Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 09:55 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Now that we are here and settled, we have a bit more time to explore. Every Sunday morning my kids go to Sunday School on Cornwallis Rd. in Durham from 9:30 until 11:30. Rather than drive back to Chapel Hill, I thought I'd take this time to check out some sites around there. So far, I've discovered Costco. Any other fun things to do around there to kill 1 1/2 hours? It looks like the Tobacco Museum is nearby. That looks neat. Any other fun/historic spots? Of course, Sunday mornings a lot of things probably aren't open, but if you know of anything, please share.

In a similar vein, on Tuesday afternoons, my oldest has Hebrew school in the same location from 4:00 to 5:30 PM. I will have my two younger ones with me (1st grader and Pre-K). Anywhere fun - parks or historic sites to bring my kids for an hour nearby? Costco, even with all of their free samples, might get old for them.

Thanks so much for any ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 10:34 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
I believe Duke Gardens is open by then on Sundays. Definitely worth walking around. Perhaps the Nasher Art Museum as well? On Tuesdays definitely check out the Museum of Life and Science with your kids.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:27 AM

305 posts, read 761,343 times
Second Duke Gardens -- great for a stroll! You're also close to trails in Duke Forest if you'd be up for a short hike.

Even if not much is open, walking around the American Tobacco Campus is nice for a walk along the water features.

If you want to eat on Sunday morning, you have great options. Check Foster's Market or Guglhupf on University, or hit Scratch downtown.

Forest Hills Park is close by and has a nice playground (with splash grounds, nice this summer) for your kids. Other options on Tuesdays would be checking out the Scrap Exchange downtown (open til 5) or Bull City Craft on University.

It's a fun part of Durham -- enjoy!

Old 03-20-2012, 11:39 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,612 times
Duke Gardens for sure.

Breakfast at Dame's, although they open at 11 and there are lines now that everyone has realized how awesome they are

Old 03-20-2012, 11:51 AM

Thanks so much, guys! All of those options sound great! I've been wanting to visit the Scrap Exchange. Duke Gardens and Forest Hills Park sound great, also. I'm excited to check out new places. :-)

Old 03-20-2012, 01:32 PM

533 posts, read 1,199,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I believe Duke Gardens is open by then on Sundays. Definitely worth walking around. Perhaps the Nasher Art Museum as well? On Tuesdays definitely check out the Museum of Life and Science with your kids.
+1 on the Museum of Life and Science, although there is so much to do there, that it may be better for times when you have more than 90 minutes to occupy. My kiddos think that the MLS, combined with a trip to Pelican's Snowballs is the makings of the pretty great afternoon.

You also may want to google the Stir Crazy Mom's Guide to Durham blog for other ideas.

Last edited by Sweetpea1107; 03-20-2012 at 03:00 PM..

Old 03-20-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea1107 View Post
+1 on the Museum of Life and Science, although there is so much to do there, that it may be better for times when you have more than 90 minutes to occupy. My kiddos think that the MLS, combined with a trip to Pelican's Snowballs is the makings of the pretty great afternoon.

You also may want to google the Stir Crazy Mom's Guide to Durham blog for other ideas.
Yes, I think we'll give Museum of Life and Science a full day. Thanks for the blog idea, which reminds me to check out the Chapel Hill Mom blog I follow. She goes all over the Triangle.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:12 PM

We went to Forest Hills Park this afternoon, and the kids had a good time. Lots of shade, which was nice. The water feature wasn't working, but that was okay. We heard a lot of croaking frogs! We also found a park right off Cornwallis called Cornwallis Road Park. It looked good, too, but in full sun, so today was not a good day for it. Thanks again for the ideas. And keep them coming. I think we have 10 more weeks of school to cover! :-)

Old 03-21-2012, 07:26 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,622 times
Count my vote for the Museum of Life & Science too. Even if you save the main museum for a full day, maybe just hit the butterfly house or ride the train when looking to fill a couple hours. Or if you get a membership you can go as often as you want for the year & break it out for them.

Duke Garden, as others said, is good too. And since it changes with the seasons you can go back from time to time & it will be different.

If you want to let them run & burn off some energy head down to Central Park (Foster Street) and they can run around & play there for a bit.

Northgate Mall has a merry-go-round & I think one of those bungee jumpers.

What about a Y membership? They have a kids play room for little kids & video game room for the older tweens. They also have family swim and other things going on all the time (soccer, basketball, etc). There is a location downtown and over at American Tobacco Campus (ATC). The ATC has bikes you can borrow to ride the trail, but I don't know if they have kid sizes?

Eno Park is a bit north of downtown Durham. They have an old Grist Mill that is open sometimes, walking & hiking paths and room to run/play.

Not sure how far these are but Bennett Place, Duke Homestead & Historic Stagville are in the area.

Last suggestion, you mentioned you are around on Tuesdays? Stop by the Visitors' Center (on Morgan). They are very helpful & knowledgable. I'm sure they would be able to give you a lot of good ideas.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:32 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,622 times
OK - this is actually my last idea.

Wheels Fun Park is in North Durham area.

Over in RTP there is one off of TW Alexander too. Frankie's Fun Park I think is the name of that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary