Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2012, 03:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,041 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm 23 and looking to move from Frederick, MD to Raleigh or the surrounding areas.

What are some young peoples' (or anyone's) opinions about living there? Is there any music scene? (I'm a concert photographer).

Are there affordable apartments? I've been looking at GSC Apartment Homes, does anyone know anything about these apartments or have lived in them?

Is Raleigh a walkable or spread out city? Gas prices?

Does anyone know if there are any jobs there right now? Is there a minimum pay that everyone earns around?

Please feel free to spill your guts about Raleigh and the nearby areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 04:07 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
If you have to ask if there's a music scene, it's probably not your scene. I just mean there's a huge scene for certain types of music, but you'd know that if you were into that kind of music.

You might like to check out the area weekly, the Independent, at indyweek dot com.

Raleigh has walkable areas and is very prone to sprawl in other areas.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:18 PM

494 posts, read 816,419 times
What do you consider affordable for an apartment? When I bought gas the other day it was $3.34 a gallon but the price fluctuates based on the price of oil.

Minimum wage is $7.25/hr. Whether there are jobs here depends on your field. Maybe you can check a job board and see if there are any positions listed.

Good luck with your search.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:54 AM

683 posts, read 1,884,764 times
I am originally from Germantown and pretty familiar with Frederick. I would say the nightlife and music scene are pretty similar in both places. You should check out Independent Weekly to get a feel for some of it.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:50 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
There was a time back in the 1990s when Carrboro (in the Raleigh metro area) was "on the national map" for the music scene as a "little Seattle". If that is at the top of the list of things you're asking about, I'd look into Carrboro or Chapel Hill (though CH is expensive). Carrboro has a generally young population, many grad students and former UNC students still hanging around the area.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:45 PM

8 posts, read 7,522 times
It really depends on what type of music you like. Some genres like caribbean, latin, jazz (unless it is a small bar), much R&B and maybe some others are very little or non-existent. If you're into Rock, country, blue grass, country rock then you'll probably have more concerts to attend. just are not available while some others are more common then others. Also when you say walkable it really depends on what area of Raleigh. There are quiet a few areas of Raleigh that are not walkable or bike rideable. Just thought I'd add that in there since some people often forget to ask that as I did because coming from other cities I presumed that all cities accmodate bicycle riders.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:00 AM

49 posts, read 114,608 times
My boyfriend just moved to Raleigh for his job. We found that rent for a 1 BR/1 bath runs anywhere from 670 +. He lives in a relatively nice place near the not so nice areas for about $780/month not including power, water, and cable. Gas prices in his area was $3.44+ last weekend. We have to drive just go get everywhere though. It seems like if you want to rent a place within a walkable distance to other areas, you're looking at well over $1200 for rent. I've been trying to get a job in Raleigh too from three hours away, but so far no luck with interviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary