Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 06:40 PM

11 posts, read 58,066 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm curious what good (if not the absolute highest end) customer builders are typically charging for new homes on buyer-owned lots these days? Has the economy created opportunities for good deals?

My folks are retiring from Connecticut to the area (most likely on the Chatham side of the Orange/Chatham border) and looking to put up a 2500 sq. ft, 1-story house on a basement foundation w/2 car garage. They'd like to be otd for under 500k. The lot will be 125k, which leaves 375k for the house, or $150/sq. foot. That's with everything (including excavation), and a good job (decent appliances, cabinets, countertops, not top of the line, but not builder grade).

Does this sound reasonable?

Does anyone want to recommend a good builder in the area? Are you one?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 05:57 AM

513 posts, read 1,604,898 times
that should cover it. you are looking $145-175 per ft with the basement and a footprint that big.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:48 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,754,355 times
If 375 for the house then you have to subtract at least 50K for the basement. Basements (not finished but the shell) will cost you about an extra 50K. Thus 325K /2500 sq feet = $130 per sq foot. Isn't this more in the mid range for custom?

OP, keep in mind in N. Chatham county the problem w/ basements is it is very rocky there. The builder will quote you a basement price and then tell you that if they hit rock in the build process you have to start adding dollars for excavation which is pretty heafty.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:20 AM

646 posts, read 2,049,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BH1973 View Post
Hi,

I'm curious what good (if not the absolute highest end) customer builders are typically charging for new homes on buyer-owned lots these days? Has the economy created opportunities for good deals?

My folks are retiring from Connecticut to the area (most likely on the Chatham side of the Orange/Chatham border) and looking to put up a 2500 sq. ft, 1-story house on a basement foundation w/2 car garage. They'd like to be otd for under 500k. The lot will be 125k, which leaves 375k for the house, or $150/sq. foot. That's with everything (including excavation), and a good job (decent appliances, cabinets, countertops, not top of the line, but not builder grade).

Does this sound reasonable?

Does anyone want to recommend a good builder in the area? Are you one?

Thanks!
How set are they on a basement? Will a walkout/daylight basement work for them? (Those work well for a sloping lot.)

There is a reason they aren't that common in this area.....they cost a fortune for what you end up with because of the land. There are better ways to spend the money.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:53 AM

I think they're pretty set on a basement, but a walkout is just fine, and shouldn't be too hard with a slightly sloping lot (hopefully, anyway). But my father will need a basement workshop and a place to play ping pong.

They're looking to build a smaller version of something like this (in terms of floor plan) with only three bedrooms. The in-law suite (w/or without kitchenette) is a requirement.

http://www.houseplans.com/3189-squar...-garage-(15670)

Anyway, I'm open to any and all builder recommendations. I'm seeing lots of 4000+ sq foot houses new/complete on 1/2 acre lots in more desirable neighborhoods than we're looking at for $130/ft otd, so I think that $140-150 is doable, even for a custom.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:37 PM

646 posts, read 2,049,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BH1973 View Post
I think they're pretty set on a basement, but a walkout is just fine, and shouldn't be too hard with a slightly sloping lot (hopefully, anyway). But my father will need a basement workshop and a place to play ping pong.

They're looking to build a smaller version of something like this (in terms of floor plan) with only three bedrooms. The in-law suite (w/or without kitchenette) is a requirement.

http://www.houseplans.com/3189-squar...-garage-(15670)

Anyway, I'm open to any and all builder recommendations. I'm seeing lots of 4000+ sq foot houses new/complete on 1/2 acre lots in more desirable neighborhoods than we're looking at for $130/ft otd, so I think that $140-150 is doable, even for a custom.
Why can't they have a workshop and ping pong table elsewhere?

Anyway....if they want to keep their budget from possibly being eaten up by a basement, then hope they find a sloping and don't run into problems.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:42 PM

542 posts, read 1,524,354 times
Chandler Design Build would be my builder of choice if he has the time, if not he could definitely recommend great builders in that area that are a cut above the average builder.
CHANDLER DESIGN_BUILD [creative construction]

Mike

Old 05-10-2009, 04:00 PM

Basements are standard in the northeast and I think they'd like one, but maybe not. I think they're very practical and do add useful square footage for minimal cost. We'll explore all options.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:27 PM

632 posts, read 1,843,941 times
We're going to be looking into building a ranch w/ basement soon, too. Having already built one "custom home", I know how much money we "wasted" by not using a plan that the builder already had. If you choose one already being built, even if customizing it somewhat, you'll probably get a better deal than walking in with your own plans. I found a ranch (smaller than what you say they want, though) with a basement option being offered by Drees. Search for their website and see their plans.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:42 PM

TabbyCats,

That's a really good point. Drees looks like a solid company and I imagine if you go with them it just gets done quickly and efficiently, too, as they're such a big outfit. Were you looking at the York? That comes very close to what we're looking for. How customizable are these plans? And have you checked out any other bigger companies like this with a similar model?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary