Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 02:42 PM

14 posts, read 19,506 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I am a married 29 year old mother of 3 little girls. I am born and raised in CT and my husband and I are looking into relocating to NC. My FIL and his wife currently live in Holly Springs (they moved a couple years ago). They have nothing but nice things to say about the area. Altho I enjoy certain things about CT (apple picking, great pizza, great camping, Italian heritage), I am country at heart. I would love to live in a country home with nice acreage, sipping on some sweet tea. My husband really wants to move close to his father. I have been searching the forums and reading a lot of posts and gaining a lot of knowledge about NC, but I still have a question. Are there any really country neighborhoods in the triangle? Like streets with dirt roads and neighbors that are not on top of each other? We would be looking to rent a home for a little while and are looking for a place with a good school system (the kids are 7, 4 and 7 months). Thanks a lot for the imput and opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 03:06 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
It seems to me you are going to find a trade-off between quality of schools and rural-ness.

"Country" here tends to be the real deal - not that quaint New England-y kind.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:24 PM

748 posts, read 1,376,146 times
I rent a house exactly like what you are describing but it is in Durham (in Orange County). I LOVE it...no neighbors closer than a 1/4 mile, but only 8 minutes to get to work which is off 15-501 in the middle of the action. But you would be about 45 minutes minimum from your FIL....not sure if that would work for your hubby!

Old 04-10-2012, 03:27 PM

i understand. I am not looking for New England-y country. I really love to be in a small country town with no Walmart and all small, family owned stores lol. When I say country, I mean no neighbors for miles, dirt roads, tons of land, small community, having to drive into town. But I do understand that I probably can't have great schools and that type of country I'm looking for, but is there a place in the area that has some country (not cookie cutter homes) and good schools?

Old 04-10-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormnc View Post
I rent a house exactly like what you are describing but it is in Durham (in Orange County). I LOVE it...no neighbors closer than a 1/4 mile, but only 8 minutes to get to work which is off 15-501 in the middle of the action. But you would be about 45 minutes minimum from your FIL....not sure if that would work for your hubby!
Thanks for the help. Yea, that would probably be too far for him (not for me tho ). But if we can't find a place to rent thats not on top of other houses, then too bad for my husband lol.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:38 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybull View Post
i understand. I am not looking for New England-y country. I really love to be in a small country town with no Walmart and all small, family owned stores lol. When I say country, I mean no neighbors for miles, dirt roads, tons of land, small community, having to drive into town. But I do understand that I probably can't have great schools and that type of country I'm looking for, but is there a place in the area that has some country (not cookie cutter homes) and good schools?
Doesn't WalMart typically go into smaller towns/country areas and destroy the local economy by wiping out the mom 'n pop stores for miles and miles around it?

On a side note, you'll really have to go far out in the country if you want to avoid being developed in the next few decades. Some areas grow more rapidly than others. Chatham County might be a good place to look if you push your search out towards Pittsboro or look in the western watershed of Jordan Lake.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Doesn't WalMart typically go into smaller towns/country areas and destroy the local economy by wiping out the mom 'n pop stores for miles and miles around it?

I know thats why I said no Walmart. Sorry if it came out wrong. Thanks for advice, I will look into that area.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:28 PM

932 posts, read 3,097,752 times
What about between Holly Springs and Garner. There's plenty of country in the southern part of Garner and out toward Willow Springs/Fuquay Varina, plus it's not far from Holly Springs.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:53 AM

38 posts, read 68,028 times
Check out Franklin county, louisburg, or granville county if you want to stay around the triangle but not in the center of it.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:58 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
Quote:
I really love to be in a small country town with no Walmart and all small, family owned stores lol.
Pretty sure those don't exist anymore, at least not around here. Well, maybe Pittsboro doesn't have a Wal-mart yet lol. That would put you about half an hour from Holly Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary