Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 09:28 AM

404 posts, read 2,617,086 times

Advertisements

does anyone have specific suggestions for washers and dryers(both top load and front load)and where to get them in raleigh9best buy,lowes,etc).
Ive heard some of the front loaders can be really loud/vibrate -which scares ,me a little.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 11:19 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,064,146 times
Over in the "House" section of the city-data forums, you can find a few threads about washers & driers. Here's a link so you can do a search if you like.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/house/
If you look around enough, you're bound to come across some of my glowing reviews of my new LG washer & drier. I am IN LOVE with these machines - especially the washer.

We got ours at Sears during a weekend when they were having a sale and a special promotional offer (which saved us hundreds of dollars). Worth every penny.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:30 PM

123 posts, read 486,214 times
We got our Kenmore Elite HE5 front loading washer and dryer from Sears after shopping around for quite a while. We absolutely LOVE them!! Have them in an upstairs laundry room without the risers and they do not shake or vibrate at all. They are SO quite that I'm often not sure if I remembered to turn them on even when I'm right outside the laundry room!

Plus, they're red!

Old 09-09-2007, 02:06 PM

65 posts, read 267,278 times
I usually get my appliances from Sears, however I did things different and were much smarter this time around. I fell in love with the front loader LG in cherry red. I decided to buy mine from Home Depot because it was cheaper than all of the other appliance stores/chains and the warranty was much cheaper. Also, home depot usually have a sale on free shipping. Front loaders use less water and it keeps your electric and water bill down compared to the old top loader.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:00 PM

404 posts, read 2,617,086 times
anyone have whirlpool duets, or maytag epic

Old 09-09-2007, 06:21 PM

107 posts, read 425,537 times
Default consumer reports recommends LG tromm and Whirlpool Duet ht

I always use consumer reports when making big purchases and I have always been satisfied. I quickly checked the ratings for front loading washers and the top rated machines were the LG tromm and the Whirlpool duet ht.
FYI, I had a whirlpool at my last house and I was very pleased. My current house has a frigidaire gallery front loader and I dislike it. I feel it is rough on my clothes and the only setting that dries the clothes is the Very dry whites.
I do not recommend frigidare gallery. It also vibrates alot in the spin cycle and it can be loud.

Last edited by chemteacher; 09-09-2007 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: add a comment on the vibration

Old 09-09-2007, 06:34 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,179,716 times
Lowe's home improvements.

Maytag is not what it was. It's low level junk now and needs to be avoided.

Our first Maytag set gave 16 years w/o service. The second was in the landfill in less than 3 years.

Roper is totally ungadgeted but tops in reliability and low in price.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:17 AM

29 posts, read 313,201 times
Default more economical?

I have read in Consumers and elsewhere that the front loading washers, although more expensive to purchase, will save money because among other reasons they use less hot water. Since we only was with cold water does that not negate their advantage for us?

Old 09-10-2007, 07:31 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,064,146 times
Rudent, my clothes definitely come out cleaner in my LG Tromm than in any top loader I have used. I have actually had old stains come out in my LG that refused to come out in our old washer, despite spot treatments & everything. I've been extremely happy with it. There's a reason why Consumer Reports consistently puts it at the top of their ratings.

I wash most things in cold water (my only exception is my sheets). If I happen to be washing anything that is stained/dirtier than normal, I simply press the "stain cycle" button. This lengthens the wash cycle, but doesn't use excess water.

I don't know how much we are saving in water consumption because our LG is the only washer we've had in this house (we just moved in this past Spring). I should probably dig up our bills from our last place and compare the numbers.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:32 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,179,716 times
Their lack of reliability and high repair costs from complexity many times more than negate the savings.

Remember, the more electronic garbage on the machine, the more expensive repairs will be.

Check Consumer Reports reliability chart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary