Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 10:13 AM

17 posts, read 25,226 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

I'm moving from overseas, where Costco doesn't have gas stations. I'm curious if their gas is comparable in price to local stations, or if it's a bit cheaper.

I'm trying to decide if the membership is worth it for our family

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 10:17 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times
It's cheaper, but you have to wait in line to get it...10-15 cents cheaper than other gas stations seems pretty typical.

Actually, I haven't been over to the Wake Forest Rd Costco since they expanded the gas pavilion (is that even done yet?), so the wait may be shorter. I only shop at Costco once or twice a year because BJ's is more convenient for us, but I've never found it worth my time to sit in a long line to save a buck or two on a gas fill-up.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:22 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickpeas View Post
Hello All!

I'm moving from overseas, where Costco doesn't have gas stations. I'm curious if their gas is comparable in price to local stations, or if it's a bit cheaper.

I'm trying to decide if the membership is worth it for our family

Thanks!
It's cheaper. In my experience in multiple cities, it averages 2 to 12 cents per gallon cheaper.

Obviously, if you have to drive any distance to get to Costco, that's not worth it. But we find savings and quality on so much stuff from Costco that the membership pays for itself easily. Buy one pair of designer prescription eyeglasses and you've paid for the memvershi. Need an AMEX card? Free with membership. And don't forget their online purchases, too.
Wake Forest gas pavilion is open. I didn't wait at all on a weekday late afternoon.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:20 AM

75 posts, read 195,869 times
I've only noticed maybe a 3 - 6 cents cheaper. However, I've noticed that I get less mileage with Costco gas. May sound crazy but it's true. Unless that's where I happen to be when I need gas, I don't get gas at Costco.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:25 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badrep View Post
I've noticed that I get less mileage with Costco gas.
I find this highly dubious, given that all gasoline in this country comes out of a limited number of refineries.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:16 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,150,762 times
you can use gasbuddy.com to search all gasprices.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:37 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,546,002 times
I don't think I've ever waited at line at Costco for gas. Must depend on time of day.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:04 AM

4,263 posts, read 4,715,503 times
Depending on the size of your gas tank, you can save about $1 per tank if you fill up at Costco Raleigh instead of the BP across the street. Costco sells only regular and premium, no middle grade -- too bad if your car's engine requires 89 octane to run well. Payment is by credit card only, and you must insert your Costco membership card first.

If you go to Costco at a peak shopping time like Saturday afternoon, you can expect a 10 minute wait. But there is no queue at other times. If you see a queue when you get there, you can decide whether 10 minutes of your time is worth saving $1.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:18 AM

76 posts, read 173,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Depending on the size of your gas tank, you can save about $1 per tank if you fill up at Costco Raleigh instead of the BP across the street. Costco sells only regular and premium, no middle grade -- too bad if your car's engine requires 89 octane to run well. Payment is by credit card only, and you must insert your Costco membership card first.

If you go to Costco at a peak shopping time like Saturday afternoon, you can expect a 10 minute wait. But there is no queue at other times. If you see a queue when you get there, you can decide whether 10 minutes of your time is worth saving $1.
Couldn't have said it better...

Old 06-09-2012, 08:50 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I find this highly dubious, given that all gasoline in this country comes out of a limited number of refineries.
Not sure what percentage ethanol is in Costco gas, but if they are 15% and the person in question normally buys gas with less or no ethanol there could be a difference. And while most gas comes from the same refineries, there are differences in additives, which shouldn't make any difference on one tank or the other, but over time could allow more gunk to build up. Not sure what Costco does in their gas though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary