Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 02:20 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:

Honestly...does anyone really believe that ONE COMMENT (whether it is positive or negative) would make a decision for someone to move or not to move to an area?!!

Vicki
LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 04:54 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Fair enough. When I stated a home is a place to live, not an investment - I meant in the context of people buying as much (or more) house than they could/should afford thinking it's a good way to invest their money vs other investments. However it happened (I suspect some/many but not all realtors promoted the idea), homebuyers seemed to have a misguided expectation of homes as a superior investment for many years in the run up to the bubble. It never really was for all but a few zip codes.

Your post is more accurate, though universally held by most realtors - I don't pretend to know, you tell me? Thanks...
When I bought my house in 2008, my Realtor pointed to the neighborhood and how it had appreciated 5% in the first half of the year alone - apparently they have a special section in their Realtor web site that is able to calculate that. Now, why would the Realtor association have that info available if they didn't want their Realtors to use it? Makes you think. I had a top performing Realtor who was selling quite a bit of homes as well, not some nooby. She had been in Raleigh for decades.

I agree, Realtors do in fact push the "investment" bit, in addition they also like to tout the "tax write off" myth as well.

That being said, no one forces someone to buy a house. My homes value has dropped roughly 10% to around $165k +/- however we were lucky in that in the proceeding 6 months folks were paying close to $200k for homes in my neighborhood of similar sq ft. We dodged a bullet, and anyone buying now will definitely be making money or at least holding steady in the future. It's my personal belief that housing won't drop much more if any here in the area unless it's select neighborhoods. Actually, one downside to the down market is I notice folks in my neighborhood (me included) put less into their exterior and landscaping because they feel they are sinking money into a hole. This brings down the value even more.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:32 PM

645 posts, read 1,503,569 times
Bought mine 2006 340K

Today lucky to fetch 260K

Glad I paid Cash so I can make it up on the new house when we leave NC.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:51 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
When I bought my house in 2008, my Realtor pointed to the neighborhood and how it had appreciated 5% in the first half of the year alone - apparently they have a special section in their Realtor web site that is able to calculate that. Now, why would the Realtor association have that info available if they didn't want their Realtors to use it? Makes you think. I had a top performing Realtor who was selling quite a bit of homes as well, not some nooby. She had been in Raleigh for decades.

I agree, Realtors do in fact push the "investment" bit, in addition they also like to tout the "tax write off" myth as well.

That being said, no one forces someone to buy a house. My homes value has dropped roughly 10% to around $165k +/- however we were lucky in that in the proceeding 6 months folks were paying close to $200k for homes in my neighborhood of similar sq ft. We dodged a bullet, and anyone buying now will definitely be making money or at least holding steady in the future. It's my personal belief that housing won't drop much more if any here in the area unless it's select neighborhoods. Actually, one downside to the down market is I notice folks in my neighborhood (me included) put less into their exterior and landscaping because they feel they are sinking money into a hole. This brings down the value even more.
I don't know what ideas other Realtors "push" because I only know what I do and say to my clients.

How do YOU know what other Realtors do? How many Realtors have you worked with? Did they all "push" their ideas upon you? Why would you continue to work with anyone that has to push their ideas on you?

I have said this before but I'll repeat it...most buyers go looking for a Realtor because they have already decided to buy a home.

So, why would a Realtor need to "push" any ideas upon them?

Sometimes I wonder if people really understand what Realtors do?

Vicki

Old 03-18-2012, 08:11 AM

107 posts, read 143,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
The stock market has never had a 10-year period where it lost money. It is not for short term investing. While "owning" a home is usually better than renting, a house is a place to live, not an investment.
Yes, it has.

http://www.kiplinger.com/tools/recou...ualreturn.html

And this is not even based on factoring in inflation, as the OP is basing her analysis on. We should compare apples to apples. Factor in inflation and you will find even more losses.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I don't know what ideas other Realtors "push" because I only know what I do and say to my clients.

How do YOU know what other Realtors do? How many Realtors have you worked with? Did they all "push" their ideas upon you? Why would you continue to work with anyone that has to push their ideas on you?

I have said this before but I'll repeat it...most buyers go looking for a Realtor because they have already decided to buy a home.

So, why would a Realtor need to "push" any ideas upon them?

Sometimes I wonder if people really understand what Realtors do?

Vicki
Push may have been a bad word. Subliminally suggesting it might have been more specific.

I don't know why you are fighting this, the Realtor association has always said owning a home is an investment.

Hell this is from June of last year on the Realtors official site:

Americans: Home Ownership Still a Great Investment

and that is just 5 seconds of Googling.

Do Realtors deserve the blame for this? Heck no. They were the salespeople. A good salesperson gives the client what they want. Blaming the Realtors is like blaming the CS rep at AT&T for your ridiculous bill when AT&T screwed it up. Like I said you can't force someone to buy something that they don't want to buy. I don't think the housing price increase had one single fault, it had many causes, and it sucks for everyone who was left holding the bag (me included). It will pass eventually though. According to Fox today 22.8% of residential mortgages are underwater, that is a pretty big %. Almost 1:4.

Heck look at the Retirement/Investment commercials out there. I think good Realtors do a great job of steering folks wanting to buy a house in the right direction, MUCH more so than "financial advisers". The great thing about a home is you can live in it!

Last edited by wheelsup; 03-18-2012 at 09:27 AM..

Old 03-18-2012, 11:47 AM

33 posts, read 147,482 times
Real Vs. Nominal Housing Prices: United States 1890-2010 [CHART]

Old 03-18-2012, 11:50 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Hell this is from June of last year on the Realtors official site:

Americans: Home Ownership Still a Great Investment
Maybe do a bit more Googling.. that article is about an opinion poll where Americans in general were asked questions, not realtors.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:56 AM

103 posts, read 279,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
Bought mine 2006 340K

Today lucky to fetch 260K

Glad I paid Cash so I can make it up on the new house when we leave NC.
You are very fortunate that you choose to purchase in NC in 2006. Had you been in many other states you could knock another 80-100K off what you would fetch today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCfolks View Post
Well let's see now. We can pay a mortgage for 15 years and be done with it, which is what we are doing, or we can pay rent forever. Hmmmmm.

We can put money in the bank at .75% interest and then lose on inflation or we can keep pace with inflation on average by owning our home. Hmmmmm.

We can invest in the stock market and hope we make money, but after the horrible 10 year rate of return and the complete unknown of future speculation.....Hmmmmmm.

Own your home or not? You make the call. We did and we are very happy.
You failed to include other crucial factors. 1) The pride of home ownership has a positive affect on ones well being (watching equity build-up adds to this feeling) and 2) The tax benefits including but not limited to the tax deductable mortgage interest payments, taxes, and other expenses.

Home ownership is absolutely an investment and a core holding in ones financial planning.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Maybe do a bit more Googling.. that article is about an opinion poll where Americans in general were asked questions, not realtors.
Yep I read it. Still very misleading. Not like you would expect them to publish a report saying don't buy a house.

All I can go on is my own experiences. In my experiences with Realtors in several cities across several states, every one touted the long term investment line and they touted the mortgage write off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary