Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2012, 09:15 PM

4 posts, read 9,660 times

Advertisements

I spent several years at home when my kids were babies, and then worked part-time for a few years. Now that the kids are older I'm thinking about getting some sort of training or certification in a new career, since my pre-kid field didn't do well in the recession. One area that interests me is occupational therapy.

However, I can't afford to spend a lot of time and money on a program that is unlikely to lead to a job. Does anyone know about job prospects in the Triangle for OTs? I think I'd most enjoy working with children, but am open to all possibilities at this point.

I'd be almost 50 by the time I would finish a program. Will my age count against me, either in getting admitted or later getting hired?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 05:25 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
My wife is an OT. I see lots of post cards and delete lots of phone messages from recruiters looking for OTs. The most in-demand parts of the field seem to be home health, skilled nursing facilities, and pediatrics.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:02 AM

621 posts, read 2,218,840 times
Maybe you can look into an OTA (COTA) program, which is usually a 2-year program. I believe that OT's these days requires a master's degree, but don't quote me on that. My wife is a pediatric OT.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:13 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,566 times
I write for Today in OT magazine, among others, and one of the constant themes is how much in demand OTs are as the Baby Boomers age. That trend will only accelerate in the next few years.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:13 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCanWrite View Post
I write for Today in OT magazine, among others, and one of the constant themes is how much in demand OTs are as the Baby Boomers age. That trend will only accelerate in the next few years.
That seems to go in line with my observation that home health and SNFs are the in-demand areas of this field, based on recruiter phone calls and post cards received at our house.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:31 AM

4 posts, read 9,660 times
Thanks for the replies. It's encouraging to hear that there seem to be jobs. Looks like Durham Tech has a 2 year program to become a COTA. The website mentioned a waiting list for classes---not sure how long that waiting list is. UNC has a 2 year masters program which appears to have very competitive admissions, and would require some prerequisites. Lots to think about...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary