually gotten the roof yet)

Old 01-06-2012, 09:03 PM

523 posts, read 1,327,090 times
We recently replaced the roof on our front porch, and got quotes for both asphalt and metal. A 15-year asphalt roof would have cost ~$1000, while a 40+ year metal roof cost $2800. So, in terms of annual cost, they were about the same. We chose to go with the metal since (ideally) we'll never have to replace it in our lifetime, meaning less waste. Plus, the metal seems to be more period-appropriate for our 1920s-era house.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:32 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,099,752 times
I found a cost-effective, environmentally friendly metal roof option: Too bad I'm not a drinker.

Aluminum Can Roofing (Beer Can Shingles)

Old 01-07-2012, 08:35 AM

240 posts, read 1,180,362 times
Default Roof ventilation increases roof service life

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
. . . A metal roof, which goes right over the old asphalt . . . .)
We would urge you to research and use caution if you are considering installing a metal roof over asphalt shingles. Adequate and appropriate ventilation will affect the performance and longevity of any roof.

Hope this helps you make an informed decision and get a long service life of any roof that you purchase.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:20 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,689,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Trent Hicks View Post
We would urge you to research and use caution if you are considering installing a metal roof over asphalt shingles. Adequate and appropriate ventilation will affect the performance and longevity of any roof.

Hope this helps you make an informed decision and get a long service life of any roof that you purchase.
J, you are correct, and I forgot: one roofer said the metal could go right over the asphalt. Another said it would void the warranty! If I do go with the metal, I will be sure to double check on this!

Old 01-07-2012, 09:11 PM
vq1

134 posts, read 683,167 times
Default Over shingles is just one of the problems...

As pointed out above, double check the warranty requirements as to "over an existing layer of shingles" whether you go with metal or with shingles.

Also, if you are using the Standing Seam type of metal roof, yes - you should expect a 40 year life out of the metal roof.

However: Most residential installations use the 5-V style with washer-sealed fastening screws. My experience was that the seals did not last 15 years and they were not covered by the metal roofing manufacturer's 40 year warranty. Many of times not covered at all due to "improper installation." You might end up having to water-seal each fastener, either by replacing each or (as I did) applying a dollop of tinted silicone caulk to each of the 1,000s of fasteners.

So much for what I thought was to be a 40 year warranty - Don't expect yours to be any better than the work and the word of the installer.

From an environmental aspect as to where used asphalt shingles will end up in 15 (or 25) years? My guess is that there will be reuse or recycling programs in effect similar to how road paving asphalt (and concrete) is currently reprocessed for reuse.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:43 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,142,685 times
When one is considering roofing choices, the vastness of variety of choices available in metal, in style, material, color, finishes, design, and quality absolutely dwarfs the number of choices in asphalt shingles. It can be confusing why you can see hog barn material so cheap, and why a residential metal roof can be so expensive.

Some homes look good with metal roofs, and some metal roof installations look out of place, even if done to the letter of the manufacturer's installation instructions.

Heavy gauge 5V looks great on some older homes, but as vq1 points out, maintenance of exposed fasteners will be needed over time.
I really dislike the look of PBR profiles on most residential structures. It always strikes me like an equipment shed roof, that is OK if it leaks a little from time to time.

The real advantages of standing seam roofing are non-exposed fasteners which provide tremendous resistance to wind tear off. Although, my ideal roof on an older home would be a standing seam roof with hand formed seams. $$$$

There are homes around from the 1800's with the original roof in place. I know a couple in Durham with original metal shingles. It would be sad to see them replaced with asphalt, but metal shingles with historical detail would be insanely expensive today.

Most old roofs like that are terne steel, i.e., with a high lead content zinc finish on the steel roofing. The lead is inert and malleable enough to form with the roofing, and last for a very long time.

Similar to modern asphalt roofing, often those roofs are replaced due to jackleg molestation of the material rather than material reaching the end of an under-rated service life.
We replace roofs due to poor installation and maintenance more often than because of roofing material wearing out.

I like metal shingles because they can be installed with less scraps. However, a well measured roof kit from any manufacturer should yield less scrap and waste than a kit provided without any care of scrap.

I have seen copper shingles that I would love to have on my home. Semi-permanent, and expensive beyond belief. I would expect to be in the $700 range per 100 SF for shingles alone, no labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary