Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 09:43 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,603,324 times

Advertisements

Howdy,

So I did some searches, but wanted some up to date information on a vegan type diet and some good restaurant options. I am doing the 28 day Engine 2 diet and I am on day 5! Unfortunately, my birthday is in 3 weeks and I need to find some good restaurants that might be E2 compliant. The diet is pretty much vegan, no milk, no cheese, no meat, no oils (this might be different), no processed foods, etc.

I am willing to travel, but hoping for something in the D-ham or Chapel Hill.

Any information will be greatly appreciated!
Matt
SW Durham Guy

If anyone is interested in my diet blog, you can take a peak here:
Green Elephant: Carnivore to Herbivore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 09:46 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,158,985 times
Sage Cafe in Chapel Hill is awesome. Vegetarian restaurant with many vegan options: Flash Intro Page

Old 01-27-2012, 09:55 AM

305 posts, read 761,784 times
Sage is indeed pretty good. If you're looking for restaurants that would have non-vegetarian options (for other members of your party) check out the Meatless Monday restaurant list. Many don't limit their vegan/vegetarian options to Mondays. Beyu Caffe has a couple of vegan options on their dinner menu -- might be a nice choice?

Restaurants

Old 01-27-2012, 10:07 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,624,666 times
I don't have a restaurant suggestion for you, but wanted to say good luck on your journey! I made a similar change about 1.5 years ago and haven't looked back! Lost a lot of weight, starting enjoying working out.. it's been great. :-)

edit: Oops, I do have a suggestion - http://www.irregardless.com/. They have some good vegan options. I've only eaten there once, but I don't remember the dish I had being overly oily or heavy. It was yummy! I think it would be a good choice for a birthday dinner. Sage also looks good. Restaurant eating is challenging if you are trying to stay low/no fat vegan. I also avoid salt, which makes it doubly hard. It's worth the effort though for better health!

Last edited by adlnc07; 01-27-2012 at 10:49 AM..

Old 01-27-2012, 11:00 AM

915 posts, read 2,383,594 times
If you want some take-out or custom catering, I highly recommend Triangle Raw Foodists:

*|*fresh, local delivery service (dairy-free, meat-free, gluten-free)

Also, most restaurants in Durham have at least one vegan item on the menu. I would call up different restaurants and ask what their options are.

Also, check out the Vegan Triangle twitter feed for info on vegan meals and the like around town:

https://twitter.com/#!/vegantriangle

Old 01-27-2012, 11:15 AM

413 posts, read 878,307 times
Smile Irregardless!

Another votes for Irregardless. They offer other options as well
(gluten free, etc).

Congratulations on Stellaphante and will power.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
Also, most restaurants in Durham have at least one vegan item on the menu. I would call up different restaurants and ask what their options are.
The only problem with that is if you aren't in the mood for that one item, you are pretty much SOL (unless you then ask the chef to whip up something special for you). And yeah, you can get a salad just about anywhere but I make much better salads at home. I'd much rather go to a restaurant that has multiple tasty 'created from scratch to be vegan' options like Irregardless.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:52 AM

915 posts, read 2,383,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
The only problem with that is if you aren't in the mood for that one item, you are pretty much SOL (unless you then ask the chef to whip up something special for you). And yeah, you can get a salad just about anywhere but I make much better salads at home. I'd much rather go to a restaurant that has multiple tasty 'created from scratch to be vegan' options like Irregardless.
I understand.

In terms of other vegan options in the western half of the Triangle, check out Butternut Squash:
Butternut Squash Restaurant

Sitar also has lots of vegan stuff on the menu.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:48 PM

100 posts, read 289,588 times
Whole Foods has vegan options on their buffet as well as vegan cupcakes in the bakery. The cupcakes might be good for your upcoming birthday.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachgab View Post
Whole Foods has vegan options on their buffet as well as vegan cupcakes in the bakery. The cupcakes might be good for your upcoming birthday.
Unfortunately Whole Foods uses oil in most of their prepared foods (both hot & cold items). You can find a few things that would be Engine 2 compliant however, if you really scrutinize the ingredient lists. I've had better luck with the cold items in the deli case than the hot bar.

Their vegan offerings also seem to vary by location - I've never seen their vegan pizza at the Cary store, for example. I guess it's a case of YMMV (your mileage may vary)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary