Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2007, 07:32 PM

41 posts, read 134,910 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
We are contemplating a move to Wake Forest next year. We have been to the area a couple of times to look around. We don't want a house on a postage stamp sized lot or one that is too close to the neighbors. We have looked at houses in several subdivisions but we seem to be drawn back to Creekside @ Stonegate. Any words of wisdom on this subdivision? Are there any others you would suggest we look at?

Not knowing the area, is Stonegate far from everything (ex. grocery stores, pharmacy, etc.)? How far are the jr. and sr. high schools?

Where is the closest Y?

Does Wake Forest have good community sports organizations for kids who may not make a school team? We have a 12 yr. old son and one who will be entering college. We would like a subdivision w/ a community pool or we'd like one of our own. My husband and sons love golf so a golf course w/ pool would be a great option too.

What are the closest recreation areas and what do they offer?

We're anxious to learn about the area and any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 08:36 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,849,166 times
Hi Wannabee- search the forum for Stonegate & McCar- it was discussed alot
Also, go to the WF town website- there are lots of town sports programs

There is Jellybeans for roller hockey at Wakefield, they have teams at all levels

There is a new Y in the factory but it has no pool- if you join 1 you can use the Y pool at the Wakefield Y

Old 05-17-2007, 10:08 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,037,211 times
I have lived in wake forest for two years, and have lived in the triangle since I was very young.........so, basically, wake forest is divided by US 1 (or capital blvd) into the east side and the west side. Neither side is better than the other, but the west side tends to have larger lots (and many have community well and individual septic systems), and there are very few commercial properties on the west side. The east side includes the downtown area of wake forest, the seminary, historic wake forest. Stonegate is southeastern wake forest.

There are some neighborhoods with golf courses (you would have to join which can be costly!) but they are wakefield, heritage and wake forest country club. Each of those neighborhoods also have pools in the subdivisions, also a fee to join. The Y is located on wakefield pines drive, basically "in wakefield" subdivision, this is the Y that has the pools, racketball, etc. There is a smaller "off shoot " of this Y at the factory (on south main also called 1A) that has classes and workout equipment. The factory also has indoor ice skating, indoor soccer and some shops (a great bakery!!!).

I haven't been to stonegate in a couple of months, I have had clients look out there and they felt like the homes were big but the lots were small.

If you are looking specifically at new construction, have you looked at:

Dansforth
Bishops Grant (lots of green space, large pool that is going to be built)
Twin Creeks at olde mill stream (no pool though)
Thornrose

I don't know your price range exactly, so it is a little more difficult to make suggestions! I have looked at most of the new construction neighborhoods in wake forest, as well as the resale ones, so if you have questions feel free to email me or PM me.

The parks and recreation system here has a great program and seems to offer many sports things for kids. My kids have enjoyed the programs.

Anyhow, I really love wake forest and have enjoyed living here, so let me know if you have more questions.

Leigh

Old 11-14-2007, 01:29 PM

9 posts, read 29,286 times
Default Bishops Grant in Wake Forest

Hi,
We are considering a move from northern, NJ to the Wake Forest or Cary areas in the Triangle Region. Can anyone give information on which town has better schools and safer neighborhoods. It seems like you can get more for your money in Wake Forest. We have been looking into Bishops Grant in particular as it seems to have nicely spaced homes that are not too close to one another. Also, which town is more convenient to shopping and Research Triangle Park (traffic, distance, etc).

Thanks!

Old 11-14-2007, 04:35 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,037,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Bound View Post
Hi,
We are considering a move from northern, NJ to the Wake Forest or Cary areas in the Triangle Region. Can anyone give information on which town has better schools and safer neighborhoods. It seems like you can get more for your money in Wake Forest. We have been looking into Bishops Grant in particular as it seems to have nicely spaced homes that are not too close to one another. Also, which town is more convenient to shopping and Research Triangle Park (traffic, distance, etc).

Thanks!
I have looked at a number of homes in bishops grant, I thought they were all nicely built. The area on the 98 bypass is going to explode in the next couple of years, making things quite convenient to bishops grant. It is far enough away that you won't hear anything, but will be close to many new shops, etc. Honestly, as far as the schools go, it is probably a toss up. Right now wake forest is less crowded than cary and doesn't seem to get as affected with school reassignment, etc. The quality of the schools are going to be very similar in both wake forest and cary. I think it often will boil down to where you will be working, the type of commute you can handle, etc. I would check out greatschools.net as it can give you some insight as well.

Cary is definitely more convenient to RTP, but it depends on the area of cary I guess! I lived in cary off of ten ten road, and my husbands commute to RTP (miami blvd specifically) was the reason we moved. His commute was an hour and it was miserable traffic. Now, if you live in cary closer to the park, morrisville area then the commute will be MUCH better. From bishops gate in wake forest you are probably looking at 40 minutes to the park, but the traffic would probably not be as bad as there are many alternate routes you can go from wake forest to the park.

Hope this helps
Leigh

Old 11-14-2007, 05:08 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,671,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
I have looked at a number of homes in bishops grant, I thought they were all nicely built. The area on the 98 bypass is going to explode in the next couple of years, making things quite convenient to bishops grant. It is far enough away that you won't hear anything, but will be close to many new shops, etc. Honestly, as far as the schools go, it is probably a toss up. Right now wake forest is less crowded than cary and doesn't seem to get as affected with school reassignment, etc. The quality of the schools are going to be very similar in both wake forest and cary. I think it often will boil down to where you will be working, the type of commute you can handle, etc. I would check out greatschools.net as it can give you some insight as well.

Cary is definitely more convenient to RTP, but it depends on the area of cary I guess! I lived in cary off of ten ten road, and my husbands commute to RTP (miami blvd specifically) was the reason we moved. His commute was an hour and it was miserable traffic. Now, if you live in cary closer to the park, morrisville area then the commute will be MUCH better. From bishops gate in wake forest you are probably looking at 40 minutes to the park, but the traffic would probably not be as bad as there are many alternate routes you can go from wake forest to the park.

Hope this helps
Leigh
It's a bit more then 40 minutes from there...maybe with no traffic....but I live not far from the by-pass and work in RTP....takes me 50 minutes more days.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:02 PM

9 posts, read 29,286 times
Thanks for the information! You really give some great insight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary