Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 02:46 PM

741 posts, read 3,511,149 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of this private school for learning disabled children? Or How much is the tuition? Fletcher Academy.

I have been living in Raleigh for almost a week now and my sons school (Stough) elementary is not working out. Their special education program is nothing like NJ's. He has an IEP and is in 2nd grade. He is being screamed at in the classroom for not knowing how to read or do math the way they want him to. Screaming at him will never work, He hates this school, he tells me they are mean.

I know working with a LD child is not easy but we never had any problems in his previous school. He wishes he could be like everyone else, but he's not. He can't help it. aarrgggh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 04:19 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
I don't know anyone who has attended fletcher academy, but I worked at NC State in the office of disability services for students for a number of years.......so, I am sorry your son is going through this, it is not fair to him.

I would also suggest calling the Hill Center - it is in durham, but they have some excellent resources for parents of kids with learning differences. They have tutoring, etc. They could probably send you in the right direction.

I do believe (now this is just my personal opinion) that many private schools tend to be more helpful to students with different learning needs, and part of that could be because they have a smaller student population and it is easier to coordinate the needs of different students.

Anyhow, I would call and schedule some time at fletcher and see what you think. There is an extensive list of private schools on the carolina parent website, that may help as well. I think they also a list of ld resources.

Good luck
Leigh

Old 09-19-2007, 07:16 PM

Thanks Leigh,

The Fletcher school is $16,000 per year. Per year. AAHHH... Does anybody know of a good elementary school with special education services in wake county. I have not bought a house yet , I wanted to wait for this exact reason. Right now I'm in North Raleigh near Crabtree Valley mall. I"ll be interested in anything up to 30-40 minutes from where I am now.

Other then this problem with school for my son, my family loves it here. My husband has a great job that he's starting soon, my daughter has made many friends in school, and has no problems with the school at all.

But this is crucial time for my son, I have to get this right.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:23 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
That's a shame. We went to Stough for 5 years and loved it there. We had a wonderful experience there.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
That's a shame. We went to Stough for 5 years and loved it there. We had a wonderful experience there.
Yeah well I wish I could say the same thing. When a teacher has to yell and threaten a second grader because he has learning disability is a major problem.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:04 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
I have heard good things about the raleigh school, and the tuition for elementary school is 8k a year, which may be worth checking out. I know the preschool is a parent coop, etc.

The other school I have heard about, that is new, is thales academy, but I don't know if they have second grade yet. I thought they were going to open with k-2, but I am not sure. Right now their raleigh school is open and next year they are opening in apex and wake forest. Their tuition is 5k a year.

Definitely check out the raleigh school, and see if that works into your families situation.

Leigh

Old 09-20-2007, 01:00 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Did you try calling the WCPSS main office and seeing if a transfer might help?

Old 09-20-2007, 01:15 PM

997 posts, read 4,645,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
I would also suggest calling the Hill Center - it is in durham, but they have some excellent resources for parents of kids with learning differences. They have tutoring, etc. They could probably send you in the right direction.
I have heard good things about the Hill Center also. Would be worth putting a call into them. I think they are pricey too but like Leigh has said maybe they can offer some help.

Good luck.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:19 PM

546 posts, read 2,417,735 times
Oh my goodness. The mommy in me is getting upset and worked up for you and with you! I hate hearing stories like this. Every second grader should LOVE going to school. I don't know of any place to recommend but I will keep my ear to the ground.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:28 AM

I've been busy here, this is the first time I've logged back on to check the advice from you fine folks.

I also have a 5th grade student and I just recieved a report from her teacher at Stough that she is working above grade level. And she missed the first 3 weeks. My daughter loves the school. She has adjusted well. She does not want to leave, My husband is very happy here, His new job is going to bring us a much larger salary.

I've read someone's post about a school in Raleigh where the tuition is $8k and another school's tuition is 5k? Can you please give me the names of those schools, maybe my eye's are playing tricks on me but I didn't see it in re reading the posts.

My son is the only one with the problem at this school. It's a big adjustment coming from a self contained classroom with 9 other kids with the same learning disability. And now him being in a "regular" classroom with 24 kids who all know how to read, write, make stories, etc. He knows he's not like them and they know somethings wrong with him not being able to write down his work. It is very frustrating. They do pull him out for special ed but it is not like the special ed he was recieving.

If I could just find a solution to this problem we could all relax. I'm making everyone in the house crazy. I can't help it. I'm worried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary