Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 03:38 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,659,477 times

Advertisements

Well, today I started the process of looking for places for permanent assisted living care for both parents. Presuming that I can even find a place that will accept them both ( due to her health conditions), I'm extremely concerned about how I might afford to pay for this with going into bankruptcy (again) since this will be strictly private pay.

Since they don't have LTC insurance or any assets, has anyone out there come up with a creative way to afford something like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 04:05 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,605,367 times
Try to contact a geriatric care manager - I am going to need to as well soon but in another state - from what I've heard, they can really guide families through the process and help find resources. I know these facilities are incredibly expensive AND you want a decent one -

Geriatric Care Management Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill | Aging Family Services

Stressful time, I know - hang in there.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:18 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,384,606 times
What is your parents income? Is it enough to cover the monthly cost of assisted living? Generally, no ltc insurance and no assets = medicaid.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:23 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,426,727 times
Do they have Medicare?

Old 01-30-2016, 04:42 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,311,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
What is your parents income? Is it enough to cover the monthly cost of assisted living? Generally, no ltc insurance and no assets = medicaid.
That's what I was thinking. They now have look back provisions for people who try to pass assets on to prevent people from handing over assets to their heirs in anticipation of the expenses. I believe this period is three years.

From my understanding there is quite a bit Medicare won't cover under these circumstances.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:52 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,582,206 times
Veterans Aid and Assistance is available for former combat veterans.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:56 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,384,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
That's what I was thinking. They now have look back provisions for people who try to pass assets on to prevent people from handing over assets to their heirs in anticipation of the expenses. I believe this period is three years.

From my understanding there is quite a bit Medicare won't cover under these circumstances.
My understanding is that medicare doesn't pay for assisted living, except for a short duration after a hospitalization. Medicaid is the program that pays for long term assisted care.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:03 PM

45,421 posts, read 60,608,674 times
North Carolina Nursing Home Medicaid Rules Explained

Adult Medicaid Manual MA-2240 TRANSFER OF ASSETS

The lookback is now 5 years.

The VA program is Home and Hospital.

Assisted Living Facilities - Geriatrics and Extended Care

Old 01-30-2016, 05:03 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
I also believe that once your parents can no longer afford to pay for their continuing care that Medicaid will pay for their basic care.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:11 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
What Bo said. Medicaid will kick in when they run through their money. There are some nice facilities that accept medicaid patients in the nursing home section I know. I was looking at Croasdaile in Durham for my folks at one point and they would have taken my dad straight into nursing (he would have been moving from another nursing home). I'm not sure what their policy is on Assisted, but it's a very nice place. I would have been happy to have my folks there, but my mom ended up at Carolina Meadows after my dad passed away. It was a little closer to my house and she had toured it before so felt a little more comfortable with it. They don't do Medicaid, though.

Do they have a home you can sell? We did that. None of my siblings or I were ever going to live in Fayetteville again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary