Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 09:52 AM

167 posts, read 335,004 times

Advertisements

I just spent $4700 on surgery and emergency care for my dog. Now, he needs to be on a very expensive antibiotic for a month, which runs about $800-1000 for the duration. I asked the vets (surgical hospital and primary vet) to fax the prescription to an online vet pharmacy that I have used for years while living in PA and both vets refused to do so. As a result, I have to mail the hardcopy RX to the online pharmacy because by law, they pharmacy can't fill the script until they receive a fax from the vet or a hardcopy prescription in the mail. The reason I was given for the vet's refusal to fax the script is that they "can't guarantee the online pharmacy quality". Well, I happen to know that the pharmacy is licensed, acredited and legit. I'm not asking the vet to "approve" the pharmacy. I just want them to fax the script to speed up the process. I think they're miffed about losing the sale and not interested one bit in helping me save money ($400 in this instance). ANYHOW, sorry for the long rant, but I'm disgused and would like to know if anyone has a vet that actually will work with them on this type of thing and is a good vet. My dog has multiple orthopedic and skin allergy issues, so I'm at the vet's almost once a month and need someone who will work with me on saving a few dollars here and there like my vet in PA did. I'm in Cary right now and would like to move to Morrisville or west/north Raleigh when my lease is up next April. Any suggestions in those areas would work. Thanks in advance for your recommendations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 10:02 AM

621 posts, read 2,218,467 times
My vet has no issues approving scripts from online pharmacies--your vet is definitely trying to make it harder on you for no good reason. I'm with Banfield though, some may not view it as a good vet but we've been very pleased for the last 10 years.

Last edited by douknownam; 07-02-2012 at 10:35 AM..

Old 07-02-2012, 10:21 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,072 times
Are you a Costco member? They carry (some) pet prescriptions and have very good prices - you could bring them the hard copy prescription to fill.

edit: Actually you don't have to be a member to use the pharmacy - just remembered that!

Old 07-02-2012, 10:51 AM

523 posts, read 1,326,608 times
My vet will fax pet prescriptions to just about any pharmacy. Then again, I'm married to her, so I may be getting special treatment.

Seriously, though, I'm not sure why a vet would have a policy like that since it has so much potential to alienate clients like you. Since the online pharmacy you've chosen is going to get the scrip anyway, why not just save you the trouble and the postage and just fax it to them?

Old 07-02-2012, 11:23 AM

915 posts, read 2,382,383 times
Colony Park Animal Hospital refused to fax and made me come and pick it up. I was quite furious, though, because I told the vet during the appointment that I would be getting the meds online and she said faxing wouldn't be a problem.

Needless to say, I'm no long taking my pets to Colony Park and am now at Carver Street with Dr. Crabtree (and colleagues).

Old 07-02-2012, 11:45 AM

399 posts, read 700,555 times
Many antibiotics for animals are the same as for humans but in different dosages. You can get Kroger or Walmart to fill Rx from vets to save money. I had one qualify for the $4 option.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:09 PM

423 posts, read 1,094,794 times
My vet also made me pick up the script and mail it in. I tried Target locally and their prices were significantly more than Dr. Foster's and Smith online pharmacy.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:51 PM

892 posts, read 3,161,189 times
We vet shopped last year and ran in to this as well. Seems smaller practices have less trouble making this available for clients. Try PetSound Animal Hospital in Cary.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:35 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
My vet will do this for reputable online pet pharmacies such as 1-800-PETMEDS.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:54 PM

86 posts, read 207,223 times
This just happened to me today, too. My vet office would give me a hard copy for the script, but would not fax one. We are previous patients of Banfield and they did not give us trouble. We just did not like the care there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary