Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 07:48 AM

142 posts, read 481,677 times

Advertisements

Hi. I was looking for more information about the Raleigh area and was hoping some of you might be able to help me. I was wondering if there are affordable suburbs within a half hours drive of Raleigh, where we could purchase a small one level home, with a fenced decent sized yard, preferably a 1/4 acre (or more) for under 175,000?

Also, is Raleigh dog friendly?

Are there a lot of homeowner's association rules in the area? Especially in regards to fencing and (indoor) pet limits?

I was wondering what kind of wildlife a dog owner would need to be concerned about - snakes, ticks, fleas, etc? (I know they are everywhere, but are any types prevalent in the area, and are any a big issue?)

Also, I know alligators are in parts of North Carolina, do they go as far north as Raleigh? (Please don't laugh if they aren't, it was hard to tell by the map when I looked it up...)

Are there a lot of activities to do with dogs? Parks, dog sporting events, dog friendly restaurants?

Is it fairly easy to rent with animals, while we were looking around trying to find a home?

Thanks for any info - and anything else you might think of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 09:01 AM

328 posts, read 767,357 times
Renting isn't a problem, unless you have large dogs or "aggressive" breeds (which I completely disagree with. The sweetest dog I ever knew was a pit bull). HOAs are picky too about what dogs you can have. Some places you cannot have an outdoor dog house. My husband and I have indoor cats but I really want a couple of outdoor dogs and build a nice big shed for them to "live" in. I don't believe in having dogs as lawn ornaments with a dog crate as their "house".

And no need to worry about Gators. Ticks are a big issue here, so you'll want to check your pets regularly, even in the early winter, if you live in the country. We usually have fairly mild winters and ticks are stubborn! Fleas, I am not sure, since I don't have a dog right now. Please make sure your animals have their vaccines up-to-date and heartworm meds.

There was a rash of dog thefts for a few years (when the economy went down and people starting selling them or using them for dog fights /sad). I recommend microchipping your pets too.

There are some dog parks in the Raleigh/West Triangle area. I am relocating to Wendell (east of Raleigh) in a few months for that extra land like you said, around the same price, also a one-story. It's like we're the same person! Ha!

Last edited by redandorangeskittles; 04-02-2012 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: stealin some dogs

Old 04-02-2012, 09:13 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEEDMORESPACE2 View Post
Hi. I was looking for more information about the Raleigh area and was hoping some of you might be able to help me. I was wondering if there are affordable suburbs within a half hours drive of Raleigh, where we could purchase a small one level home, with a fenced decent sized yard, preferably a 1/4 acre (or more) for under 175,000?

Also, is Raleigh dog friendly?

Are there a lot of homeowner's association rules in the area? Especially in regards to fencing and (indoor) pet limits?

I was wondering what kind of wildlife a dog owner would need to be concerned about - snakes, ticks, fleas, etc? (I know they are everywhere, but are any types prevalent in the area, and are any a big issue?)

Also, I know alligators are in parts of North Carolina, do they go as far north as Raleigh? (Please don't laugh if they aren't, it was hard to tell by the map when I looked it up...)

Are there a lot of activities to do with dogs? Parks, dog sporting events, dog friendly restaurants?

Is it fairly easy to rent with animals, while we were looking around trying to find a home?

Thanks for any info - and anything else you might think of.
Mostly yes to all your questions.

1. Dog Friendly -- Raleigh area isn't dog friendly to the point where store owners welcome dogs in the stores and on patios...but Raleigh is dog friendly and there are dog parks. In Raleigh (city) there are leash laws and need to have rabies tag and registered but in Raleigh (county) things are more relaxed.

2. typically HOA's require fencing to be in the backyard, they'll want to approve the fence, and some might have pet limits -- some of the older HOAs are less restrictive and it is possible to find homes that aren't in HOA neighborhoods. HOAs might also have something to say if your dog is outdoors all the time. Seems to be more of a problem if you have a pet pig or want chickens. Dogs/cats are deemed somewhat 'normal' unless you are raising or breeding...

3 & 4. snakes -- there are copperheads in this area but I haven't seen or heard of alligators. I don't hear a lot of dogs getting bit by copperheads -- but I am sure it must happen. I've been here for 13 yrs and heard of one woman getting bit, but no animals. Ticks/Fleas -- we have to use frontline plus year round here. *sometimes* I take a break in Jan/Feb but NOT this year it has been too warm. Frontline plus seems to keep ticks and fleas off my animals.

5. The SPCA in Wake County does do dog-friendly events like a dog walk. There are also meet-up groups that do dog-friendly things - hikes and such. so I'd answer 'yes' - but you might need to seek these out. I have seen dogs at the outdoor patio of wholefoods @ wade ave but I don't take my dog with me places, so I haven't really thought about this a whole lot...

6. renting - that is a great question. Depends on the breed as stated previously -- those that are deemed aggressive by the apt building insurers have a harder time finding apts (german shepherds, pit, rott, etc).

Good luck! and welcome to the area! you will LOVE being able to be outside most days of the year!

Old 04-02-2012, 10:49 AM

459 posts, read 757,699 times
No alligators here, but lots of Florida Gators, and we don't bite !

Old 04-03-2012, 01:30 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies! They were all very helpful.... :-)

Old 04-03-2012, 02:05 PM

662 posts, read 1,644,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvNC View Post
Mostly yes to all your questions.

1. Dog Friendly -- Raleigh area isn't dog friendly to the point where store owners welcome dogs in the stores and on patios...
Haha alligators (Sorry OP!) Agree with all except the point above.. there are several places that welcome doggies on their patios in the city, you just have to know where they are. Here is a decent list of dog-friendly businesses in Raleigh including restaurants. Also there is at least one bar I know of (the Bison!) that has a doggy day where you can bring your dog and get a treat.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:39 PM

Thanks MrsRhythm for the info on the dog friendly places...like I said, I knew it sounded like a stupid question, but if you look at the map of alligator range, it looks pretty close to Raleigh: Redirect Notice

Old 04-04-2012, 02:11 PM

662 posts, read 1,644,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEEDMORESPACE2 View Post
Thanks MrsRhythm for the info on the dog friendly places...like I said, I knew it sounded like a stupid question, but if you look at the map of alligator range, it looks pretty close to Raleigh: Redirect Notice
I see what you mean, yep hard to tell!

Old 04-04-2012, 03:21 PM

18 posts, read 32,968 times
I'm late to reply, but there are many outdoors restaurants that allow pets. I know I see dogs all the time around the tobacco district in Durham. I also find most of the coastal beaches (excluding Wilmington) very dog friendly - great for weekend trips.

I currently live just outside Creedmoor (my house is on the market for close to your budget, but isn't one level) and personally feel it is very dog friendly up here. As long as you keep the dogs on a leash and clean up afterwards. There are many parks throughout the area where there are always other dogs around... and not the purse poodles

Old 04-05-2012, 06:43 AM

Thanks for the info Matted. We're looking at a few areas on the East Coast and still need to sell our home, so even if we decide on the Raleigh area yours would probably be gone by then... :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary