Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2012, 11:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,452 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

Long story short, I am considering accepting an offer at Duke for graduate school. I'm currently located in Boston and would enjoy to live somewhere close to Duke where I can walk. I would need to be around West Campus, I believe between highways 15 and 147 (If I am reading google maps correctly).

Is this even possible? The little research I have done seems to point to the close area right around campus is dangerous. Is this true?

I think I have become a bit spoiled in Boston. I have a car, but I would enjoy not having to drive everyday if possible. I'd like to live within a mile or 2 max.

Is this possible? If not, other alternatives?
thanks!

*edit* Also, I should have mentioned: I'd like to keep rent at $750 or less, if possible, and I do not mind living with others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 05:20 AM

699 posts, read 1,707,472 times
All sorts of college students live in apartments within walking/biking distance of Duke for under $750/month. Mostly older buildings. As to safety, if you feel comfortable in Boston, you'd likely feel comfortable in Durham.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:32 AM

430 posts, read 627,259 times
Statistically the crime rate isn't that much different from Boston; it's only about 1% higher when you look at it as a per capita rate. I wouldn't think you'd notice much of a difference.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:35 AM

915 posts, read 2,384,294 times
Last time I checked (it was 2008) Boston's crime rate is a little bit higher than Durham's, so if you're comfortable there then you should be here.

FWIW, I live about 2 blocks from Campus Drive in a neighborhood called Burch Ave. It's about a 1.5 mile bike ride from my office in the Medical Center, two blocks to a Duke bus stop that has a bus running to the Chapel every 10 minutes, and one block from a city bus line that runs every 30 (it'll run every 15 if Orange County ever passes the transit tax, but that's another discussion).

My neighborhood's nice. I love it. I've never felt unsafe here, and my girlfriend and myself routinely walk around at night by ourselves. We're a very diverse neighborhood. We have a restaurant owner, a few line cooks, graduate students, a professor, two attending physicians, quite a few janitors, and at least one construction worker all on my block alone (I forgot professional photographer, water engineer, social worker, and a few others too).

You don't have to be near West Campus. In fact, I'd say the nicer, more walkable area is near East Campus. We're about 1/4 mile from East Campus, which means we're about 1/4 mile from the bars at Brightleaf Square and about 3/4 mile from Whole Foods. We're also about a mile down the street from Five Points, one of the areas of town that has quite a bit of nightlife. I'd rather be here then near West Campus, which is pushing the boundary of West Durham and isn't very walkable for things like nightlife and groceries. Don't forget that Duke has a very good bus system, and the Bull City Connector can take you from anywhere along Main Street to the Hospital every 15 minutes.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:19 AM

843 posts, read 2,102,080 times
I'm trying to think of an 'unsafe' area near west campus and can't think of one. I can think of a block or two, but no neighborhood or section. Look for a place in Old West Durham, Trinity Heights, watts-hillandale and Birch ave area. Close to 9th st. , bull city connector and Dook buses.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:11 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,162,150 times
I work with graduate students at Duke and the only issues I've heard of are break-ins when they do something like leave their patio door wide open while in classes. Use common sense and you'll be fine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary