Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 11:44 PM

563 posts, read 955,672 times

Advertisements

I have bought furniture on Craigslist. Definitely be sure to include picture(s) and dimensions as mentioned so that person can tell ahead of time if it will fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 05:28 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,764,863 times
I agree about random people coming to your house. Then wasting your time by trying to negotiate because, "oh I didn't know it had dust on it, well in that case..." or the endless emails and questions for people who aren't going to buy it in the first place.

Try to find a neighborhood yard sale you can crash, maybe a friends neighborhood if not yours, bring your stuff there, set up, and sell.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:38 AM

66 posts, read 129,330 times
We posted a living room and dining room set recently. Mostly scammers replied. A few potential buyers, but no one came to look.
We are going to donate it, called Helping Hand Mission, and they are coming to pick it up this week.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:50 PM

413 posts, read 877,825 times
I LOVE Helping Hand Mission. They show up on time and help people
who are trying really hard to get back on their feet.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:57 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,790,363 times
I've sold a bedroom set on Craigslist without much trouble.... I was firm on the price, and the buyer I went with actually gave me what I asked without attempting to lower the price. My husband was home when he came by to see the furniture, as well (I wouldn't have felt comfortable otherwise).

Pictures are a must though!

Old 04-04-2012, 07:40 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,532,920 times
All these are very good suggestions from some obviously seasoned craiglisters.

1. Put a good price to sell it and let people know you are firm and not to waste your time. If you have a market value or higher be prepared to wait a long time, or never sell it at all. Craigslist are looking for deals and most people overprice their stuff which is why it sits there so long.

2. Describe the item being critical of every little thing. Take pictures of damaged areas.

3. Show good pictures of the item. List deminsions as well. That will screen out a lot of emails.

4. Have them respond with a phone number that you can call to contact them so that if you get an email of a buyer you want to deal with you can call and not email. Sometimes on certain items like cars I will say put "Mustang for sale" in the subject box so that automatic responders from spammers are weeded out. This doesn't always work because people don't read everything there most of the time. So make it short and sweet.

5. Have the stuff in the garage or outside for safety. Sometimes you can meet in a parking lot of a grocery store or something but most of the time the item isn't worth it or I don't want to chance them not showing so I don't do that option anymore.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:43 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,165,285 times
We've sold a lot of furniture on Craigslist, and it's great and relatively easy. The spammers are the biggest hassle, that and "no shows" who set a time but never arrive. I tend to prefer to have the furniture out in the garage for showings....and it's not that hard to screen serious shoppers from bored people looking to talk. But there are a lot of used furniture resale stores in this area, and they tend to be some of the earliest responders to nicer furniture, usually with a lowball offer.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:15 PM

144 posts, read 468,716 times
I have a latest macbook pro that I bought 6 month ago for sale. Turns out that I still a uncool PC person.

Not sure how best to sell it

Old 04-09-2012, 01:31 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,532,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunspotzsz View Post
I have a latest macbook pro that I bought 6 month ago for sale. Turns out that I still a uncool PC person.

You wonder how to tell the difference between a spammer and real person? Well what you read above is "Spammer Talk". Don't respond to that.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:52 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,336,248 times
Dimensions and photos (multiple views) are so important. And take the time to turn the photo so it's not "sideways". I'm not a bird, I can't turn my head to see a sideways picture (although I keep trying, but my devices turn sideways when I turn them sideways!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary