Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 09:07 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,437 times

Advertisements

We're trying to decide where in the Triangle area we're most interested in moving to. We're empty nesters, and these are some of the categories we think we have a handle on. We realize there are good and bad parts of every city, but do these look right in general? Cultural and entertainment are another matter we're still trying to figure out...
  • Best Medical Care: Chapel Hill or Duke (Raleigh less)
  • Highest Household Incomes: Cary (Durham lowest)
  • Highest Home Costs: Chapel Hill (Durham lowest)
  • Most Suburban: Cary
  • Most non-Chain Restaurants: ?
    • Most Foodie Friendly: Chapel Hill
    • Best Grocery Stores: pretty even?
    • Best Farmers Market: Carrboro
  • Lowest Prop Taxes: Raleigh & Cary (CH highest)
  • Lowest Crime: Cary (Durham highest)
  • Lowest Cost of Living: Durham (CH highest)
  • Lowest Unemployment: Chapel Hill (Durham highest)
  • Best Educated: Chapel Hill & Cary
  • Most Conservative: Raleigh & Cary
  • Most Population Growth: Raleigh & Cary
  • Best Primary Schools: Chapel Hill
  • Most Religious: Raleigh & Cary (CH least)
  • Most Married Pop: Cary
  • Newest Homes: Cary (CH oldest)
  • Most Vacant Homes: Durham (Raleigh least)
    • Most Rentals: CH (Cary least)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 09:18 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
Quote:
Most Conservative: Raleigh & Cary
If Raleigh and Cary are the most conservative, I wonder where that leaves places like Clayton and Wendell

And I'm not sure what you mean by most religious?

Quote:
Best Medical Care: Chapel Hill or Duke (Raleigh less)
I also don't really agree with this one. Rex and Wake Med are both excellent hospitals. Plenty of private practices around town as well. I supposed if you're looking for highly specialized care the university hospitals may be a better bet but then again it seems like Duke Hospital has a new scandal every couple of years.

Last edited by evaofnc; 03-02-2012 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: s

Old 03-02-2012, 09:27 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
If it were me, I'd be comparing the age and family demographics too. I think that is equally as important to the happiness and satisfaction quotient in a relocation.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:40 AM

487 posts, read 891,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Most non-Chain Restaurants: ?
  • Most Foodie Friendly: Chapel Hill
  • Best Grocery Stores: pretty even?
  • Best Farmers Market: Carrboro
Disagree with all of these. Chapel Carrboro wins on grocery stores, but I think either Durham or Raleigh win on farmers market and foodies.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:05 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwboy View Post
Disagree with all of these. Chapel Carrboro wins on grocery stores, but I think either Durham or Raleigh win on farmers market and foodies.
Not disagreeing but trying to understand more because we enjoy cooking & restaurants. Seemed like Whole Foods, Harris Teeter & Fresh Markets were all around the Triangle no? And the Carrboro Farmers Market was so much better than anywhere else I've lived I just assumed, I'd love to know which to visit in Durham or Raliegh on my next visit if you can help with suggestions. Thanks!

Foodie I can understand in that Chapel Hill is so much smaller (plus college kids with less food $), and we did find some great restaurants in Raleigh, Cary & Durham.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:11 AM

The Carrboro Farmer's Market is pretty small. Have you been to the main farmers' market on Lake Wheeler Road? It's like the Carrboro one supersized.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:23 AM

1,737 posts, read 2,574,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
The Carrboro Farmer's Market is pretty small. Have you been to the main farmers' market on Lake Wheeler Road? It's like the Carrboro one supersized.
And Cheaper

Old 03-02-2012, 10:26 AM

True as well. I was a bit surprised what people were charging for things like potatoes at the Carrboro market when I went there to pick up my Thanksgiving turkey. I ended up just getting the turkey and heading to the State Market to get the rest of the fixings.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:50 AM

804 posts, read 2,004,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Not disagreeing but trying to understand more because we enjoy cooking & restaurants. Seemed like Whole Foods, Harris Teeter & Fresh Markets were all around the Triangle no? And the Carrboro Farmers Market was so much better than anywhere else I've lived I just assumed, I'd love to know which to visit in Durham or Raliegh on my next visit if you can help with suggestions. Thanks!

Foodie I can understand in that Chapel Hill is so much smaller (plus college kids with less food $), and we did find some great restaurants in Raleigh, Cary & Durham.
i'd definitely say that the triangle area is a foodie haven in all the major parts -- raleigh, durham, & chapel hill. the best farmer's market would probably be the raleigh one as most have mentioned. as for groceries, i think those are all pretty evenly matched across the board.

for medical, i'd think it would depend in general on what sort of medical you are comparing -- hospital care, specialty illness care, .... ?

also are you considering specific areas & comparing only those? like just the major areas of raleigh, durham, & chapel hill? maybe with cary in the mix? because there are plenty of other triangle-area towns or locales which seem to fit more in the conservative vein.

keep in mind that many of these areas are not a huge drive -- the difference would be the frequentness of when you are doing them. for example, i live in raleigh but it's not a major trip for us to go to dinner & to DPAC for a show in durham. were i a major fan of shows that went several times a week, then perhaps it would be a longer drive than i think.

or for medical -- my husband received cancer treatment at duke but when he went on maintenance treatment it was a once-a-month trip to duke from our home in raleigh as opposed to getting major care that might require being closer to UNC or duke.

it's just sort of confusing how you are trying to "compare", i think. maybe you can elaborate on your thought process.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:57 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,767 times
I live in Cary limits. My mail is addressed to Apex. We utilize ALL of the towns that you mention for various goods, services and entertainment. Getting around this area is not particularly difficult, and there really aren't any heavy dividing lines between towns-in fact the opposite is true.

I think you will end up limiting yourself by trying to put each town in a neat little box. It's just not that simple. Have you visited the area before?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary